• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alkaline/Hard water used for water change into acidic/soft water aquarium

Interesting link, but does not really point to anything specific. i.e. what is the level in PPM of water hardness that can cause this? And what is required in the food to minimise the effect within dietary terms.

Interesting link, but does not really point to anything specific. i.e. what is the level in PPM of water hardness that can cause this? And what is required in the food to minimise the effect within dietary terms.
I suspect it's difficult to measure because of the variables involved, genetics specifically. Two humans can have the same diet and lifestyle, and one test kidney stones and the other doesn't or calcium deposits in joints. Possibly the same with fish.

My intepretation from the basic summary is 'reduce calcium'.. Well I just signed up for my local Spotless Water thingy, and it's not far away, so perhaps i'll give that a go and try and keep it soft water...... (will research using this in aquariums but they claim TDS=0)..

Hi all,
I suspect it's difficult to measure because of the variables involved, genetics specifically. Two humans can have the same diet and lifestyle, and one test kidney stones and the other doesn't or calcium deposits in joints. Possibly the same with fish.
Interesting link, but does not really point to anything specific.
There doesn't seem to be much specific scientific research on ornamental fish. This was as good as I could find <"http://www.bioflux.com.ro/docs/2016.574-579.pdf"> "Mousavi, S.M., Rezaie, A., Ahmadmoradi, E. and Mohammadi, F., (2016). "Histopathology of nephrocalcinosis in some ornamental fishes". Aquaculture, Aquarium, Conservation & Legislation, 9:3, pp.574-579."

There is quite a lot for aquaculture, but the fish tend to be euryhaline (Salmon, Trout etc) or pretty tolerant of a large range of water conditions (Carp, Tilapia, Channel Catfish etc).

The main "aquarium fish" kept in labs. is the Zebra(fish) Danio (Danio rerio) <"Review of diseases and health management in zebrafish Danio rerio (Hamilton 1822) in research facilities - PubMed">, and it is another tolerant species.

None of these fish (in labs or aquaculture) live anything lie their full life spans, so even if hard water was reducing their longevity ? We wouldn't know.

There is research that suggests that adding Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) leaves increases fry survival in Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi) culture (in soft water), but it doesn't give a mechanism <"The survival and growth performance of juvenile cardinal tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi) with application of tropical almond (Terminalia catappa) leaves | Nusantara Bioscience">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
My intepretation from the basic summary is 'reduce calcium'.. Well I just signed up for my local Spotless Water thingy, and it's not far away, so perhaps i'll give that a go and try and keep it soft water...... (will research using this in aquariums but they claim TDS=0)..
Using soft water is one of a few parameters that will help ease the task of growing most aquatic plants and will also broaden your options to keep a wider range of fish that will be more than comfortable in the environment you create. Your neon tetras will thank you for it.
Cheers!

Using soft water is one of a few parameters that will help ease the task of growing most aquatic plants and will also broaden your options to keep a wider range of fish that will be more than comfortable in the environment you create. Your neon tetras will thank you for it.
Cheers!

Thanks. Yeah, I need to make a call on it really. Go soft, or go hard!

Good point. Around here I am probably somewhat of a hard-liner on this... It's undisputed that TDS (or EC) is directly related to osmotic regulation... an essential physical process similar to us humans needing to breathe fresh air without obstructions.... Fish adapted to soft water (associated with low TDS/EC) from eons of evolution will struggle in a high TDS/EC environment. Yes, they wont succumb shortly or even longer term from being held in 400 ppm water vs. say 100 or 50 ppm water, but unnaturally high TDS/EC will put an extra strain on their body that will potentially make them more susceptible to diseases and shorten their live expectancy. For such fish - as say most Tetras - that are naturally found in super soft water habitats and even bred in captivity in super soft water (eggs and fry wont develop otherwise!) and later gradually adapted to more mineral rich water by the breeders to make them more economically viable, keeping those in excessively hard water is just not a good idea from an animal welfare perspective. Hobbyists that don't care or think it doesn't matter should just limit themselves to keep plants or plants and livestock adapted to a super wide range of conditions (not many fish choices in this category btw. - Zebras and some other Danio's as @dw1305 mention will work).

Thanks. Yeah, I need to make a call on it really. Go soft, or go hard!
Good call @uk_sjo ... as far as plants goes plenty of plants especially in the easy category can cope and flourish in both hard and soft water.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back