• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Am i doing something wrong?

Joao Marujo

Hello!

I have two planted tanks in which i apply in a daily basis my DIY ferts based on EI.

The specifications of the tanks are:
Dimensions - 100x40x50 (200L)
Light - 2x39W T5HO (will be upgraded, probably, to 2x80 PLL soon)
CO2 - pressurized system

Dimensions - 60x30x30 (540L)
Light - 2x24W T5HO
CO2 - Easy Carbo (pressurized system will arrive next week)

For these two tanks, i use only one solution of micro and another of macro which can been seen in the following images.
8ea.png

payj.png

The xls file can be seen here: RapidShare

In the small one, i dont have any problems with algae but i cant eliminate GSAs from the 200L one! Everytime i think i eliminate them, they appear again!

As the title says, am i doing something wrong? Are my ferts not good? What should i do to solve this?

Thanks in advanced for the help!

Best regards

GSA can be caused by low phosphate levels, poor CO2/ flow distribution or high lighting levels. You can refer to this link as its very helpful James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

P.S oops Clive beat me to it.:oops:

Thank you both for the answers.

About CO2, i thinking there isn't any problem since my dropcheker (with 4dkH solution) becomes lime green in a few hours.
Abolir waterplant flow, i have an eheim 2217 cleaned every month and from observing CO2 small bubbles, it reaches all tank.

Is it possible that my calculations are not correct?

If my calça are correct, In my next ferts, i will add more, probably, 10 more grams of KH2PO4 in order to have more PO4 availble.

Regarding the GSAs elimination process, what is the most efective?

Once again, thanks for all the help!

About CO2, i thinking there isn't any problem since my dropcheker (with 4dkH solution) becomes lime green in a few hours.
Actually, this is where most people go wrong. The worst mistake you can make in a CO2 enriched tank is to assume that your CO2 isn't any problem. About 95% of problems in a CO2 enriched tank is caused by problematic CO2. Therefore, you should ALWAYS assume that you have a CO2 problem. In fact, aquatic plants constantly have CO2 problems. It's simply a matter of degree.

If my calça are correct, In my next ferts, i will add more, probably, 10 more grams of KH2PO4 in order to have more PO4 availble.
Calculations are another problem. No calculations or spreadsheets can solve a PO4 problem, if the cause is in fact poor PO4. Just double the PO4 dosing and get on with it.

Regarding the GSAs elimination process, what is the most efective?
Well, really, I can't say exactly because it all depends on why there is GSA. This algae is tricky because of the fact that it is caused by (either or both) CO2 and PO4. If it can be confirmed that the cause is poor PO4 then it's very easy and effective to add more PO4, however, if the problem is due to poor CO2 then this is a much more difficult problem to solve. For maximum effectiveness therefore, it would be better to employ a global approach by:
1. Removing all affected leaves.
2. Increasing the frequency and volume of water changes.
3. Reducing the light intensity, at least temporarily.
4. Adding more PO4.
5. Following the procedures similar to that found in the thread Melting Marsilea hirsuta & Staurogyne repens? | UK Aquatic Plant Society in order to determine the effectiveness of your CO2 diffusion method.

Cheers,

Thank you very much for the help ceg! ;)

Actually, this is where most people go wrong. The worst mistake you can make in a CO2 enriched tank is to assume that your CO2 isn't any problem. About 95% of problems in a CO2 enriched tank is caused by problematic CO2. Therefore, you should ALWAYS assume that you have a CO2 problem. In fact, aquatic plants constantly have CO2 problems. It's simply a matter of degree.

Well, i see that this CO2 is not a exact "science"...i will try to keep an eye on this.

Calculations are another problem. No calculations or spreadsheets can solve a PO4 problem, if the cause is in fact poor PO4. Just double the PO4 dosing and get on with it.

Since i dont know exactly what is the root-cause of GSAs in my tank, i decided to add a bit more of KH2PO4 in the macro ferts i did last night. Accordingly to my spreadsheet, now i have 6.36ppm/week for the 54L and 5.72 ppm/week in the 200L.

Well, really, I can't say exactly because it all depends on why there is GSA. This algae is tricky because of the fact that it is caused by (either or both) CO2 and PO4. If it can be confirmed that the cause is poor PO4 then it's very easy and effective to add more PO4, however, if the problem is due to poor CO2 then this is a much more difficult problem to solve. For maximum effectiveness therefore, it would be better to employ a global approach by:
1. Removing all affected leaves.
2. Increasing the frequency and volume of water changes.
3. Reducing the light intensity, at least temporarily.
4. Adding more PO4.
5. Following the procedures similar to that found in the thread Melting Marsilea hirsuta & Staurogyne repens? | UK Aquatic Plant Society in order to determine the effectiveness of your CO2 diffusion method.

You have been very helpul ceg. Thanks for your patience! I will take under consideration all your advices and suggestion in order to solve the problem.

Cheers

Back