• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CRS new tank

I assume we don't get a discount from our sponsors?
think I will be spending a lot of money with them soon!

I assume we don't get a discount from our sponsors?
think I will be spending a lot of money with them soon!

Yes if you check the sponsors section some of them offer ukaps members discounts.
Also just to add to naths substrate options tmc nutrasoil is great to for crs. Lowers ph and kh too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Yes if you check the sponsors section some of them offer ukaps members discounts.
Also just to add to naths substrate options tmc nutrasoil is great to for crs. Lowers ph and kh too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Heard good things but have no experience with TMC nutrasoil :)

I did have a trawl through freshwater shrimp but I couldn't see anything so im unsure, I might PM them just to be sure because it would be annoying to miss out.
being so close to xmas it might be worth waiting until some shops offer the soil on special or some shrimp on special!

if TDS is 0, is that a good thing for CRS?

i would imagine my tap water is about 300 as its hard, but most RO units will filter it to pretty much 0.
george mentioned 100-200 is what he aims for?

i plan to connect the unit with a hose adapter to keep it portable, fill up a couple of 25l plastic 'jerry cans' and store for a couple of days until i need them. which means i can pack the RO unit away between WCs

cheers

I did have a trawl through freshwater shrimp but I couldn't see anything so im unsure, I might PM them just to be sure because it would be annoying to miss out.
being so close to xmas it might be worth waiting until some shops offer the soil on special or some shrimp on special!

I maintain a TDS of 150-160 for my CRS and they do well. You'll need to buy some salty shrimp or mosura mineral plus to remineralise the water. Or you could mix your tap with your RO but then your not safeguarded against any 'nasties' in the mains water (such as when they flush systems etc).

so should i be looking to get the salty shrimp GH+ or the salty shrimp GH/KH+

i always thought TDS was the same as GH as it was just the amount of dissolved solids in the water?
cheers

so should i be looking to get the salty shrimp GH+ or the salty shrimp GH/KH+

i always thought TDS was the same as GH as it was just the amount of dissolved solids in the water?
cheers

Tds is a culmination of everything, not just the general hardness. Decaying organics, ferts etc.

Yeah in a clean, undosed tank, your TDS value should give an ok indication of water hardness.

The best thing is to mix the RO water in a tub with Mosura Mineral plus (or your salty shrimp) and take if up to about the 150 mark.

Then check your GH/kh values. If they are right (GH~ 5 and kh 0-1), this method is repeatable as the solution in the bottle is always the same.
So you'll know every time you hit your TDS, in the tub, you'll have the same hardness values.

whats repeatable and what bottle?

i was going to purchase a tds meter that clips inline to the RO unit, but i might get a handheld one so its easier to dip into tubs and the tank.

would you recommend testing a different way? perhaps buying a KH/GH test kit? although the ones that change colour arent accurate, id prefer a digital reading!

after a quick google you cant buy digital testers which is a shame, i guess most of you are using something like the API kh/gh test kit?

so its fairly simple, ive only got to test the kh/gh on the odd occasion and as long as it remains in the parameters you suggest then all i have to do is bump the TDS up to 150 and not worry too much!

il test my water when it comes out the RO unit and hope theres no surprises, everyones water output should be fairly similar if its been filtered though?

cheers

whats repeatable and what bottle?

i was going to purchase a tds meter that clips inline to the RO unit, but i might get a handheld one so its easier to dip into tubs and the tank.

would you recommend testing a different way? perhaps buying a KH/GH test kit? although the ones that change colour arent accurate, id prefer a digital reading!

The method of obtaining a TDS number. The solution in they 'mosura mineral plus' bottle or the 'salty shrimp', as long as always shook before use should give exactly the same GH and kh readings every time, if you go for a set TDS measure.

If you have a DI resin unit on your RO system, then your water will contain 0ppm of anything. Just pure H2O

And yes, I use an API GH/kh kit as a guesstimate. :lol:

* Cue Clive smashing up his keyboard*

yeah i intend to get one with a DI filter. what PH is the water that comes out of an RO unit? 7?

i will get an RO unit, buy some salty shrimp GH and KH, dose it as per the bottle and see what readings i get?
do you think i should get an inline TDS meter with the two probes for meauring ppm out of the tap and ppm out of the RO unit or just the handheld one for dipping into the containers of RO water?

thanks for all your help guys! learning alot!

yeah i intend to get one with a DI filter. what PH is the water that comes out of an RO unit? 7?

i will get an RO unit, buy some salty shrimp GH and KH, dose it as per the bottle and see what readings i get?
do you think i should get an inline TDS meter with the two probes for meauring ppm out of the tap and ppm out of the RO unit or just the handheld one for dipping into the containers of RO water?

thanks for all your help guys! learning alot!

I haven't measured my Ph but I think it will come out acidic at ~6.
Buy a handheld inline one. You can use this to check everything. DI resin needs changing when TDS starts creeping up in the produced water, so you can check the pure RO with it, the tank water, the 'mixing' water.

Mobility is versatility.

excellent, the unit im looking at contains enough resin to fill the chamber initially and then one more fill which is quite handy.

well anything below ph7 is decent for CRS so that will be very handy. il crack on and order the RO and all the gubbins to go with it and test my the water produced!

watch this space! cheers for all your help Nathaniel, im sure theres more to come!

excellent, the unit im looking at contains enough resin to fill the chamber initially and then one more fill which is quite handy.

well anything below ph7 is decent for CRS so that will be very handy. il crack on and order the RO and all the gubbins to go with it and test my the water produced!

watch this space! cheers for all your help Nathaniel, im sure theres more to come!

No worries pal, i don't know much, but what I do, I'm happy to share :lol:

sorry for the stupidity, im confused wiith the additives?

do I get the salty shrimp GH+ or the GH/KH+?

sorry for the stupidity, im confused wiith the additives?

do I get the salty shrimp GH+ or the GH/KH+?

Without looking I believe the GH+ will be aimed at the CRS, CBS and other Thai breeds. Where the ph is kept as low as possible ~6.

The GH/kh plus I believe will be targeted toward alkaline preferring species such as Sulawesi shrimp, where PH needs to be kept up at around 8.

Back