• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blyxa Japonica

ArcticLagoon

Hello Fellow Aquascapers and Experts,
I hope your summer was great!

I had a Blyxa Japonica question. I am a big fan of this plant as it is one of the easiest to grow given the right conditions. However I am observing that once the plant matures, it’s stems are no longer able to keep the plant planted to the soil. The stems seem to easily break and the plant is seen floating. How do you manage this plant when it matures? I haven’t trimmed thinking the leaves will lose its shape and look awkward.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

Welcome @ArcticLagoon

The easiest way to trim Blyxa Japonica is to cut the stem at the bottom of the plant (root end) then peel off any unsightly lower leaves, once done this can then be re planted.
Yes, once it gains a decent mass it will tend to lift out of the substrate, the only way I managed to control this was by uprooting, trimming and re planting.

Post in thread 'A Tale of Two Roma's' A Tale of Two Roma's

Welcome @ArcticLagoon

The easiest way to trim Blyxa Japonica is to cut the stem at the bottom of the plant (root end) then peel off any unsightly lower leaves, once done this can then be re planted.
Yes, once it gains a decent mass it will tend to lift out of the substrate, the only way I managed to control this was by uprooting, trimming and re planting.

Post in thread 'A Tale of Two Roma's' A Tale of Two Roma's
this is interesting, i had some lush blyxa but did not experience it uplifting, this was in a nano tank though; did this happen to you in a bigger tank/bigger blyxa?

did this happen to you in a bigger tank/bigger blyxa?
Yes it was a 1200mm tank, not super high light, Blyxa grew tall.

This clump had a footprint around 400mm×300mm.
20230303_132002.jpg

Here you can see it detaching from the substrate. Note this was in gravel, maybe it grows stronger, more anchoring roots in aquasoil?

20220819_164235.jpg

20220819_163814.jpg

My experience with this adorable plant is that it just loves soft soil.
Planting it in that type of soil you won't have a problem with lifting.....downside is removing it from soft soil can cause a mess.

Saying that...I think this is the normal way for Blxya to produce plantlets if space is limited.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have literally left the plant alone so far as I really like the outgrown jungle look this plant matured into. Here’s a photo of what the plant looks like this week- right rear bush!
Around half of the plant mass floated up, one stem after another but the rest of the plant quickly filled the spaces left behind.

Will try trimming and replanting…

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpeg
    IMG_3165.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 125
Thanks for the suggestions. I have literally left the plant alone so far as I really like the outgrown jungle look this plant matured into. Here’s a photo of what the plant looks like this week- right rear bush!
Around half of the plant mass floated up, one stem after another but the rest of the plant quickly filled the spaces left behind.

Will try trimming and replanting…
lush growth!

lush growth!
Thanks. Tank is in the midst of rescaping, mostly on the left side where there isn’t much plants right now. I had bushes of rotalas in the left rear but it required frequent trimming so hoping to put in some slower growing plants.

Here's a pic of my Blyxa when it was in its prime in my cube tank (2022). Got all the nutrients, light and co2 it wanted. I knew it would change colour, but not to this extreme.

And another I noted, is that whilst it was in this tank with these conditions, it never grew large like it does in my other tank. It literally just stayed this size and just expanded smaller nodes around it. The expansion was much slower, which I appreciated.

Blyxa.jpg

Here's a pic of my Blyxa when it was in its prime in my cube tank (2022). Got all the nutrients, light and co2 it wanted. I knew it would change colour, but not to this extreme.

And another I noted, is that whilst it was in this tank with these conditions, it never grew large like it does in my other tank. It literally just stayed this size and just expanded smaller nodes around it. The expansion was much slower, which I appreciated.

View attachment 212851

Very cool, I didn't know it could change colour like this!

I'm doing a re-scape soon and Blyxa Japonica is one of the plants on my list that I want to try - fingers crossed I can get it to look like this! :D
All of the best. At the time, the tank was still fairly new, so I was lean dosing using APT Zero. Had 2 bags of Amazonia in. Lights was running at max intensity (but I planted heavily to begin with) and I had zero algae. Those were the days, lol

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Back