• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All the things I did not think I would use or buy

Bradders

Funny, isn't it? When I got back into this hobby, there were things that I never thought I would purchase or do. These, for me, included:
  • Purchase of a high-precision pipet for administering liquid chemicals.
  • Purchase of a precision set of scales to measure powder and food quantities.
  • Purchase and usage of an Inkbird Temperature Controller to prevent paranoia of temperature issues.
  • Soaking a rock to see if it leaches and measuring with a purchased TDS meter.
  • Reverse Osmosis water.
Anyone else find themselves buying and using stuff they did not expect?!

Scientific stuff that i really don't understand how to use properly, but like to record the results in a book like a bloody mad man!
TDS Meter . Water test kit.

I have several several Tweezers and Scissors ranging from cheap to expensive. Save money and buy expensive and buy once!

Clip on lights.
I love all my stuff and find any excuse to use it!

I’m generally tricky to convince to buy things, as in I believe simplicity is key.

I then bought an ADA super jet, used it for about a week. Looks nice tho.

Anyone else find themselves buying and using stuff they did not expect?!

Yes over the last like 4-5 years (and stuff I still use):
  • TDS meters
  • A microgram scale to measure out my DIY minerals and fertilizers (which was all new to me)
  • ORP meter
  • UV filters
  • Automatic Feeders for when we travel
  • Surface skimmers (which I no long use, but still would recommend)
  • Timed, remote controlled and programmable light fixtures
Other than that its probably the opposite... Way more stuff that turned out to be useless or just didn't work - but I've been in the hobby for some 35-40 years.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I use one of these (WiFi version). Great bit of kit.
Agreed. It scratches both the 'techie lover' aspect and protects the aquarium from damaging temperature issues.

If I could, I really would place everything online (lights, pumps, heating and chemistry balances) to monitor everything in one place and anywhere. I just love that stuff!

I don’t own anything fancy or laboratory grade. I’m old school, mostly just wing it when it comes to fertz, and don’t test. Don’t think I ever imagined I’d own a pair of wave or sprung scissors though.

Last edited:
leaves from Sri Lanka...
Ceylon_Tea_logo.png

• Purchase of a high-precision pipet for administering liquid chemicals.
  • Purchase of a precision set of scales to measure powder and food quantities.
After a few months, I stopped measuring and just went by number of 'pumps' for a bottle with a pump, or a visual estimate, in the case of adding solids like Epsom salts. :)

Someone should totally start up AquaBay for second hand goods.
Update:
Alder Twigs.
Dennerle Yummy Gum. Just couldn't resist.

Back