• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning external filter tubing

Martin cape

Hi guys, had my external running for about 4 weeks now. Is there a way of cleaning the inside of the tubing that's easy? I have stuff growing in there already. Didn't realise it would need cleaned this quickly. It's a ball ache disconnecting everything.
yjyje3e7.jpg

I really must get one of these as currently using a home made one that works but is not great.
Until I set up a second external filter for flow and co2 only I used to swap the tubing over with a clean lot then clean the dirty tubing ready to be swapped again but only every 2-3 months, the brush will dislodge a lot of gunk but needs a couple of pull through's then a flush with water, seemed easier in my case to do this with the tubes fully removed.
Also to ensure the fittings were secure I cut a couple of cm off the tube before fitting again.

Found a couple brushes that came with Emperor filter's I used to run.
I looped a two foot long piece of weed wacker line through the end of the brush and taped it with electrical tape.
Run the line through the tubing ,and then pull the brush through .
Not very attractive, but effective.

If you want something longer try attaching a bottle brush (or burette brush) to one of the flexible, plastic coated wires that net curtains get hung from. (My guess is they're pretty cheap.)

Back