• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal An 'arium of some kind.

Because I just can't leave things alone, there have been changes to the original 'arium; it is now truly a paludarium. The land portion at the back was really just wasted space as I couldn't plant anything in the rear left quarter and the two plants that were planted would be fine without soil, so I did it. It also means that there is a deceptively large water body behind what is visible, which is accessible to the fish/shrimp. I was originally thinking to put clown killies in there, but I wanted a species which would build a colony and the shrimp would likely eat the clown killie's eggs as they're so tiny. I considered several other killies but either they preferred a higher temperature or they would become too large. Eventually, I opted for Phallicthys tico - the Dwarf Merry Widow. There are 2 pairs plus a random fry in there now. Just hoping I don't get completely overrun, which is why I've always avoided livebearers before now! It's impossible to get a photo right now because of the light, but here's a pic from when I first changed it (this was back on 14th April so it's had chance to settle now!). I'll add better photos when the light allows...
20230414_181621 (1).jpg

Sadly, the OG arium, the shallow tank succumbed to The Great Move and the need to reduce the number of heated open topped tanks. Fear not though, for it has been resurrected in the glorious shape of an Aquael Leddy 60, meaning the imbellis have the same footprint but more water! Huzzah!
Here's how it looks now, excuse the reflections (it's a south facing room and it's sunny):
20230526_142638.jpg

The eagle-eyed amongst you may spot the wall of hydrocotyle on the left, which was the emersed section at the front of the OG arium. I'm sure it will convert easily enough... Having been stored floating in the pond due to lack of anywhere else long enough for it to go, it now sports a small selection of livestock, including it's own colony of blackworms. Whether I can get them to colonise the tank before they're pickled off remains to be seen.
The hardscape is almost entirely made up of the ivy wood which was in the OG arium, plus the substrate, plants and filtration, so it was pretty much a straight swap with added rock. As per, my budget was for the tank only, so the rocks are from my garden. They are best viewed from the other side, though as this in now a 3 sided tank. This view also shows the filter branch (the wiggly bit of wood across the top) which I was happy to be able to include, but it also shows the equipment off well! Quick thank you to @_Maq_ for giving me the confidence to chuck the cyperus helferi in here too, hopefully it'll grow :)
20230526_144834.jpg

It wasn't all plain sailing though, as part way through, one of my dogs knocked a whole tub of shrimp food into a 12l fry tank (my bad for not putting the top on) so there was an emergency relocation of said imbellis fry into this tank. I didn't plan to raise them all with the adults, but no chance of catching them now! At least they're all alive, which is more than can be said for the poor fry tank (excuse for a rescape!) and they're being ignored by Mr Imbellis. Sadly, with imbellis being part of the splendens complex, even though they're known as the peaceful betta, Mr Imbellis wasn't very nice to the girls once they had served their purpose, and despite many hiding places, it wasn't enough. It was next to impossible to catch them, but I did manage to save two, who sadly succumbed to their injuries :( There's a lot to be said for keeping peaceful fish! Still, the next generation is growing well and once they are sexable (as much as they are) I'll remove the males and leave the females in there with their dad. There are 20+ youngsters so they can't all be male!

So, I have no idea whether this would be classed as a paludarium or terrarium with water feature, but whichever arium it is it's progressing :)
This was the start:
View attachment 194373View attachment 194374
And this is as far as I've got:
View attachment 194376
The plan is for a marsh/bog (obviously) with the wall and middle branch for epiphytes. There is space behind the waterfall for dryer terrestrial plants. I say dryer as there will be no avoiding wicking in this! The waterfall wasn't going to happen but I ended up removing it from a different set up that it was too big for, which at least means the water is filtered, albeit very slowly. This will be a slow grower as I work out what position each plant prefers but I already have Uticularia bisquamata for the waters edge.
What is the hard scape made of? Im planning my first non fully aquatic tank and want a natural background to support the large half submerged driftwood I already have in a pond that recently was taken down for winter.

Back