• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae transfer risk?

In diana walstads' book,she mentions putting algae infected plants in her tanks..and watching it disappear.

Everyone is wrong. It will multiply and destroy your tank. You should give it all to me for proper disposal. :) just kidding.
I have placed a piece of drift wood compleately covered in algae into a different tank and there isn't a spec of algae now it only took about two weeks and for it to disappear. You should be good. If you get algae growth it would have happend with or without being introduced.

Beginning a new tank with algae free plants - what sterile TC is very much promoted for - & waiting on the few algae spores present in environment to inoculate & prosper :angelic:
is rather a different scenario than beginning same tank with an excellent algae source in situ ...

Some people seem to constantly battle algae, others seem to have very little algae developing ... if you feel confident in managing the algae, then bring over the MC :)

OTOH a single in vitro cup of MC goes a long ways ;)

I did an impulsive rescape on my 90cm (OK so most of my rescapes are sudden decisions :rolleyes: ) - I did break up the MC mat & plant rather ungently (it all floated up after the gentle re-plant :wideyed: ) - it responded with excellent growth & is filling in much faster than if beginning with emerse culture MC (given my usual lazy aquarist conditions :oops:)

Tropica has switched over some of their 1-2-Grow to a new cup & liquid media system - the other day I saw Ranunculus inundates & Rotala 'Bonsai' in both cup systems, plants in the new cups looked much more like (very nice) submerse growth.

Also heads up guys, I'll be selling for a low price; some plants affected by the algae, as I don't plan to use many of them on my smaller set-up, will try and get a better idea of these sorted out soon :)

Back