• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Black tips on new Java Fern

Bradders

Hello All,

I just noticed that one of my new Java fern plants on wood is experiencing this. It has only been in for seven days. Do you have any ideas about what that is and how to address it?

IMG_0988.jpeg

That bit is dead mate

I’ve always snipped it back but not into the good stuff. Normally new leaves replace the old, and those older leaves wither and pruned.

Thanks for the advice. I'll snip and see where it takes me.

I was only confused, as the other plants (I bought three of the same) are not displaying the same issue,

I was only confused, as the other plants (I bought three of the same) are not displaying the same issue,
Plants, unlike humans have no concept of conforming to the rules. The plants are transitioning, at different rates, eventually all those leaves will wither, and sadly die..

Fear not, you can snip the leaf just above the rhizome and a new submersed leaf will develop.

Plants, unlike humans have no concept of conforming to the rules. The plants are transitioning, at different rates, eventually all those leaves will wither, and sadly die..

Fear not, you can snip the leaf just above the rhizome and a new submersed leaf will develop.
Thanks, John and everyone - I'll do that tomorrow morning. Really appreciate the advice. What seems normal to you, is new to me!

So, just to be clear, do I just take the whole leaf off, or just snip the dried out bits?

Hi all,
So, just to be clear, do I just take the whole leaf off, or just snip the dried out bits?
I’ve always snipped it back but not into the good stuff.
What @castle says just snip off the brown bits for now. If it was drying damage? The rest of the leaf should stay green and carry on photosynthesising. If the whole leaf gets browner? Snip it off.

cheers Darrel

Thanks @dw1305 and @castle - sorry, just was not clear on that.

Also, is it normal that plants need to settle in for a while? i.e. turn a little brown at the edges etc?

Hi all,
Also, is it normal that plants need to settle in for a while?
It depends a little bit on the plant. Something like a floating plant shouldn't really, it hasn't changed in growing conditions.

It is different for a plant that <"has been grown emersed"> and then submerged, it is likely to shed its leaves etc. @G H Nelson has written a tutorial for floating stem plants in the establishment phase <"Using stem plants as a filtering aid at Start Up!"> of a tank, but it also helps the plants to acclimatise to their new conditions.

cheers Darrel

Also, Java fern is not an easy plant. It grows for me in some tanks, and withers to black in others.

Also, Java fern is not an easy plant. It grows for me in some tanks, and withers to black in others.
Yeah - quite disappointing for a newbie like me to go shops and all they say are these plants are easy!

It took me a long time to realise a few things;

• growing plants is easy, providing they like your tap water/ lights, etc
  • aquascpaes you see on here takes years of dedication, and or research, and sometimes 💰💰
  • you’ll need to spend a small fortune to find plants that work for you 💰💰
  • what works for you won’t work for me etc

Yes indeed @castle - I'll get over it. Onwards and upwards!!

Hi all,
growing plants is easy, providing they like your tap water/ lights, etc
That one really, <"grow the plants that want to grow">, rather than struggling with the "plants you want to grow".
Also, Java fern is not an easy plant. It grows for me in some tanks,
The type form <"mainly survives with me">, other than that I think the only one I have left is "Narrow" (from @Wookii ?). I think with <"harder water"> and <"some more nutrients"> they would do a lot better.
what works for you won’t work for me etc
Bolbitis heudelotii is the plant that "grows itself" for me, it obviously likes lean dosing and a <"certain degree of neglect">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back