• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

An ongoing distraction...

Chez_

I have begun a big distraction/project and it seems like a journal dedicated to it might a good thing.

A while back my delightfully amenable husband said that if I tidied out and and emptied two cupboards in the living room, we could put a big tank in there. So I did. And I got a 250l tank and stand from a bloke of Facebook, as you do.

The tank was too low -- I was worried my daughter's wheelchair would bash it -- so we chocked it up on breeze blocks. Then @ian_m pointed out that they'd crack, so I bought some racking (Thank you, Ian!).

IMG20240519115833.jpg

IMG20240614111505.jpg

I messed around with the idea of a sump for a bit and couldn't make it work. We live in a rented house and I don't want to flood it and rot the floors. Abandoning that meant I had a bit of space underneath for a quarantine tank.

IMG20240620102301.jpg

This was the point I went from 'let's spend minimal money' mode to 'I deserve nice things' mode.

Today we are here...

IMG20240723130137.jpg

I am about to replace the big 250l with a 360l. I have been reading the 'quick' mineralising soil threads. I am going to use new Westland Aquatic Potting Compost mixed with peat moss rather than the generic 'pond compost' I used without sieving when I set it up. I'm going to cap with the same sand and put the same plants and hardscape back in and use the same filter. Old tank is 66*15*18h new one is 60*18*24h, which is approaching the max load per shelf. Filter is a Fluval 307. Needing the tank up high out of the way of the wheelchair is no longer an issue, so it can come down a bit.

My aim is for a jungle feel, with lots of nano fish and red rili shrimp as well as Amanos and Nerites.

On the bottom shelf I'm going to put a shallow tank with moss-covered bogwood coming out of the water. Not decided on the live inhabitants yet.

On the top shelf I'm going to put a row of 12l tanks with a sandy substrates, epiphytes and floaters, with a different colour of cherry shrimp in each one.

I have a 50l tank to disassemble and combine with this big one and maybe a 100l one as well.

I'm going to put fascia around the steel shelves eventually and my amenable husband is a lighting designer by trade, so is quite keen on that aspect of it all.

This is where I am this morning. The lights for the little shrimp tanks arrived and I have got them and the sponge filters connected. I have the tanks connected together with one inch pipe and tank #8 has the heater, and a tiny 200lph pump that moves the water to tank #1. I reckoned that would mean I could treat the body of water as one rather than mucking around with each tank individually. At the moment I've got hornwort, guppy grass and java moss in each one and one or two other things I'm going to put in the big tank when it arrives next week -- I'm going to try a riccia fluitans lawn. I've got some anubias nana and java fern I need to attach to the hardscape.

1000021298.jpg

Today I'm going to start breaking down the big tank so I can put the new 360l together when it arrives next week without too much drama. I've had buckets of mineralising soil in the bathroom for three weeks now and my family are getting bored of it all.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I reckoned that would mean I could treat the body of water as one rather than mucking around with each tank individually.
They look great, and I think you can.
and one or two other things I'm going to put in the big tank when it arrives next week -- I'm going to try a riccia fluitans lawn.
I'm pretty sure "lawn" is <"unsustainable">. Susswassertang <"Lomariopsis lineata"> would be more of a possibility, you are more than welcome to <"some of mine">.

These are Marcel's (@zozo )
dscf9377-jpg-jpg.146327

The problem with Riccia fluitans is that it really wants to be at the water's surface. It <"pearls"> really well, mainly because the thallus interlock to retain oxygen and <"keep it up in the light">.

032_zpshql4rpwl-jpg.11003

cheers Darrel

Thanks, Darryl, that would be amazing. I've tried a mini fluitans lawn in my 100l, attached to a piece of mesh with a hairnet. It's reaching the point where it's all trying to float away now 🙂. Although at least the coreys haven't dug it up 🤣

As well as the mineralising soil in the bathroom I now have a spare 3' tank full of all the fish, so if the new tank doesn't come as promised on Thursday I'm in trouble.

Back