• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 600 “ happy I think..maybe not”

Quick update, Finally planted more annubias/ buce in foreground.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend..
F73EC829-793A-4FFC-BFB6-083B1A932D16.jpeg

HI Guys,
Does Hygrophila Siamensis 53 B, take well to being cut back to around 2/3 inches from base?!?
At the moment i only trim the top stems, growth is good with ample side shoots.

Thanks again,

Oscar.
Sorry must have missed this oscar, i trimmed mine down low and seems to recover fine then replanted the tops and there growing fast and tanks looking great by the way

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

A4F2058B-6C7C-4115-ACCD-29CB044BBB2F.jpeg
4838FC42-6F4B-467D-BF46-0E7723948B93.jpeg
49E348B9-6526-475F-8C27-FE790F148E37.jpeg
Hi guys,
More photos attached, no real change apart from removing the 53b. I have added s/ reopens in its place to establish a nice carpet effect around elephant skin rock within background.

I hope everyone is staying safe, working from home sure gets those weekly water changes done :thumbup:

Oscar ..

Hi Oscar, what is your final stocking list for the tank? In my AS600 I have 12 ember tetras, 8 green neons, 8 otos and 2 honey gouramis. I’m pretty sure this is heavily overstocked, but the tank is so heavily planted I hardly get to see any of the fish half the time. I’m probably going to have to give a few fish back to the lfs...

Hi all,
What sort of water changes do you do with them, as I was reading only about 15% per week?
I've kept a few different Apistogramma spp. and I've always changed about 10% a day. I've never had any problems with this.

Because I'm away from <"some of the tanks for extended periods"> when I come back I just change a larger volume of water until they come back into my datum conductivity range.

cheers Darrel

Hi Oscar, what is your final stocking list for the tank? In my AS600 I have 12 ember tetras, 8 green neons, 8 otos and 2 honey gouramis. I’m pretty sure this is heavily overstocked, but the tank is so heavily planted I hardly get to see any of the fish half the time. I’m probably going to have to give a few fish back to the lfs...

I have ......6 green neon tetras/ 10 rosy tetras/ 1 ammano shrimp/ 2 ottos and one Male apisto macamester ...:)

Hi @oscar , those Apistos are lovely looking fish. What sort of water changes do you do with them, as I was reading only about 15% per week?
I do 50 percent weekly, is in tandem with what’s needed with using aquascaper all in one ferts.. I’m hoping to get a female apisto for my Male, as female jumped out a while ago..

Oscar

Ive been getting some green/blue algae on my substrate/sand foreground. Ive read this can at times be down to having to much flow. To combat this I have removed my hydro Korallia circulation 1600 pump, as seen some comments this can be the culprit/ I did add this around a week or so before the dreaded algae first developed.
Other reasons could be down to overfeeding/poor water changes/lighting to high.....ALL these I keep in check, no change over the past 4/5 months......

I’m hoping with the removal of the pump/ times will change. I did take out all algae I could find. Does seem to be appearing here or there again on substrate/sand...but will give it a week or so/up water changes even more/ dim lights perhaps a bit....and HOPE, removing pump had done the trick.

Any other advice etc..greatly appreciate as always :banghead:;)

Thanks CooKieS.....just ordered, I’ll let you know how it performs /reviews great ;)

Well the ultra life finally arrived last week. Dosed as per advised and it really works, at least a 75% vanished from soil surface....hopefully over the next few days it completely has disappeared.
As said above i took out extra pump, but added it again as when giving this product you have to increase circulation/ so the 1600 is more than capable of that.

I dont think it was the extra flow that made it appear in first instance, when you google/ it can be a multitude of things that can cause it/and as said i do keep up with maintenance etc.....

Okay signing off.... Ill update end of this week..AND a big thanks to CooKieS, for recommending it ;);)

Hi @oscar

It is good to get feedback about Ultralife BGSSR directly from someone who has put it to the test. And it appears to have been a great success for you. It was just a month since you first mentioned signs of BGA/Cyano. Did you happen to get any photos of the Cyano so we can see how bad it was? Or, can you describe it? Had it formed blue-green slimy sheets? Had you tried to physically remove it using a siphon, tongs or other tools?

TIA.

JPC

Well the ultra life finally arrived last week. Dosed as per advised and it really works, at least a 75% vanished from soil surface....hopefully over the next few days it completely has disappeared.
As said above i took out extra pump, but added it again as when giving this product you have to increase circulation/ so the 1600 is more than capable of that.

I dont think it was the extra flow that made it appear in first instance, when you google/ it can be a multitude of things that can cause it/and as said i do keep up with maintenance etc.....

Okay signing off.... Ill update end of this week..AND a big thanks to CooKieS, for recommending it ;);)

glad it worked for you too. :)

my dad’s 180liters tank was literally infested with cyano, after 2 weekS of treatment with ultra life, it’s all gone...and it never came back, that stuff is very effective. :cool:

Hi @CooKieS
my dad’s 180liters tank was literally infested with cyano, after 2 weekS of treatment with ultra life, it’s all gone...and it never came back, that stuff is very effective.

When your father was treating his tank with Ultralife BGSSR, were any of the plants and/or inhabitants affected by this treatment? What happened to the Cyano/BGA? Did it just wither away such that it could be physically removed?

TIA.

JPC

Hi @CooKieS

When your father was treating his tank with Ultralife BGSSR, were any of the plants and/or inhabitants affected by this treatment? What happened to the Cyano/BGA? Did it just wither away such that it could be physically removed?

TIA.

JPC

no dead fish, no dead snails, no dead plants.

Bga has gone black and then just disappeared, then he made an big WC like 70%.

Hi @oscar

It is good to get feedback about Ultralife BGSSR directly from someone who has put it to the test. And it appears to have been a great success for you. It was just a month since you first mentioned signs of BGA/Cyano. Did you happen to get any photos of the Cyano so we can see how bad it was? Or, can you describe it? Had it formed blue-green slimy sheets? Had you tried to physically remove it using a siphon, tongs or other tools?

TIA.

JPC
Unfortunately no photos were taken. I would describe it as in early stages, was creeping over tropica soil, slowly spreading. It was also in patches growing on my juniper wood/and elephant skin rock. I would siphon it off, but would reappear/as quickly as i removed. It would be light green/blue tinge to it, if left I’m sure would have been on mass/as you say sheet like.......My journey below on the dreaded BGA

I gave dose per instructions obviously per tank volume, the following day you could see minimal change/48hrs after dose given, you could then see a marked change...ON soil you could see had disappeared in places. As per recommendations i gave another dose at this time, following day.....ALL gone on soil and juniper wood...Then day later “today” all gone on rocks, hard to see any left whatsoever......I’ll leave tank for another 3/4 days.....as some people say can take several weeks to clear. Ill do a 50 percent water change in 3/4 days, and hopefully fingers crossed that’s it....
:banghead:;):thumbup:

Hi guys,
Need some advice on picture, some sort of algae perhaps?! Had it for some time on the moss, thought cutting back moss would help, but seems to attach itself.
Again any help much appreciated.

Oscar.

Attachments

• 6EAA7E1E-DC03-4970-855C-BCEF3E7E93DA.jpeg
    6EAA7E1E-DC03-4970-855C-BCEF3E7E93DA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
Hi Guys,
Just a little update, I removed the larger piece of elephant stone/ added a couple extra smaller pieces. Planted some more buce red, things seem to be coming along okay at moment. I added some netrile snails/ shrimp seems to be helping with whatever was on moss.
Apart from breaking lily pipe , the reason for the DIY fix..ordered another so hopefully will be here soonish.

c ya. Oscar.

Attachments

• 6384C2E5-E131-45B8-93EF-D937976536C0.jpeg
    6384C2E5-E131-45B8-93EF-D937976536C0.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 172
  • 24CAEDA6-C770-4270-89C6-8F6999A4FDEB.jpeg
    24CAEDA6-C770-4270-89C6-8F6999A4FDEB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Back