• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Apistogramas died

nijat11

Hello everyone!
Recently I have added maxspect gyrfe xf350 and running it on 10% during the photoperiod.
After that, couple of apistogramma cacatuoides and apistograma hongsoi died.
Is it possible that those fishes cant handle high flow and died because of that?
Also have 4 apistograma ramizeri, so far they are doing fine.

Any ideas?
Underfeeding does not look like this. When starving, fish get lethargic and it takes many weeks before they demise.
Coincidence is more likely. Apistos are sensitive to many parasites. Incidentally, they've got sick at the moment you've introduced new hardware.
That said, it's true that most Apistos originate from habitats with still/gently moving water.

Can you give more information about the tank, size, how long it's been setup etc. A picture of the tank would also help.
It sounds like you've got several dwarf cichlids mixed together, which if you've got pairs, isn't ideal. They'll all be competing with each other for the same territory so unless the tank is large, they could be killing each other.
If it's under feeding the fish will have 'pinched' stomachs which should be fairly easy to spot.
I wouldn't think that it's the flow unless the fish are constantly swimming against it, without any decor to rest behind. I'd suspect something else is at fault but would need to know more about your setup.

Underfeeding does not look like this. When starving, fish get lethargic and it takes many weeks before they demise.
Coincidence is more likely. Apistos are sensitive to many parasites. Incidentally, they've got sick at the moment you've introduced new hardware.
That said, it's true that most Apistos originate from habitats with still/gently moving water.
Well just medicated tank with esha 2000 + esha exit.
Can you give more information about the tank, size, how long it's been setup etc. A picture of the tank would also help.
It sounds like you've got several dwarf cichlids mixed together, which if you've got pairs, isn't ideal. They'll all be competing with each other for the same territory so unless the tank is large, they could be killing each other.
If it's under feeding the fish will have 'pinched' stomachs which should be fairly easy to spot.
I wouldn't think that it's the flow unless the fish are constantly swimming against it, without any decor to rest behind. I'd suspect something else is at fault but would need to know more about your setup.
Okay. It is 800 liters + 250 liter sump. Running for 8 months.
There is no sign of fighting and did not observe it in tank as well. When I got the dead fish today, is has really thick belly.
Photo of tank is attached

Attachments

• IMG20230729212259.jpg
    IMG20230729212259.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 192
Very nice tank.
In that case I'd suspect either bloating, if they've eaten a lot of bloodworm or sometimes apparently daphnia can cause bloating. The hard shell of the bloodworm/daphnia can cause impaction.
If it's not that then as Maq says, apistos are very susceptible to parasites.

My guess would be internal parasites. You mention the fish has a ‘thick’ stomach?

I find captive bred apistogramma and rams from the far east often have calamanus worms. You should try esha ndx rather than 2000. This stuff really works with calamanus worms.

Do you have any photos of the sick/dead fish?

My guess would be internal parasites. You mention the fish has a ‘thick’ stomach?

I find captive bred apistogramma and rams from the far east often have calamanus worms. You should try esha ndx rather than 2000. This stuff really works with calamanus worms.

Do you have any photos of the sick/dead fish?
Well the thing is they did not showed any symptoms of sickesnn. Only the they before, I have seen that they are not active and keep close to the bottom and not reacting to me and the next day just dead. Unfortunatelly did not took any photos.

Very nice tank.
In that case I'd suspect either bloating, if they've eaten a lot of bloodworm or sometimes apparently daphnia can cause bloating. The hard shell of the bloodworm/daphnia can cause impaction.
If it's not that then as Maq says, apistos are very susceptible to parasites.
I dont feed blood worms. Very rarely some frozen artemite, mosquito. But daily flakes, granules, bites.

Well the thing is they did not showed any symptoms of sickesnn. Only the they before, I have seen that they are not active and keep close to the bottom and not reacting to me and the next day just dead. Unfortunatelly did not took any photos.
Calamanus are not an issue until it’s too late. Everything seems fine and then your fish stop eating and slowly waste away. Only in very heavy infestations do the fish protrude from the fishes vent.

Worming is one of the few medications I’d recommend people undertaking on their fish regardless of whether they see symptoms or not. You’d be amazed at the amount of worms that can leave fish that look ‘healthy’.

Cheers

Hello everyone!
Recently I have added maxspect gyrfe xf350 and running it on 10% during the photoperiod.
After that, couple of apistogramma cacatuoides and apistograma hongsoi died.
Is it possible that those fishes cant handle high flow and died because of that?
It's unlikely the extra flow. Have you recently changed anything else, maybe started CO2 injection and are chasing a high ph drop? Failing that a rapid die off of various fish suggests disease as others have mentioned.

Calamanus are not an issue until it’s too late. Everything seems fine and then your fish stop eating and slowly waste away. Only in very heavy infestations do the fish protrude from the fishes vent.

Worming is one of the few medications I’d recommend people undertaking on their fish regardless of whether they see symptoms or not. You’d be amazed at the amount of worms that can leave fish that look ‘healthy’.

Cheers
I will add some Esha NDX, thank you!

Hmm interesting, it kind of makes sense we do it with all our other pets too.. How often should it be done, what is recommended?

Okay. It is 800 liters + 250 liter sump. Running for 8 months.
There is no sign of fighting and did not observe it in tank as well. When I got the dead fish today, is has really thick belly.
Photo of tank is attached
I would think that a Maxspect gyre at 10% on an 800L tank would not be too much flow. Beautiful tank, btw.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
So for last months I lost all my apistogramas and only Bolivian Rams survived, today I lost bolivian ram as well.
All other fish/shrimps/snails looks good.
Any idea what can it be?

Attachments

• IMG20231120185156.jpg
    IMG20231120185156.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG20231120185152.jpg
    IMG20231120185152.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG20231120185149.jpg
    IMG20231120185149.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG20231120185147.jpg