• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another Flexi Mini Scape Set

Aqua360

Finally after about 3 years of procrastination, I've gotten round to buying a Flexi Mini Scape Set.

Very impressed with the glass, silicone work, and the light is superb, hoping to go high tech with this and create the very best aquascape I can.

I have a job filter and co2 internal diffuser, which may be likely to be insufficient, I also expect to be doing major major water changes under the power of the light.

It may be an idea for me to just go full Dutch aquascape, see what this tank can do, before I do a specific scape...anyway, updates and pics to follow soon!

So guys, I'm starting to look at the co2, and if I want to do this to the highest quality, I'm going to remove the diffuser and opt for injected co2.

I had a co2 art system a while back and got very familiar with using it, but since I plan to make this pretty much a Scape only tank with plants, I'm quite taken with the tropica system below

https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/co2-sy...NAvAJZMux7fBxZhRXtRk9622iaC5qAbRoCJKsQAvD_BwE

I realise this doesn't have a solenoid etc, but I'm pretty much fine with round the clock co2, according to their chart a 95g cartridge will last around 50 days, with refills priced at £15 each.

While I'm actually not overly fussed with that price for a refill at that rate, does anyone know if standard 95g unbranded cylinders will also work? I've had a cursory glance around but haven't seen anything yet, I really like the small size of the tropica kit, looks pretty stylish too!

Brand____Name___Height_______ Thread info.
UP Aqua / “Pierce” / 9.06” / Distributor did not know thread spec
Hydor / Green NRG / 7.5” / 5/8-18 threads
ADA / CO2 Advance / 8” / Metric threads + proprietary stand-off

some info on other brands, i would pop Tropica an email asking for the thread info and if there is a proprietary stand off.

It's images that I'm sure have been seen aplenty before, but wanted to let people see the bare tank, it's easily the best quality set I've owned. I've also left the bottom part of the packing on for now.

The glass is very clear, though dusty cause nobody has bought them in my Maidenhead aquatics store! and the light is superb, very glad I got this, seemed expensive at the time, but £79.99 I'd say is fair now. The hob filter is mine, pretty sure it's the small aquael.

IMG_20180315_181544.jpg

IMG_20180315_181610.jpg

IMG_20180315_181621.jpg

I still haven't moved on this, the tank remains as is, quick question though, I have some existing glasgarten plant soil that's been used, no idea how much charged nutrients it has in it, am I best investing in new soil, or is it recommended to stick with this and simply dose the water column?

Very tempted to stick in soil and plants, and go for the DSM while still sorting out co2

Most attempts with old Soil work out just fine - I'd be inclined to give it a good rinse or vacuum depending on last use & how it's been stored (hopefully dry?)
Of course in a tank this size, not much soil needed so relatively economic even if you buy new soil (i much prefer rescaping with dry soil) & you only need 1 in-vitro pot ;)

To boost nutrients, you can see a trick from Jurijs mit JS in this video short

I've Tropica Nano CO2 system - with a cyclinder shortage last year (gov't suddenly blocking shipments despite existing registrations & approvals :banghead:) I substituted Fluval disposable cylinders (only available alternate) - some were OK but threading was obviously less precise than Tropica

Most attempts with old Soil work out just fine - I'd be inclined to give it a good rinse or vacuum depending on last use & how it's been stored (hopefully dry?)
Of course in a tank this size, not much soil needed so relatively economic even if you buy new soil (i much prefer rescaping with dry soil) & you only need 1 in-vitro pot ;)

To boost nutrients, you can see a trick from Jurijs mit JS in this video short

I've Tropica Nano CO2 system - with a cyclinder shortage last year (gov't suddenly blocking shipments despite existing registrations & approvals :banghead:) I substituted Fluval disposable cylinders (only available alternate) - some were OK but threading was obviously less precise than Tropica

What sort of mileage do you get on the tropica?

I've used some over a couple years - it still cleans up fine, some particles (must) break down into dust but it doesn't seem to "mud" like some of the other Aquarium Soils
(I prefer the look & texture of the Powder so rarely use the larger particle version)

I've used some over a couple years - it still cleans up fine, some particles (must) break down into dust but it doesn't seem to "mud" like some of the other Aquarium Soils
(I prefer the look & texture of the Powder so rarely use the larger particle version)

Ah I meant the co2 system :D

As in how long does canister last? Or system in general?

I do find the o-rings deteriorate - this was an issue with those Fluval canisters as the leaking CO2 quickly degrades the (cheap) mystery material o-ring
With Tropica's canisters, the o-ring still degrades over a year or so, unfortunately I've not managed to convince Tropica to supply replacements - though shop has pulled some from new systems for me
- I can't fathom why Tropica doesn't just send out a packet of replacement o-rings & sell them on

(Shop did bring in some 3rd party O-rings that were supposed to fit ... they leaked ... :mad: )

None of the disposable canister CO2 systems I've seen use proper CO2 grade O-rings
(No idea why not, they aren't that expensive)

Canister longevity completely depends upon use ie CO2 flow rate, Tropica's 95g measure is always generous

Needle valve control is much better quality on the Tropica Nano than Fluval version (no comment on the ADA as it seems an extreme price, especially replacement canister costs (economic in Japan, very expensive locally))

As in how long does canister last? Or system in general?

I do find the o-rings deteriorate - this was an issue with those Fluval canisters as the leaking CO2 quickly degrades the (cheap) mystery material o-ring
With Tropica's canisters, the o-ring still degrades over a year or so, unfortunately I've not managed to convince Tropica to supply replacements - though shop has pulled some from new systems for me
- I can't fathom why Tropica doesn't just send out a packet of replacement o-rings & sell them on

(Shop did bring in some 3rd party O-rings that were supposed to fit ... they leaked ... :mad: )

None of the disposable canister CO2 systems I've seen use proper CO2 grade O-rings
(No idea why not, they aren't that expensive)

Canister longevity completely depends upon use ie CO2 flow rate, Tropica's 95g measure is always generous

Needle valve control is much better quality on the Tropica Nano than Fluval version (no comment on the ADA as it seems an extreme price, especially replacement canister costs (economic in Japan, very expensive locally))

Cheers for the detailed reply :)

I love the compact look of them, but they're just so bad economy wise, and if they degrade that's another con :(

I've been eyeing up the DIY pressurised co2 thread, getting closer to just biting the bullet on it. Would love the co2 supermarket nano kit but it's outside of budget

It's just the o-rings
I'd get replacement o-rings regardless of the set or manufacturer claims, if it's not the rubber(?) breaking down it will be the cat stealing it ;)

Shipping is the main cost on these cylinders - enough CO2 gas under pressure that special regulations apply

JBL does a system with 500g canisters (refillable IF someone local is able/has the fittings)

ISTA does the same but local distributors have only imported the version that mimics Tropica Nano, similar price but they do offer a small solenoid (no idea how well it works ... somewhat dubious looking at the system build & drives up the cost substantially)

quick question all, still haven't resolved co2 situation, I do however have some liquid carbon on hand...

What's the consensus on my chances of succeeding using liquid carbon only? I haven't settled on a plant list yet, but in any case will plant densely from the start to increase my chances

It's not easy to search out the liquid CO2 journals, there's another (more of) iwagumi style somewhere
I think this one's rather nice :D

Low-tech project by salava8

meant to mention to you, right after you mentioned the fluval regulators eventually breaking etc, mine did just that yesterday on the mini 20 kit lol, typical!

quick question all, still haven't resolved co2 situation, I do however have some liquid carbon on hand...

What's the consensus on my chances of succeeding using liquid carbon only? I haven't settled on a plant list yet, but in any case will plant densely from the start to increase my chances

You can easily get a nice planted tank with only using liquid carbon and some ferts, just gotta be a little bit more patient with plant growth.

You can easily get a nice planted tank with only using liquid carbon and some ferts, just gotta be a little bit more patient with plant growth.

Yep, only issue is the strength of the light on this is insane lol

Hi all,

some overdue updates on this never starting project :lol:

I recently considered selling this set-up, or even just the light, due to its very strong intensity and my current lack of appropriate equipment for it. However, after deliberation, I've decided on a new plan of attack, that makes much more sense, that is to create an emersed scape!

So basically what I'm going to create is a small garden, ideally with some hardscape (seiryu?) and some different plants such as hydrocotyle tripartita, alteranthera reinecki, and some others depending on what people would recommend?

I think the in-vitro pots are going to be ideal for this purpose, so if anyone has some suggestions please fire away!

Quite excited to get this started!

We have one at work whith some lovely plant growth. Very little algae issues, only using daily ferts and liquid carbon. Will post a pic soon.

Pogostemon stellatus
Rotala wallichii (goes wonderfully pink/red with the strong light.
Only Shrimp and a couple of endler guppies.

Back