• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chlorine, and bacteria.

Jaseon

I was watching this guy on youtube who did controlled tests on chlorine, and their effects on bacteria levels in the soil, and came to the conclusion that the amount of chlorine coming from the tap water did not result in any noticeable difference. Im guessing the bacteria in soil is not the type we have in our aquariums, but it did make me wonder what difference does chlorine actually make to the health of established bacteria in our tanks.

I read an article recently about rinsing media under tap water, and that it does not kill all the bacteria as is commonly believed. I tried to find out where that actually comes from ie if it is believed that chlorine from tap water kills nitrifying bacteria what tests have been done to show that to be true. Either way how would something like that actually be measured?, as surely that would have to be done as the soil tests i mentioned with results under laboratory conditions?

Is nitrifying bacteria really that fragile?, and how much of this comes from the companies that make a lot of money selling water conditioners?

In many cases the chlorine in tap water is not going to kill off all your bacteria, I will sometimes rinse my sponges under tap water. The issue is that water companies can increase chlorine levels a fair bit if there is an issue they need to fix, so you never know what amount there might be in the water.

Is nitrifying bacteria really that fragile?, and how much of this comes from the companies that make a lot of money selling water conditioners?

Chlorine is nasty stuff, not just to bacteria etc, but to fish and inverts, I wouldn't want a tank full of untreated tap water, more for the fish than anything else.

If you don't want to use something like prime (which is actually extremely cheap), you can just aerate the water for 24hrs to gas off the chlorine.

Hi all,
I read an article recently about rinsing media under tap water, and that it does not kill all the bacteria as is commonly believed.
It doesn't in the UK, mainly because we have low levels of chlorine dosing. We also have the <"belt and braces" of the plants"> if microbial nitrification is compromised.

Water changes are slightly different, there is <"much more chance of damage">.

I'm not a tap water user, but I would definitely use a water conditioner <"that also treats chloramine"> if I was.

cheers Darrel

The experiments done on aerating chlorinated tap water have frequently shown that it does not work for several days. I think we had some results posted on this forum a couple of years back - I would call it a bit of a myth - perhaps somebody can remember where that thread was?

There are some very affordable de-chlorinators on the market - the dry type that are used in ponds and treat 30,000 gallons. I had a great discussion with the manager of World of Water in Bicester about this. They work out at about 0.5% of the cost of the more generic brands, you just need to know where to look. I think we settled upon the Seachem one because it was easier for my mother and father to use, when I am away. I always get better results with rain water.

If you don't want to use something like prime (which is actually extremely cheap), you can just aerate the water for 24hrs to gas off the chlorine.
Hi @Nick potts

More water companies are now using chloramine to disinfect tap water instead of chlorine. Aerating tap water is ineffective against chloramine. So, tap water conditioners such as Seachem Prime is a good choice. If I remember rightly, chloramine is a compound of chlorine and ammonia. It is important that any tap water conditioner deals with both of these. For more information, take a look at:

JPC

Back