• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Awesome algae! What is this?

MrClockOff

Hi all

Recently I’ve noticed strange spiky hedgehogs alike algae growing on my bogwood. It definitely loves the light but not sure if the colouration is green because of dust algae over it? Looks awesome and I wonder what is that and how to keep it alive? See the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_7195.jpeg
    IMG_7195.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7196.jpeg
    IMG_7196.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 138
Hi all,
Looks awesome and I wonder what is that and how to keep it alive?
It does look awesome, but I have absolutely no idea what it is.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything quite like that. The chantransia form of Montagnia macrospora (a red algae) possibly look closest <"https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/edn3.139">.
Mont_macrosporum.jpg

but not sure if the colouration is green because of dust algae over it?
I like the back-ground <"green patina"> as well.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Could it be some form of freshwater sponge, doesn't look like algae to me. to rounded tips

Hi all,
It’s getting better
It is just gorgeous.
Could it be some form of freshwater sponge,
I wondered about that, but I couldn't find anything suitable. I've seen <"Spongilla lacustris - Wikipedia"> which is the right colour, but not the right shape.
doesn't look like algae to me. to rounded tips
It appears to show dichotomous branching, so possibly a Liverwort? or a Lichen, pretty sure I've never seen an aquatic one of either that looks anything like that.
I don't think so, but it has to be a possibility <"Nitella – microscopesandmonsters">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I wonder if this might be a very small leafy/scaly Liverwort. I have seen some develop in terrariums with such a fine texture they looked more like Green Algae.

It certainly is an attractive form of algae!

Back