• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubis Rot: Prognosis?

IrvineHimself

It is confirmed! I have Anubis Rot.

To explain: Back when I was cycling the tank, when the guide I was following suggested I was ready for plants, I bought a collection of stem plants along with an Anubis Hastifolio as a centre-piece, and three small Annubis Nana. The nanas were quickly lost as the rhizomes turned to mush. Regularly checking the rhizome of the hastifolio, it seemed healthy. Although, to be honest, I should remind you that 'as a total noob', most of the time I have absolutely no idea of what I am looking for.

Less than a week later, I got several varieties of Bucephalandra and they still seem to be doing fine. As are my crypts, mosses, .... etc.

Following this, over the last month, I have been adding floaters, lobellia and other rooting plants, which, again, seem healthy. Unfortunately, last week, I bought three more Anubis (Coin, Lanceolata and a larger variety of Nana). It was then that I really noticed that, while the rhizome was very solid, some of the larger roots of the hastifolio had turned a mushy brown.

My first instinct was to cut off the bad bits. But, I restrained the impulse and instead looked up the diagnosis and possible treatments. Once I was sure it was Anubis rot, I removed the plant and tried to see if I could salvage anything. Sadly, the interior of the rhizome was completely rotten.

While this is sad, the problem is the three new Anubis I bought last week: The coin, lanceolata and large nana. What is there prognosis, and will I ever be able to keep Anubis in my tank again?

Hi @IrvineHimself
If your setup is fairly new then I found this quite common with Anubis to turn mushy and melt. It starts at rhizome and you won’t notice anything bad until leaves start floating on the surface.
This happened to me twice first with Anubis petite and second time with Anubis bonsai. As soon as I spotted that leaves started swaying in the water flow I pulled the plant out and cut off the mushy part of rhizome. Sometimes had to do this 3 times but then eventually it stops. I managed to save 50% of my Anubis both times. I’m not convinced it is Anubis rot, just adaptation struggle.

Cheers

Hi all,
was cycling the tank
Hi @IrvineHimself
If your setup is fairly new then I found this quite common with Anubis to turn mushy and melt,... sometimes had to do this 3 times but then eventually it stops. I managed to save 50% of my Anubis both times. I’m not convinced it is Anubis rot, just adaptation struggle.
They are funny things Anubias barteri <"Anubias barteri var. nana - Tropica Aquarium Plants">, they are either entirely trouble free, or they turn up their toes pretty rapidly.

We've found that they don't get on well with <"high levels of ammonia (NH3)">.

With Aroids, most ferns and mosses, I'd wait for the <"tank to mature"> before adding them.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you have set my at rest (slightly). I will keep an eye on the Anubis varieties I planted last week, and hope it is because they were planted while I was still cycling the tank.

I've just lost pretty much every single plant (bonsai) in a dry start up. All except 1. I've kind of come to the conclusion that they've been selectively bred for certain leaf morphology to the extent they no long have much in the way of resistance to bacterial infection and rot. But it's just a theory.

Back