• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cricket

GotCrabs

Hi all, Cricket mad Australian here, wondering if there are any like minded members on here, I could honestly talk about the game all day, all formats, all levels, all countries.

But first, let's get one thing straight, I'm Australian, but hold off with the Ashes comments, I actually wanted England to win The Ashes as I'm not an Australian supporter, wait for it, I'm a South African supporter, that's right, have been since the mid 90's when I really started to get into the sport, Donald, Gary Kirsten, Shaun Pollock, Smith, Cullinan, lots of good memories.

I'm mad about Test Cricket, don't mind ODIs and not much of a T20 fan but will sit back and watch it with a beer in hand, but for me Test Cricket is where it's at.

Read lastnight that Eoin Morgan will be rested for the rest of the domestic season due to the blow he received to the head, does that include Internationals as well? Who will take over the captaincy? Joe Root? Moeen Ali?

Also, how popular is Cricket in the UK? I gather it's not as mad as Soccer (Football) but is it still a popular sport, seeing it's such a non stop, full time schedule for a domestic player.

Follow a little County Cricket, but was mainly following it when Andy Flower was at Essex and Murray Goodwin as Sussex, two great batsmen.

Anyway, if you're a keen, mad Cricket follower, get on here and talk, as I said, love talking Cricket!

Hi all,
I think Eoin Morgan is going to play the one days against Pakistan in the UAE.

I'm a test cricket fan, unfortunately all the cricket is on Sky in the UK, so I mainly listen to the "ball by ball" coverage on the radio.
Cricket is a declining game in the UK, fewer people are playing all the time, and the average age of club teams just gets older and older.

County Cricket shuffles on, but the crowds are pitiful for the County Championship, and some County teams consist mainly of SA "Kolpak" players, and aged Australians.

I like listening and I can visualise the game, but if I hadn't watched Michael Holding, Dennis Lillee, Greg Chappell, Gary Sobers, Rohan Kanhai, Bishen Bedi, Derek Underwood, Geoff Boycott etc when I was a kid, I think I would have saved myself a life time of disappointment, both as an England fan and a club player.

Even though I'm an England fan, my favourite sporting moment is still the 1976 Oval Test, England vs. W. Indies (we lost). Dennis Amiss scored 200, Viv Richards got 291, and Michael Holding took 14 wickets. I don't believe any-one has ever bowled quicker than Holding did that game, and I can picture him running in (from the sight screen) across a brown Oval outfield, accompanied by the sound of empty "Red stripe" lager cans with stones in them being shaken.

cheers Darrel

I think loss of cricket on the BBC had severe implications because nobody presented it better and county cricket went more corporate for a time adding to its demise.Not many schools or local authorities appear to support it much.

Hey @dw1305, I unfortunately didn't get to see the legends like Holding, Sobers, Marshall, Garner, The Chappells, Lillee, would have been great to see the West Indians in their prime, pretty sad what the state of West Indian cricket is in at the moment and well, has been for awhile.

State cricket here in Australia isn't too popular, which is a shame, I'd rather sit back and watch a 4 day state game than an Australian test match, unless South Africa are playing ofcourse, ha.

T20 is the crowd pleaser here, sadly, to me it's just a money maker, I don't see the entertainment in it really.

Yeah I had noticed that there are a few South African Kolpak players getting around the County scene, Smith, McKenzie, Prince, Peterson, Klienveldt, Rudolf, also a few ex New Zealanders getting around also I've seen.

I know what you mean when it comes to listening to the cricket on the radio, I've found it more interesting, plus I can't handle taking in a day's play listening to Healy, Lee, Slater, I usually listen to ABC Radio now.

Some of my favourite cricket moments involve England actually, I remember the battle between Donald and Atherton in I think around 98 or 99? I think Atherton got 98, I think, Donald just tattooed him head to toe with the ball, also Cairns' slower ball to Chris Read to bowl him, what a ball, haha and a lot of fond memories of watching the 97 Ashes series, what a series, big runs, lots of wickets, Hussain's 207, McGrath's 8/38, Gillespie's 7 for, Dean Headley's over after over of bowling on debut, Shaun Young getting a pair in The Oval test, haha.

I think loss of cricket on the BBC had severe implications because nobody presented it better and county cricket went more corporate for a time adding to its demise.Not many schools or local authorities appear to support it much.

Oh really? Yeah local schools where I am don't have sides no more, it's pretty poor that a school can't have a cricket side.

@Andy D, is Sky Sports Pay TV over there is it? It's Fox Sports here, I agree, I refuse to pay to view a game that's usually viewed on free to air TV, it's good when The Ashes is on as ABC, SBS or Channel 9 broadcast it, there isn't enough free to air cricket though, would love to be able to watch other countries play test cricket on TV without having to pay for it through Pay TV.

I tend to agree with you there @Andy D, we only get the home Australian series, the state T20s and sometimes the domestic one dayers, the rest are all on pay tv.

Cricket?:
cricket-47470_640.png

Back