• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another Flexi Mini Scape Set

We have one at work whith some lovely plant growth. Very little algae issues, only using daily ferts and liquid carbon. Will post a pic soon.

Pogostemon stellatus
Rotala wallichii (goes wonderfully pink/red with the strong light.
Only Shrimp and a couple of endler guppies.

look forward to seeing the pics! :)

017C2814-2167-4D93-9E95-63E25742D929.jpeg
017C2814-2167-4D93-9E95-63E25742D929.jpeg
It’s not my scape, but it is nice and simple with good plant growth. All it needs is a weekly water change (75%) and daily ferts/liquid carbon.

look forward to seeing the pics! :)

Some pics of my little emersed rock garden now, using Monte Carlo, hydrocotyle tripartita, lobelia cardinalis and reineckii mini red!

Regularly misting this and hopefully will see some good results :)

IMG_20180611_194203.jpg

IMG_20180611_194212.jpg

Does anyone have an idea of how many weeks I'm looking at for noticeable growth? :)

I think I'm starting to see some stronger shoots etc, but I've also noticed my ample misting has caused the water level to rise pretty much up to the substrate, should I avoid misting and let this evaporate down a bit? Still keeping the cling film on

You can push the soil away from 1 corner - add a plastic barrier - then easily syphon extra water

You may be misting too heavily - use a very fine mist

Jurijs mit JS did a dry start recently, check out his FB spray videos :D

You can push the soil away from 1 corner - add a plastic barrier - then easily syphon extra water

You may be misting too heavily - use a very fine mist

Jurijs mit JS did a dry start recently, check out his FB spray videos :D

Good point, would I be able to avoid misting for a few days or is this a recipe for trouble?

Update!

Growing in slowly but surely!

Point of interest, will I ever be able to maintain this without cling film? (I removed it for the pics)

IMG_20180715_010358.jpg

IMG_20180715_010511.jpg

IMG_20180715_010700.jpg

Quick update on plant growth, coming in slowly but surely! I've added a weak amount of ferts to my daily spray bottle, this seems to have made a marked difference so far :)

IMG_20180724_221506.jpg

IMG_20180724_221536.jpg

IMG_20180724_221541.jpg

IMG_20180724_221548.jpg

Hi all, quick update on the flexi emersed growth below.

Lobelia cardinalis is growing in ok, along with the reineckii mini red. Monte Carlo is so so, but this is because I'm overspraying I think, and it's getting submersed!

I also removed the hydrocotyle tripartita, as it seemed to creep up the sides but remain totally flat at the middle of its mass, this was slightly disappointing but I'm wondering if it's due to the high light intensity encouraging dense flat growth?

In any case, I now need a replacement for the top left corner, something that will look suitable next to the other plants but also offer a little variety!

Any suggestions? :)

IMG_20180807_223956.jpg

hmmm... in emersed growth the hydro wouldn't have grown upwards anyway to my knowledge or extensive experience on the plant.
Submersed it could have been done with proper trimming and control, sometimes even naturally.

hmmm... in emersed growth the hydro wouldn't have grown upwards anyway to my knowledge or extensive experience on the plant.
Submersed it could have been done with proper trimming and control, sometimes even naturally.

Another lesson learned!

Decided to try pogostemon Helferi, one of my forgotten favourites! Hopefully can acquire some sooner than later

Another lesson learned!

Decided to try pogostemon Helferi, one of my forgotten favourites! Hopefully can acquire some sooner than later
Good luck trying to find it! in the US I was looking for it for a 2 week period before I setup my 40b and couldn't find ANY good quality ones. Hard stuff around here!
p.s. I forgot to say epic plant growth!

Hi all, quick update on the flexi emersed growth below.

Lobelia cardinalis is growing in ok, along with the reineckii mini red. Monte Carlo is so so, but this is because I'm overspraying I think, and it's getting submersed!

I also removed the hydrocotyle tripartita, as it seemed to creep up the sides but remain totally flat at the middle of its mass, this was slightly disappointing but I'm wondering if it's due to the high light intensity encouraging dense flat growth?

In any case, I now need a replacement for the top left corner, something that will look suitable next to the other plants but also offer a little variety!

Any suggestions? :)

View attachment 117042
Looks good. Similar to my latest nano set up (see signature). I would add some form of rotala in there personally but then it is my favourite plant.

Update, I decommissioned this, removing most of the plants onto my windowsill planter to continue their growth, and with the sunlight its been night and day, they've rocketed in growth compared to the light of the flexi mini.

Guess it illustrates that natural is best, at least in this case!

I'm getting itchy feet to restart this again though, perhaps a wet start right from the beginning this time and more of a dutch scape as per original intentions!

What kit do you plan to use on the tank? I have just done an extremely low tech 12 litre set up with this light, sounds like you may be going the opposite direction? Really interested to hear your thoughts and see your progress!

What kit do you plan to use on the tank? I have just done an extremely low tech 12 litre set up with this light, sounds like you may be going the opposite direction? Really interested to hear your thoughts and see your progress!

I've got a small aquael hob, and I'm a big fan of the dennerle bio co2, I've been very pleased with results using it on other tanks :)

Must admit I'm enjoying the bio co2 also... though early days here, good to see others are getting good results too.

I've just looked up dennerle bio co2... I have been mistaken!

I am using biological liquid carbon. Sorry for any misunderstanding...

Don'
I've just looked up dennerle bio co2... I have been mistaken!

I am using biological liquid carbon. Sorry for any misunderstanding...

No worries! I haven't tried the biological liquid carbon, i'll need to look at it, is the main ingredient still glut? Not a fan of the stuff, even in extremely diluted quantities...

as per the dennerle bio co2, it is yeast based, but lasts over a month at a bubble every 3 seconds or so, very simple to set up and brilliant for tanks that don't have super ridiculous high light. Whether its going to be enough for my flexi mini set remains to be seen, worst case i'll add manual dimming i.e. floating plants etc lol

Back