• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ceratopteris- brown dots or funge?

Hey, the photos won't load on my phone for some reason but I have pictures of my plants when they had potassium deficiency, if it looks similar to this with the dots you say, then it will be a potassium deficiency
6c646fbcbd58f2ce6a50e5ed4706d556.jpg
4cc8e25fb354452f6b5120edd7c544f7.png

Sorry I can't be more help.

It's potassium deficient. See the necrotic borders of the holes?

Just add K2PO4 or KNO3 or equivalent. K2SO4 would also be fine.

try to open the link on your pc, there is no potassium deficiency on that plant, that plant is rotting or it is attacked by some desease , hard to tell

I had this problem with a plant, it happened when I upped my lighting from t8 to t5 bulbs, are you using any fertiliser or co2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry I can't be much help, have you had that plant long or is it new? Maybe you could dose your tank then do a 1/3 of a dose 4 days later then try see how that goes and if that doesn't work try a liquid carbon, I know upped my dose and bought co2 which sorted the problem I just hope it's the same for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
The plant is fine, what you can see is the start of "leaf senescence". The plant has with-drawn one, or more, mobile elements from the leaf to use in a new leaf. Ceratopteris shows a very flexible response to nutrient levels, and you can grow it as a floater in water with just traces of nutrients, in that case it is a plant with only two or three very small fronds. Take the same plant and put it in nutrient rich water and it will grow exponentially.

Because plants have the greatest requirement for carbon (C), nitrogen (N), potassium (K) and phosphorus (P), they are the most likely deficiencies.
no, this is lowtech tank, no co2 injection , no carbo, but I do use micro fertilizer
Micro-nutrients are exactly that, they are essential for plant growth but in small amounts. Macro-nutrients are building blocks that the plant need to create the proteins in chlorophyll etc.

You could try adding a macro-fertiliser (containing NPK) or you could add a complete nutrient solution from one of <"our sponsors"> (other sponsors are available).

I use the <"Duckweed Index" (towards end of page 1.)> as a dosing method, but you can use 1/10 EI or 1/4 EI dosing etc. depending on how quickly you want your plants to grow.

cheers Darrel

hi, thanks for the reply. I suspected a desease because my anubias plant was rotting inside the rizome. I cut the rizome in section with a sharp blade , the inside was clealy affected by something similar brown... now the question is the same ...that is also a sign of nutrient deficiency or ...
How do you explain the fact that every time I put a new plant in my tank ( which was bright green early) it turns brown in short time in my tank?
( although the condition where the plant came from was much worse then mine )

Hi all,
hi, thanks for the reply. I suspected a desease because my anubias plant was rotting inside the rizome. I cut the rizome in section with a sharp blade , the inside was clealy affected by something similar brown... now the question is the same ...that is also a sign of nutrient deficiency
There have been quite a lot about <"Anubias rhizome rot">, but I'm not sure there <"has been any resolution">.
How do you explain the fact that every time I put a new plant in my tank ( which was bright green early) it turns brown in short time in my tank? ( although the condition where the plant came from was much worse then mine )
Probably a nutrient deficiency.

cheers Darrel

Back