• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Astrobiology - Ancient Mars History - A Temporal Biotope

[UWSL]hydrophyte[/UWSL], you are doing something unbelievable here!​

Being a teenager I was impressed by Ray Bradbury's novel "The Martian Chronicles''. I saw myself as a Mars researching scientist, I tried to imagine the Martian nature penetrating ours and turned my attention and energy to the mysterious world under our feet. I took some part time jobs to collect money and buy a magnifying glass and some big 3 litre glass jars. Then I did many exploration trips to a forest and fields nearby to collect specimens of many species of mosses and lichens. I kept that collection in glass jars for a couple of years, watched mosses grow through the magnifying glass, drew sketches and made notes in my diary. I imagined myself a Mars explorer, LOL...
Later I moved to another region, my diaries and sketches were lost , and now I have only warm memories of those beautiful times of miracles. Thank you for this bitter-sweet feeling of nostalgia.
When I came across your thread here I was unpleasantly surprised with the improper use of the term "biotope" in regard to the bacteria inhabited terrarium. Now after a full dive into it I want to start a similar project myself.

You are doing a fantastic research in this mesmerizing bacteria world. Your ideas and DIY equipment are something beyond even my imagination!

Btw, I missed the point of atmosphere in the bacteria biotope: is it the same as in your environment or do you "cook" it to be closer to the Martian?

I formatted a new poster for the Mars terrarium project mainly with pics I had handy already and got it mounted too.

10-IV-24-NOCTIS-MONS-II.jpg

10-IV-24-NOCTIS-MONS-III.jpg

10-IV-24-NOCTIS-MONS-I.jpg

I'm expanding the astrobiology with a new idea, kites, among a few other additional concepts. I'll explain more later when I have more components built, but here is the first kite, a 34" X 45" Rokakku. This traditional Japanese kite design is easy to build and one of the best for lifting payloads.

i-V-24-Kite-Astrobiology-I.jpg

i-V-24-Kite-Astrobiology-III.jpg

i-V-24-Kite-Astrobiology-VII.jpg

i-V-24-Kite-Astrobiology-IV.jpg

i-V-24-Kite-Astrobiology-V.jpg

I also got my Urban Ninja out. This thing is tons of fun and I could fly it for hours.

i-V-24-Kite-Astrobiology-VIII.jpg

i-V-24-Kite-Astrobiology-VI.jpg

I'm expanding the astrobiology with a new idea, kites, among a few other additional concepts. I'll explain more later when I have more components built, but here is the first kite, a 34" X 45" Rokakku. This traditional Japanese kite design is easy to build and one of the best for lifting payloads.

Your work is profoundly fascinating. And now it turns out you fly kites too! I had so much flying kites as a kid!

Cheers,
Michael

Your work is profoundly fascinating. And now it turns out you fly kites too! I had so much flying kites as a kid!

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks for stopping by! I'll round up a few more things and explain the connection with these ideas.

Kitebuilding and kite flying are really rich areas to explore and a nice way to get outside. If you might want to pick it up again, that Urban Ninja kite is extreme fun to fly and available as a free plan.

Kite project: the urban ninja 2024

That just requires a few specific sewing supplies such as the correct thread for ripstop nylon. I cut a few corners building mine, but it went together fine and flies fantastic. I've spent many hours flying it.

Last edited:
Back