• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone tried Pilularia globulifera (Pillwort)

niru

Hello

has anyone any experience on this? Its a wort; googling said its kind of fernlike (?!?), looks more like a grass....
How fats does it grow, and what are its needs etc?

Thanks
niru

BigTom said:
Cool looking plant.

A bit here from a French site about keeping it in aquaria (seems to need sub 20 degrees)

http://www.aquaportail.com/fiche-plante ... ifera.html

Hi

my French is as good as my Swahili, and google babelfish doesnt do much justice :D

Any idea how fast it grows? I dont want to end up mowing it every week, nor do I want to see 1 new shoot every 6 months! Its supposed to be verging close to endangered or so in wild.....

-niru

Google translate did a pretty good job for me I think. paraphrasing a bit....

Semi aquatic fern from Europe and Mediterranean Africa.
Primarily found in bogs and lake edges.
Best grown emersed but will adapt to aquarium conditions if the temperature does not exceed 20 degrees, although it can tolerate higher temperatures for a time.
Prefers slightly acidic conditions with a nutritious substrate, strong light and frequent water changes, and benefits from added CO2.
Spreads by stolons on which originate new seedlings with narrow leaves, eventually forming a very decorative ground cover.

So another plant that is only really semi-aquatic, but will probably do OK in high tech. Not sure how important those temperature limitations will be.

We have a similar species, P americana, but I've never once seen that in any aquariums, threatened etc on some list by the Wildlife managers.

I'd jump at the chance of getting it.

Hello

after the reco by Tom and Darrel, I got this grass.. Its has rooted nicely, and have send out some shoots already within 3 weeks.. Being a edge plant, I have kept it in foreground where the full force of the filter outlet pipe is hitting water unhindered. The blades are dancing continuously 24/7. Tank temp is around 25..

Will update as it goes...

cheers
niru

Back