• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BBC News

PARAGUAY

Why did the BBC consider headline news for a few days was whether Princess Kate had a mother's day photo photoshpped or enhanced? Did it matter that much with everything in the world going on? They can get things right though the report on the chap who set up a food bank,as he saw a need At first he helped about 8 to a dozen people now 200 and struggling to keep it going, a indivual heartwarming news item but then l felt deflated by a BBC ad for Radio 2 fronted by Radio2 disc jockeys on £500,000 a year. This what you pay your licence fee for Chris Packham!

Yeah. I'm with you.
Some times I think they do this kinda thing just to annoy me.
Pretty sure there's a saying 'no such thing as bad press'. And here we are doing some free advertising for the above over the world wide web. Both good and annoying.
I find it helpful to let stuff just wash over me some days.
I am about to invest in some noise cancelling headphones for the train everyday.
Shut the world out.
Si

I guess it’s down to the whim of the people running the bbc
They don’t live in the same world as your average working man/woman
I for one couldn’t care less about whether anyone has photoshopped an image which they then choose to show on mothers day

It’s all gone Pete tong
My mother used to listen to radio4 (for many years) all day, but quite some time ago it became “modernised”, a lot of the content was no longer aimed at the older generation, it seems like a younger audience was required

I still do.

Here in the US we don't have much choices when it comes to spoken radio unless you want to fill your head with garbage masquerading as news... I think the closest we have to Radio 4 in the US is probably NPR (National Public Radio) which I listen to when I get the chance - NPR corporate with the BBC btw. Oh, speaking of BBC Radio 4, I love the In our Time shows by Melvyn Bragg - have listen to a lot of his shows throughout the years - specifically on science, philosophy and history.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi all,
I love BBC Radio 4's In our Time shows by Melvyn Bragg - have listen to a lot of his shows throughout the years - specifically on science, philosophy and history
I've listened to loads of <"In our Time"> programmes where I thought I had no interest in the subject, but I actually found them fascinating. Recently I listened to "Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle", which I thought it might be about deciding which aquarium plant to plant where, but it turns out it is all to do with Quantum Mechanics and not being able to know both the position of and momentum of a fundamental particle.

This morning I listened to the end of <"The Life Scientific"> (Sir Charles Godfray on parasitic wasps and the race to feed nine billion people") when I should have been (more actively) working and I always like to listen to <"More or Less">, a programme on <"lies, damn lies and statistics">.

cheers Darrel

I've listened to loads of <"In our Time"> programmes where I thought I had no interest in the subject, but I actually found them fascinating. Recently I listened to "Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle", which I thought it might be about deciding which aquarium plant to plant where,
That might be related to it as well. In computer science we have this phenomenon called a Heisen-bug ... a software anomaly that tends to change behavior the more we study it, try to reproduce it. Sometimes it just goes away ... and everyone is happy and worried at the same time :)

but it turns out it is all to do with Quantum Mechanics and not being able to know both the position of and momentum of a fundamental particle.
Yes. It's really an insight from his (Heisenberg's) matrix mechanics. Where the operators for position (A) and momentum (B) generally wont commute. I.e. A * B is not equal to B * A. So you can't know both with any arbitrary precision. The more you know about A the less you know about B or the more you know about B the less you know about A. The implication as it pertains to the physical world is pretty profound and baffling.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I have sometimes listened to Radio4 and some really good broadcasts what you won't find anywhere else . Will it survive in its format ,as BBC4, who knows

I have sometimes listened to Radio4 and some really good broadcasts what you won't find anywhere else . Will it survive in its format ,as BBC4, who knows
Can't speak for the UK, but good ol' radio is listened to by 90% of the population on a weekly basis (mostly music of course). Cable TV (news in particular) and broadcast television is mostly becoming irrelevant. What is now great viewership (i.e. ratings) is counted in a couple of millions on a good night... it used to be tens' of millions with a smaller population. Only show who garnered more than 10 million viewers in recent history was the last season of Yellowstone.... (about 11 million) and thats from a 340 million population.

Cheers,
Michael

Can't speak for the UK, but good ol' radio is listened to by 90% of the population on a weekly basis (mostly music of course). Cable TV (news in particular) and broadcast television is mostly becoming irrelevant. What is now great viewership (i.e. ratings) is counted in a couple of millions on a good night... it used to be tens' of millions with a smaller population. Only show who garnered more than 10 million viewers in recent history was the last season of Yellowstone.... (about 11 million) and thats from a 340 million population.

Cheers,
Michael
If you disregard passive "listening" in a car/shop etc. I doubt you will be left with a few %. I highly doubt a few % of the population even owns a dedicated radio receiver at home. There's no need for any type of broadcasting, we are in an age where we can individually decide what to actively consume. And for that same reason UK TV licence does not work anymore. It needs to be changed to pay for what you viewed model, which will eliminate garbage no-one watches and improve what's popular in the long run.

The elderly probably won’t have access to modern technology, and are more likely to rely on “a wireless” or radio

Hi all,
The elderly
That is me........
Will it survive in its format
I'm guessing not, I listened to Jeremy Hunt (I had to be really careful with the spelling) tell Amol Rajan that he was an agent of the deep state and intrinsically biased because he works for the BBC <"Jeremy Hunt slams Amol Rajan comments as ‘not worthy of the BBC’">, during Hunt's <"toys out of the pram"> interview on the Radio 4 "Today" programme after the Budget.

All Rajan had done was ask some "yes or no" questions, that Hunt refused to answer.

The MP where I work is Jacob Rees-Mogg and where I live its Michelle Donelan <"Local News - Wiltshire Times">...............

cheers Darrel

The elderly probably won’t have access to modern technology, and are more likely to rely on “a wireless” or radio
I agree. This is a spot on comment highlighting the fact that broadcasting has an aging audience. And like everything with an aging audience it will eventually pass. On its own.

Back