• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any light geeks ?

rudirudi

Hi
I am considering changing from metal halides to T5's,my tank is 6ft so I would heed 80w's.I'm not sure you can get twin 80 watt starters,I have looked on a site that supplies ballasts for T5's,but having no knowledge of electrics I have no idea what gear I would need to make a starter.It would seem buying the components and putting them together would be cheaper than buying a ready made unit,anyone out there who could tell me if it would be practible , and what parts I would need,I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Rudi

why on earth do you need 80w's ? unless youre running marine or have some particular requirements oO
my 7 footer uses only a total of 30 watts

Hi all,
Rudi you just need the wired IP67 end caps and the electronic ballast, there aren't any other components.

You can buy ballasts ready wired up, have a search on Ebay for "T5 LIGHTING KIT MARINE TROPICAL 2 x 54w HOT5 CORAL FISH", these are 5'. You could buy the 80W "T5 LIGHTING KIT MARINE TROPICAL 2 x 80w HOT5 CORAL FISH", but they would be very bright.

cheers Darrel

I've got a T5 ballast that I'm not using and would sell/trade. It was used to drive two 54watt T5s which would probably just about do the job. PM me if you want to buy it or trade for it.

Personally, I don't think 80w is excessive, especially if you are dosing ferts and pressurised CO2.

Thanks for the replies,I have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank,I inject co2 and add flourish and some ferts (not EI),would 2 x 54w be sufficient for my tank,if so I could well be interested in your starter Skatersav.

Rudi

Back