• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaping book for english speaking folks

plantbrain

Expert
I am hearing a good deal of whining worldwide about poor aquascaping books and availability.

I am not a MFA graduate...........I'm a techy nerdy Biologist who likes killing weeds in lakes and water ways. I was thinking of doing a large scale democratic text of the many styles of aquarium planted aquascaping.

I have some folks in the USA that are saying we suck..........and feeling well, inadequate about their scaping skill set.
I've long hounded aquarist about how to grow plants, but my ultimate goal was in hopes of producing folks that would scape and not be hindered by light/CO2 and ferts or fear..........

But..........many lack good scaping skill sets, and while I can help with my background on many levels, I'd prefer to have someone who has focused more on art, or who has a lot to say and is passionate about Art. I care about it....but I do not feel I care enough to do it full justice.

Are there folks interested in such a project?

Please note, anyone from anywhere is welcomed to input for this.
It is very open ended at this stage.

Sure mate, always interested into this subject.
The most important thing I can say is that anyone interested into aquascaping must have some background in visual arts like painting, architecture, photography etc. Learn at least about composition then aquascaping will much more easier to do. A good tutorial is this one.

Mike

Cheers Tom, i am glad you're open to invite and team with others who can add as much from the art / scaping side as you do from the bio / plant side.

For me Christel Kasselmann plant book is the best one from plant side. Too bad the latest edition is not translated yet.

Visual art side the new Amano book is a great one (complete works) as a presentation.

Anyway wish luck on the new challenge. This is exciting. ;) I will buy it once it is out ;)

i would like to contribute however i can.

i spoke to christel about translating her book to english, she said it was quite expensive..

so yeah an english book, with some good science, good practical tips, and lots of eye candy would be awesome!

wearsbunnyslippers said:
i would like to contribute however i can.

i spoke to christel about translating her book to english, she said it was quite expensive..

so yeah an english book, with some good science, good practical tips, and lots of eye candy would be awesome!
The only thing I'd change from the last phrase is "some" to "lots of" and we're onto a winner.

clonitza said:
The most important thing I can say is that anyone interested into aquascaping must have some background in visual arts like painting, architecture, photography etc. Mike

Can i disagree slightly ?? i think the most important thing is for the aquarist to be happy with the results, it doesnt have to be artistally perfect... beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc..
I have no artistic talent but still enjoy scaping, seeing other scapes and also like to think that the more i learn the better the results. Afterall the idea of all hobbies is to recruit as many 'newbies' as possible and share a common interest, skilled or ortherwise.

However, for the artistically inept among us, i do use literature and particularly pictoral inspiration very useful ,so any additional collaboration between guru's on this site would certainly be on my to buy list :D

A book which overview the common styles and gives great tips on planting, scaping how a tank could look more natural or inviting would be very useful.

This natural / well balanced line translate then to an art maybe with some additional thought and touches.

I do not think the goal is to teach people how to be an artist, but how to scape better. What need to be done that a layout look nicer, more balanced and natural to the eyes.

Which plants to use in groups, typical examples to transform from foreground to mid and back. New ideas.
Plants with decors etc. Bringing examples from nature too.

Maybe a good idea to brake down some prof scape and help the reader to understand how that scape built up.

Would be a good idea also to show a few tanks in the first 4-5 months. So people understand better the transformation and timing. Will help to imagine how some of the plants will look a few months later. This is also the fault of the beginners that they do not see the final picture when they start the scape.

I'm a writer and would gladly help with that side of things. Whether actually writing the copy or in a proofing and editing capacity.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I think a book can be a runner, we certainly have enough expertise and we have the photographers that could make all the difference.

I think that the hobby has moved on, but that the printed literature in the english speaking world just hasn't.

I can't comment on the aquascaping side, but from the ecology/low tech side I think Diana Walstad's book is a perfect example. It is a book I cherish, I understand why it looks like it does, and I think Diana did a magnificent job in writing it and getting it printed, but I know that, despite the information in the book, the look of it will put off some potential buyers.

Personally I'm contemplating buying German copies of several books (including Christel's)

A book combining aesthetic appeal with a solid information base could be seller over a long time period even if the initial sales aren't enormous.

cheers Darrel

I got Christel's book in German, and it is so good that I bought a German-English dictionary, the content is really good, and as it has pictures of emersed and imersed plants one can really see how they change. It help me identify a plant that I have. :)

The aquascaping side of things are great, but it is the ecology, maintenance, clear explanations of the plants biology and how flow, filtration and CO2 techniques that will make a book of yours worth buying.

If you can put on the book the same advice that you give on the forums, then that book of yours is a winner, to be hold with the same respect as Christel's, Diana's and many others.

Back