• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blue green algae????

mugsy

Hi folks i take it this is that blue/green algae/bacteria stuff??? Just noticed it starting to grow on surface of sand.
Any idea what causes this and how to get rid of it???
Thanks
Sean

Attachments

• 20231016_175113.jpg
    20231016_175113.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 139
It does appear to be.

I would Syphon off what you can, check your Nitrates aren't to low and that your flow is good.

I agree with most of the remedial actions mentioned in James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide for most things really, so that's always a good start and I've linked a couple of threads on the subject here too:

Thread 'Do I have BGA?' Do I have BGA?

Thread 'Homing In On Cyanobacteria (aka 'BGA')' Homing In On Cyanobacteria (aka 'BGA')

And yes agree with @_Maq_ regarding Hydrogen peroxide, though do be careful not to overdo it. Ideally when using it turn off filter and run a powerhead for a little while after treatment but before turning the filter back on so that it reacts in the tank and not your filter.

It more often than not starts off at substrate , try and remove vacuum as soon as it appears and try a small power head at substrate level I had it in a kitchen aquarium were ambient light l feel played a part(daylight from dusk to dawn) so you could put some tape across the glass at substrate level, Keep up Water changes and maintenance

My tank is in a conservatory so it does get some light from windows and if its sunny it gets a bit of direct sunlight for around 2 hours in the morning so you could be right.

I have a tank in my garden that gets 3+hrs of direct sunlight and no BGA, tank in my house that gets no direct sunlight does however, albeit receding now .

Part of the reason I set up the garden tank was because of all the posts [Edit: not here I should add] of green tanks and algea where direct sunlight was attributed as the cause. I never had that issue with my mini ponds or tubs so wondered if it's was different for a glass aquarium. Seemingly not and glass has only been cleaned once since setting it up months ago.

It's not good science or anything though I think it's enough to say light in isolation does not cause algea or green water and other factors are at play.

Attachments

• 20231015_131721.jpg
    20231015_131721.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Thats interesting Mat.H. that wee tank looks great. Do those plants survive in cold water out side?

@mugsy Difficult to say really, the heater was a later addition after I saw a chunk out of one of my black neon females and thought what better for a sick fish than sunlight! - incidentally the wound is healed though this female seems to get egg bound every few months and bloats massively so not comfortable putting her back in main tank yet.

Plants were doing fine before, however the weather hadn't really turned at that point (UK).

If I manage to carry it on maybe I'll do a little post about it!

Last edited:
Here's the black neon before, haven't got an after but can confirm the 'wound' is completely healed now though it still gets excessively egg bound every so often though it eats and poops fine so whilst having considered other issues I'm not overly worried!

The pictures don't do the size of the wound justice but clearly didn't stop it gobbling one of my shrimp! 😬

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231018_184023_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018_184023_Gallery.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20231018_183924_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231018_183924_Gallery.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
@_Maq_ I wouldn't disagree normally but I gave nature / sunshine a chance this time, as mentioned the wound is completely healed now, within a week or two of it going outside in fact, and it's doing fine and is active and feeding well.

Having bred various species' I'm not unaccustomed to euthanasia, especially if I'm concerned about the wider pool of livestock, as I've seen the devastating effect some issues can have!

I'll try and get a picture of it now when I can. I'm very much surprised it survived as I fully expected it would be dead in a couple of days from the wound, let alone suddenly throwing it in an experimental tank with quite an absurd amount of miracle grow in the substrate, but it doesn't even have a mark to show there was an issue now.

Edit: just to say the pictures of the gaping hole were from the 4 Sep and fish is fine as of today, additionally I deworm all of my new arrivals as well as each tank - though latter only once a year and not as thoroughly due to other inhabitants.

Last edited:
Get where your coming from maq but the freezer! Not the most humane way of dispatching our fishy friends.
There is that too, though many don't agree with clove oil either but it's always been my preference as it essentially puts them to sleep, indeed it can be used purely as an anaesthetic if dosed correctly.

I'd typically do it in a mini tank with some plants etc to give it a comfortable environment and slowly increase dose - and make sure it's actually gone and not just asleep before it gets buried in one of my pot plants.

Never could do the whack it in a bag thing! 🤷

Never could do the whack it in a bag thing! 🤷
Lol, I occasionally fish for trout in my spare time so knocking my tea with a priest is something that sometimes needs to be done.
For smaller fish I think a gradual increase of clove oil followed by pithing is my go to method when needs must.

Obviously not a nice subject.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Blue green algae anyone.

I gave nature / sunshine a chance this time
Well, you've been there, while I saw just a pic with a wound looking horribly.
You know, in another forum, it was quite common to post a pic of a fish past of any help and people were unable to shorten their sufferings out of sentimentality.
but the freezer! Not the most humane way of dispatching our fishy friends.
Am I wrong? I live under an impression that it is a painless way, indeed.

Am I wrong? I live under an impression that it is a painless way, indeed.
I think rapid cooling "might" have some merits in fish euthanasia but slowly freezing in a household freezer wouldn't be my idea of a rapid dispatch.

Obviously, I'm not a fish, so can't say for sure. But the general consensus of veterinary practice is that slowly freezing isn't humane.

Hi all,
I think rapid cooling "might" have some merits in fish euthanasia
Years ago I had a Black-Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi – Black Neon Tetra — Seriously Fish) with a large internal tumour, she was still just about able to swim and eat, but it had distorted her entire body. Eventually I knew I had to euthanize her, but she was too small to whack accurately on the head, and I didn't have any clove oil.

It was really cold outside, and I'd just taken the ice of the water bucket <"the cat drinks from">. I took the fish outside (in a small container of tank water), said goodbye, tipped her into a net and quickly submerged the net in the cold water. Death appeared to be almost instantaneous.

I still don't feel great about it (I never <"do when a fish dies">), but I think it was the best option.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Lol, I occasionally fish for trout in my spare time so knocking my tea with a priest is something that sometimes needs to be done.
For smaller fish I think a gradual increase of clove oil followed by pithing is my go to method when needs must.

Obviously not a nice subject.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... Blue green algae anyone.
🤣

Back