• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another No Co2, No Ferts. But also No filter, No water Change

Hi all,
I've seen a lot worse. It is a robust system, and that is what is important, not the "lack of water changes" etc. <"No tech nano">.
can you have such an aquarium for more than 2-3 years?
Yes, but you would need to add fertiliser eventually. I never break my tanks down, so the lab. tanks have been set-up for ~10 years.

This tank had a very nutrient rich substrate (and base rich as well I'd guess from the snail shells and "top up") and that would have supplied nutrients for a long time before <"Liebig's limiting nutrient"> kicked in. It was also open-topped and initially topped up with tap water, so it is having some water changes.

<"I've seen similar set-ups"> and there is usually a proviso to "no water changes".

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've seen a lot worse. It is a robust system, and that is what is important, not the "lack of water changes" etc. <"No tech nano">.

Yes, but you would need to add fertiliser eventually. I never break my tanks down, so the lab. tanks have been set-up for ~10 years.

This tank had a very nutrient rich substrate (and base rich as well I'd guess from the snail shells and "top up") and that would have supplied nutrients for a long time before <"Liebig's limiting nutrient"> kicked in. It was also open-topped and initially topped up with tap water, so it is having some water changes.

<"I've seen similar set-ups"> and there is usually a proviso to "no water changes".

cheers Darrel

I've seen this a good while ago and love the way his co2 setup is. I think the version I seen was with Aquarium-co op ? Either way, I've done this tank method quite often, will it might not look so pretty to high tec setups, it's still one I am fond of and like having.

Back