• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone identify this please

Hi all,
the 'chewing gum' was more like slime or decomposed food matter and I have even had to hoover the gravel which was covered in this substance which obviously then clouded the tank...I have replaced 20 of the 54 litres of the water so will see how things go. As far as the wood goes Darrel none of the pieces were new and had been used without any problems before in my larger tank...
Bit of an unknown then, but probably nothing to worry about. I'd carry on with the water changes try and keep the oxygen as high as possible for a while (just in case there is some pollutant source still present which will raise the BOD) and hopefully it will disappear as mysteriously as it appeared.

cheers Darrel

but possibly decomposing material from the wood, particularly if it had a lot of sap left in it when it was cut and dried.

Hi Darrell,

I did clean the substrate quite thoroughly and although I didn't as was suggested do more water changes the white substance albeit only slight smatterings are still appearing on the glass (which I find quite confusing as to how it gets there) and on the plants..Do you still think then that it could be the wood that some of my plants are attached to leeching the substance ? The tank is heated obviously but it is outside in a cold garage...I assume the temperature couldn't be the reason for this ? and it wouldn't be from the Assassin snails ?

Well when I had the original problem I was using the Juwel Bio Mini filter that came with the tank but I am now using an AllPondsSolution 450 LPH filter with spray bar

Trev
I think it could be a combination of a few things.....snails,uneaten food.....slow filtration.
Cut back on the feeding...try upping your filtration and get some more flow around the substrate.
Clean the filter inards not just the sponges.
Cheers
hoggie

OK Hoggie thanks for the advice....I have still got the Juwel Mini Filter so will add this as well...I do clean the inards of the filters weekly but I am also going to change the substrate from gravel to a part (something like TetraPlant Complete) and Playsand for the well being of my Corys

Back