• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Community suggestions

awood85

Getting a fluval roma 125 tomorrow, going to get it all planted up (fairly heavily) over the next week or so and cycling for a while so I'm starting to think about which fish to have as a nice varied community.

I'm planning to get a decent sized chili rasbora shoal, and a decent shrimp/otto clean up crew and I'm looking for other suitable but maybe slightly more unusual/interesting tank mates, anyone have any good suggestions?

Cheers, Adam

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Where are you based Adam and what are your water parameters ? Be good to know that as some fish I could suggest would be better in certain water types. Also, I hope you will be setting up a journal for your new tank :thumbup:

Oh, and Welcome to UKAPS :)

chilis wont like being in with much bigger fish..... they are my favourites though.

I'm based in Luton, a journal will definitely be started in the next few days, picked the tank up this afternoon. :)

I had a water spec sheet which I put up here a little while back, I'll find it again when I get on the pc.

I like the chilis, something a bit different from the cardinals I had originally planned, hoping to get a fairly large group.

The suggestions I was for chili friendly feature fish, something I could just have a couple of, a different kind of movement in the tank if that makes sense.

Still not sure on the style I'm going for, going to find some nice hardscape items tomoro and start from there...

Right then, the tank is setup and cycling. Journal on its way at some point in the next few days.

y2esypyj.jpg

e9ebuty8.jpg

Sorry about the phone pics...

Saw some nice looking green tiger barbs yesterday, how are they in a community tank?

Hi all,
Saw some nice looking green tiger barbs yesterday, how are they in a community tank?
They aren't at all suitable with small fish or shrimps. As long as your water isn't really hard Corydoras pygmaeus would go well with shrimps, Chilli Rasbora and Otocinclus. Dwarf Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila) are good as well with the fish mix, but they appear to be quite effective shrimp predators for such a small fish.

I'd also wait until you have a lot more plant growth and some biofilm before adding the Otocinclus, they are very unforgiving of any loss of water quality, and do much better in established tanks. You also need to feed them vegetables straight away.

cheers Darrel

Nice one, thanks for the warning. I'll avoid those then!

I'll do some research on your suggestions.

tiger barbs! ands otos really do need good care in a new tank, usually there is very little for them to eat ....

Back