• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andys HC propagator step by step

Andy; what temp is the water at inside the propagator, can you measure it?

Andy; what temp is the water at inside the propagator, can you measure it?
I can only tell you that the heater in the propagator raises temp by a few degrees. i only checked temp with my hand and its empty at the moment. apart than a few of strands of hc, i haven't cleaned out yet growing very very slowly, which im pretty tempted to leave till spring just to see if it survives all year with just natural sunlight

I just bought this one the other day;
7962.jpg

WIthout the dimmer (on the left) but with the temp/timer box; This has a temperature meter attached to it. This one is sticked deep in the substrate; which now measures 28 degrees (no plants yet); water is much higher; 35 degrees maybe? I have now put it to 23 degrees and let it rest overnight to see what temp the substrate will be. Then i will plant some Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' 1-2-grow and see what it does.

Can you use a non-heated propagator? Since it will be indoors the temperature will be around 16-24 and during the day there will be direct sunlight.

FYI, HC will grow well out side in a pot just like a typical plant.
The only issue is if it gets below freezing, then you need to take it back inside.
Water it daily if the temps are above 15C. Partial sun works well.

I grow it here in CA, USA where the humidity is often well under 20% during the day all summer long.

Aparently so

Here's my attempt at a growing on propagator. I set it up yesterday. I've decided to go with a mixture of Fluval shrimp stratum and some left over Limpopo and I've put in a little CO2 homebrew kit.

NBjWXnR.jpg

Hello,

The first 10 days my Hemianthous Cuba was doing great but now it is turning yellow and dying off:

e6eredet.jpg

It is the same concept as Andy's propagator but without the undersoil heating. Substrate is potting soil, the propagator is by a window and it gets good direct sunlight. I'm in Cyprus so you can imagine the sunlight is plenty.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• e6eredet.jpg
    e6eredet.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 332
Great idea! I'm going to buy some plants today to try this. Have 4 weeks before I set tank up so hopefully will have a harvest around then

cheers

Great idea! I'm going to buy some plants today to try this. Have 4 weeks before I set tank up so hopefully will have a harvest around then

cheers

You'll need additional light at this time of year for sure.

Ive got a double size propagator thats thermostatically controlled at a stable 20C and a 45w 6500k growlight suspended above the propagator, so hopefully that should help things along.
Does that sound ok?

Ive got a double size propagator thats thermostatically controlled at a stable 20C and a 45w 6500k growlight suspended above the propagator, so hopefully that should help things along.
Does that sound ok?

Sounds ideal.
I'll send you some seeds to grow too? Ill collect them when they need harvesting.

:p

I'm doubling my Marsilea crenata and Bacopa australis every week and I've harvested twice already. The substrate is a little Fluval shrimp stratum and a little limpopo sand with just enough water to cover the substrate and stop the plants drying out. I add a few drops of EI salts every few days. I have 8 LED modules and I'm adding a bit of CO2 from a home brew setup. I'm going to do another but I'm going to use agar enriched with ei salts and Easycarbo as the growing medium.
ziyLhCh.jpg

Attachments

• ziyLhCh.jpg
    ziyLhCh.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 335
This is today after removing a couple of bits for a friend. The Echinodorus tennellus isn't doing as well as the other two but I've already harvested it twice and this is just the bits that were too small to plant.
sul7BAx.jpg

Attachments

• sul7BAx.jpg
    sul7BAx.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 326
Back