• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Reactor for 17mm hose

bjorn

Has anyone found a Co2 reactor like AquaMedic that fits to a larger 16 or 17mm hose? I've upgraded my filter but stick having to still use my old smaller filter just for the CO2.. which had been ok if it didnt take up so much space and the other new filter not been so strong.

I know there are DIY versions but honestly when I do DIY it always goes horribly wrong.

Hi bjorn
The aquamedic takes 22/16 pipe
The hosetails can be cut to take the larger pipe
Matt

mdhardy01 said:
Hi bjorn
The aquamedic takes 22/16 pipe
The hosetails can be cut to take the larger pipe
Matt

I've tried with a 22/16, but it just slides off. Didn't cut it off though.. what would that help? You mean for the flow or? I'm now thinking of maybe trying again with the 22/16 but tighten it up with a Jubilee Clip.. I know it will reduce the flow of my new filter but that's good. It's too strong at the moment!

I got the flow wrong when I bought the new Fluval G6 which is advertised with 2 different types of flow rates (with and without filter media):

Pump Output: 2460 l/h
Filter Circulation: 1000 l/h

I assumed of course that the lower rate is what it is.. but now when I have it switched on it's stronger than the Eheim pump I had before which was 1500l/hour.

Not sure if the 2400l/hour is going to just blow off the reactor?

56b8c870-f3a8-7bdd.jpg

These are the new barbs on the newer am1000
Matt

Attachments

• 56b8c870-f3a8-7bdd.jpg
    56b8c870-f3a8-7bdd.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 56b8c870-f3a8-7bdd.jpg
    56b8c870-f3a8-7bdd.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 78
I think it looks the same as mine. But are you saying it's best to cut off the top slimmer part first? I guess otherwise it's harder for the water to flow through it with a limited opening?

They are designed fir the top section to be cut to take the larger hose on the lower part
The internal diameter also gets larger on the bigger part of the barb to allow more flow
Make sure that your hose fits fairly snug first then a couple of jubilee clips to fasten
Matt

mdhardy01 said:
They are designed fir the top section to be cut to take the larger hose on the lower part
The internal diameter also gets larger on the bigger part of the barb to allow more flow
Make sure that your hose fits fairly snug first then a couple of jubilee clips to fasten
Matt

Thanks, going to try that!

I tested it and it worked very well, except the flow isn't strong enough after I put it on.

The new filter goes from a voilent torrent to .. well not enough to make most of the plants move a in the current. It just restricts the flow too much I think. So annoying, I want to use only one filter but putting the AquaMedic on it just isn't going to work, specially if I then also have to addon a external heater.

So now I'm back to it being too strong filter, and forced to use the 2nd smaller filter do the AquaMedic.. Poor fish must think they are in washing machine. Not sure what to do now, specially since everyone says how important water movement is. So annoying!

Have you still got the bio balls in?if so take them out it works just as well without the some say better and there is less flow reduction
Matt

mdhardy01 said:
Have you still got the bio balls in?if so take them out it works just as well without the some say better and there is less flow reduction
Matt

No I never used them in the first place. But I did give it another go, I cut more off the end bits which probably gave me another 2mm at each end. It made a huge difference, just hope it will not leak. Looks fine so far.

The problem now is that it's back to being quite strong, not too strong for fish. But the lily pipe causes a bit more of a ripple effect on the surface and I guess that leads to more CO2 degassing. I've had to go from 3 bubbles per sec to 4 bubbles per second. But I guess that doesn't really matter other than the CO2 not lasting as long.

Back