• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any Idea What This Algae Is?

Hi all,
I use the Alkaline Buffer to stop my pH from dropping below 6, which I believe would cause my nitrifying bacteria go dormant. The acid buffer is to stop my pH from being pushed up too high. Please correct me if I am wrong on the low pH/nitrifying bacteria thing
Yes it isn't true. You don't need the buffers. have a look at <"The soil substrate .....">

cheers Darrel

Wow, interesting. Thank you - you have given me a lot to consider

Hi all,
@Katie656, this is my personal opinion, and not the official view of the forum, but a lot of the "expert advice" on other forums is incorrect, and often written by people who don't understand the science that that underlies our hobby. I think pH is <"particularly problematic">, because pH readings often need some interpretation, and you can't extrapolate from hard (where pH changes are small) to soft water (where pH is much more of a movable feast) .

I think there is also an issue with the sellers of certain products, who are, at best, being economical with the truth. I understand that you can have an economic model where you make a profit by imbuing a cheap product with all sorts of magical properties and <"selling it for a large mark-up">, or continually selling a replacement part (<"or product">) that doesn't need replacing (or has little intrinsic value), but I'm pretty sure they are counter-productive in the longer term.

<"Diana Walstad's"> book <"The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium"> is well worth reading, it explains why plants (and particularly those with emergent or floating leaves) are so important in maintaining a successful planted aquarium.

Additionally both she and <"Dr Tim Hovanec"> reviewed some of, <"their original comments"> based upon subsequent research and/or personal experience.

cheers Darrel

Nicely worded, Darrel. :)

I like to remember that when I started keeping fish there were old-timers who had been keeping and breeding all sorts of fish, and growing great plants, who had never heard of nitrosomonas, pH, nitrate etc, never mind testing for them.

Darrel, I have had a quick look at the book you have mentioned on Amazon. It’s very interesting, I have ordered a copy so that I can read it further.

Back