• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternanthera deficiency

What could you suggest to fix this deficiency? Increase fertilazer dosage?
What would I do.

Well to start with I'd probably lower the peak light intensity from 90% down to 70%, I'd also double the amount of fertilizer you add, especially the premium. It might also be wise to invest in some magnesium sulphate (MgSO4), regardless of how hard your tap water is some of the leaves appear to have mg deficiencies.

Could just be a case of lowering the light will help, I just feel the Epiphytes won't be benefiting from the aqua soil after 5 months and probably need some nutrition.

Remember, this isn't my tank so weigh up the advice you get before making a decision.

What would I do.

Well to start with I'd probably lower the peak light intensity from 90% down to 70%, I'd also double the amount of fertilizer you add, especially the premium. It might also be wise to invest in some magnesium sulphate (MgSO4), regardless of how hard your tap water is some of the leaves appear to have mg deficiencies.

Could just be a case of lowering the light will help, I just feel the Epiphytes won't be benefiting from the aqua soil after 5 months and probably need some nutrition.

Remember, this isn't my tank so weigh up the advice you get before making a decision.
Oke I will try with lowering the light. Do you think one month will be enough for testing?

I am personally not a big fan of the advice of just telling fellow hobbyists that comes here for help to just yank out the plants that are struggling... that seems to undermine the whole premise of our forum :) in some rare cases that may be a reasonable advice of last resort, but not in this case... I think the Alternanthera's are the canary in the coal mine here... and as @John q points out it's not just the Alternanthera's that are struggling.

I would forget about the Premium and just do 14 ml of Specialized every day that would target your tank at 1.3 N ppm/wk. Possibly supplement with some Mg as your tap is likely low on Mg to begin with.

Cheers,
Michael

I am personally not a big fan of the advice of just telling fellow hobbyists that comes here for help to just yank out the plants that are struggling... that seems to undermine the whole premise of our forum :) in some rare cases that may be a reasonable advice of last resort, but not in this case... I think the Alternanthera's are the canary in the coal mine here... and as @John q points out it's not just the Alternanthera's that are struggling.

I would forget about the Premium and just do 14 ml of Specialized every day that would target your tank at 1.3 N ppm/wk. Possibly supplement with some Mg as your tap is likely low on Mg to begin with.

Cheers,
Michael
Thank you very much for your advise! How much Mg should I dose?

Thank you very much for your advise! How much Mg should I dose?
If needed, you probably do not need to add more than 4-5 ppm with your Water change... Can you pull a water report from the city you are living in?

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:
If this is a good indicator (I guess it should be for a nearby city in your part of the world) you should have around 8 ppm of Mg in your tap water. Which is totally fine. Actually the 42 ppm of Ca average stated in the report and the 8 ppm of Mg = 7.6 GH matches your measured 8 GH - so that checks out fine. Your water report looks fine otherwise - low Nitrate, low Phosphate etc. Sulphate and Sodium (Natrium) is a bit high, but not alarmingly so.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
The thing is , I have another 60l breeding tank. I do not dose anything there, and it grow there amazingly! Here is the photo
1_3-jpg.202193

Yes. There is that... :lol: ... is that just straight tap with no ferts ?... how long its been in there?

Last edited:
1_3-jpg.202193

Yes. There is that... :lol: ... is that just straight tap with no ferts ?... how long its been in there?
No fertilizer, nothing, just water conditioner and here we are, it is the date as other ones, was from the same cup. How the hell this is possible. Small and cheap light 12 hours.
What I also could think the height of tank, my main tank is 80 sm height, maybe too high for proper lighting?
Could it be lighting period? In this small tank it is around 12-13 hours.

No fertilizer, nothing, just water conditioner and here we are, it is the date as other ones, was from the same cup.
4 months? How often do you change water in this tank? what livestock do you keep there?

How the hell this is possible. Small and cheap light 12 hours.
I have absolutely no idea how the plant can do well for as long as +4 months without fertilizers other than what it gets from the tap water (which is pretty darn lean judging from the water report), other plants decay / organic waste and perhaps the pot it's planted in.... It must be running on fumes.

I am going to summon Darrel / @dw1305 on this one to get his take...

What I also could think the height of tank, my main tank is 80 sm height, maybe too high for proper lighting?
Could it be lighting period? In this small tank it is around 12-13 hours.
I am a believer in long photo periods myself running both my tanks at 12 hours, but fairly moderate light intensity (one more than the other).

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
4 months? How often do you change water in this tank? what livestock do you keep there?

I have absolutely no idea how the plant can do well for as long as +4 months without fertilizers other than what it gets from the tap water (which is pretty darn lean judging from the water report), other plants decay / organic waste and perhaps the pot it's planted in.... It must be running on fumes.

I am a believer in long photo periods myself running both my tanks at 12 hours, but fairly moderate light intensity (one more than the other).

Cheers,
Michael
Not 4 months this is my bad.I have planted one portion 4 months ago and another around one month ago, so thihs guy been planter around 1 month Stock very small baby angel fishes and 7-8 baby ancistruses

So. Starting from today I have reduced the light from 90% to 70% (White - 70% , Blue - 70, Red -70, Green - 60). Changed duration of light from 8 to 10 hours. Dosed 20 ml special today and going to keep the same schedule for a month. Let see hot it will progress. Here the photos of other plants. The rotalas has been planted 2-3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 1.4.jpg
    1.4.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 1.5.jpg
    1.5.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 1.7.jpg
    1.7.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 1.8.jpg
    1.8.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1.9.jpg
    1.9.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 74
  • 1.10.jpg
    1.10.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 1.11.jpg
    1.11.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 74
Hi all,
......and another around one month ago, so this guy been planter around 1 month
I'd expect some deficiency symptoms fairly soon, probably starting with a non-mobile nutrient if you <"don't dose at all">.
..... and just do 14 ml of Specialized every day that would target your tank at 1.3 N ppm/wk. Possibly supplement with some Mg as your tap is likely low on Mg to begin with.
Dosed 20 ml special today and going to keep the same schedule for a month
Yes perfect, see what happens.

cheers Darrel

Do you guys suggest to get dry fertilizers and dose according EI?
It's definitely cheaper. And if you collect a reasonable assortment of chemicals (broader than EI), you'll get flexibility. You'll be able to dose exactly what your plants need.
Nevertheless, your plants look beautiful, I envy your crypts. If I had a tank in a state like this I'd change precisely nothing. Your plants are probably happy with your tap water PLUS nutrients from fish feeding. Don't forget that essential nutrients for fish and for plants are largely identical.

Back