• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cherry shrimp nano tank

Akhmaat

Hello, I have set up a new nano tank, low tech, heavy planted, for cherry shrimp and snails only. I have added some botanical, like catappa and alder cones and plan to give them veggies once a week. Will the shrimps need another source off food, too, like store bought pellets? Thanks 🙏

I like to blanch kale leaves or peeled and thinly sliced broccoli stem. My thinking is those are vegetables we have in our house all the time anyway, they have a fair amount of calcium, and the shrimp seem to love them. I try to be mindful of not feeding too much and removing any leftovers promptly because I don't want them spoiling in the tank. If I portion it well there isn't much left anyway.

When I first got shrimp I added Bacter AE, but that was an unnecessary and regretful purchase.

Personally i've noticed a good difference between shrimp tanks where i don't supplement feeding, compared to those that receive a varied diet (which makes sense), especially with calcium supplements for shell development and even protein

Thank you! Should I supplement calcium too? Or the on in the kale, broccoli and other vegetables will be enough?

Thank you! Should I supplement calcium too? Or the on in the kale, broccoli and other vegetables will be enough?
IF your dGH is low - say around 3-4 dGH, supplementing with Calcium would be a very good idea. Some algae wafters are quite high in Calcium... mineral sticks are high in calcium and magnesium (Shrimps need both)... Kale in particular is high in calcium. On the other hand, if you waters Calcium content is already high (high dGH) you shouldn't pile on with too much calcium from food sources as it will make molting more difficult for the shrimps due to the increased hardness and thickness of the exoskeleton.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
IF your dGH is low - say around 3-4 dGH, supplementing with Calcium would be a very good idea. Some algae wafters are quite high in Calcium... mineral sticks are high in calcium and magnesium (Shrimps need both)... Kale in particular is high in calcium. On the other hand, if you waters Calcium content is already high (high dGH) you shouldn't pile on with calcium from food sources as it will make molting more difficult for the shrimps due to the increased hardness and thickness of the exoskeleton.

Cheers,
Michael
Where did you read this about the increased hardness of the exoskeleton and difficulty moulting?

First I've heard of it, not disputing, but would be keen to learn more

Where did you read this about the increased hardness of the exoskeleton and difficulty moulting?

First I've heard of it, not disputing, but would be keen to learn more

Sure thing.... A couple of references off the top of my head:

More heavy duty:

Cheers,
Michael

Sure thing.... A couple of references off the top of my head:

More heavy duty:

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks!

I make my own food up from blending broccoli, carrots. blood worm, and mussels.

Spread it out on some clingfilm fold it over so it does not leak out then freeze it. Once frozen remove the clingfilm, and break it up into a container, and back into the freezer. A small batch can last for months.

I also feed them dandelion leaves from the garden. Boil them for five minutes then pop them in. My shrimp love them. They receive calcium from the food you give them, but i also add crushed eggshell to my tanks.

Another thing i feed my shrimp often is spirulina. One of the best foods you can give them.

Spirulina is a unicellular algae with good nutritional value. Its efficiency has been shown in Artemia salina and penaeid shrimp diets. To investigate the origin of this good nutritional value in shrimp, experiments were carried out on Penaeus japonicus juveniles. Pelleted diets containing various proportions of Spirulina from 0 to 8% were fed to shrimp. Good growth, survival and pigmentation were obtained with the diet containing 8% Spirulina. When replacing Spirulina completely by another single-cell ingredient source, lactic yeast, shrimp pigmentation was markedly reduced. Otherwise, growth performances were nearly similar. To identify the active fraction of Spirulina powder, an extraction was performed to separate two fractions, the lipidic and the lipid-free. Preliminary growth results of shrimp fed diets containing these extracted fractions showed that the active fraction of Spirulina was more likely found within the lipid-free fraction, rather than the lipidic fraction. Even though Spirulina can contribute positively to formulation of shrimp diets, it is too expensive (within the French economic context) to be incorporated at high percentage. But a substitution of lactic yeast for Spirulina is feasible as far as shrimp growth and survival are concerned. (PDF) Use of Spirulina in shrimp (Penaeus japonicus) diet

I buy it in bags. Mix up some with water in a small dish to a paste then use cocktail skewers or something similar, and roll the skewer into the paste. Let it dry fully before offering to the shrimp.

71K3N7vpJ0L.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back