• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ada 60P - nature aquarium

180417094353227010.jpg

180417094353622018.jpg

180417094358732635.jpg

Finally!

Hyphessobrycon roseus?
if so, nicest I've seen - how long have they been in the tank?
(they always look very subdued in the shop)

How big are those gobies? Did you get a pair or group?

:sorry: for all the questions

Stiphodon Percnopterygionus

;)

Oh very cool, are you injecting Co2? I read they need high oxygen levels, I did look into Stiphodon for my river tank but they are impossible to find in Australia

Hyphessobrycon roseus?
if so, nicest I've seen - how long have they been in the tank?
(they always look very subdued in the shop)

How big are those gobies? Did you get a pair or group?

:sorry: for all the questions

You're welcome,

Yes, these are roseus tetra, at the Time of this pic they were in the tank for only a couple hours. I'll take another shot today, they really pop out in a planted tank and twinstar rgb helps too. Lovely underrated fishes.

I got a pair of stiphodon, this is one of the smallest species, female is about 4cm and male 3,5cm adult size. I hope to feed them With spirulina gel because the male is skinny...they're awesome fish to watch

Oh very cool, are you injecting Co2? I read they need high oxygen levels, I did look into Stiphodon for my river tank but they are impossible to find in Australia

Sorry to hear that, strangely you're living near them as they come from japan.

I'm injecting CO2 but not so much and I got a lot of surface agitation+chihiros doctor+overrated filtration...hope they will be ok. Time will tell!

Nice journal and beautiful tank!
I love the buces!
I am currently considering Stiphodons too, just have to love them!
Was doubting a bit myself because i also inject co2, but like you say they should be ok with enough surface agitation... It will be interesting to see how things go in your tank.

'cheetah on the run' because of the shape of the middle Wood I just add. :D
Hehe, i spotted the cheetah! Sweet!

Sorry to hear that, strangely you're living near them as they come from japan.

I'm injecting CO2 but not so much and I got a lot of surface agitation+chihiros doctor+overrated filtration...hope they will be ok. Time will tell!

They are not allowed to be imported to my country, along with a huge list of other fish, we have tough laws! Australia has native Stiphodon, but very very very (very) rare, they are beautiful and very interesting fish! keeps us updated

Check locale & species of the particular stiphodons - while some are decidedly riverine, many are from quieter pools

I'd forgotten that one far too thin individual Stiphodon sp. went onto my "quiet zone" Betta hendra tank (long ago 45 cm ADA tank with frosted back & sides) that depends on window light (only H micranthemoides grew through the winter) & a slowed down Eheim Classic 150 ... I found him/her fat & happy when I took down the tank yesterday (believing it was fishless)
There was a good amount of algae in the tank with the summer/fall sun - though I find mine also seem to love frozen brine shrimp (blood worms not so much)

Like the ones above, it's a smaller species, imported as type X which it assuredly isn't - this is not uncommon with Stiphodon shipments

They do seem oxygen sensitive when arriving in the shops, so I'd not place any into a high CO2 tank initially - regardless of current & surface ripple

(It's likely they arrive with some degree of ich as its prevalent at the holding farms, I usually treat all incoming fish with an anti-ich med, if they seem much more active after the first Tx, I do a 3-5 day course depending
Note that fish with obvious ich "spots" are well infested & should be treated over a couple weeks rather than a couple days)

Thanks guys and thanks for the tips about stiphodon sp too, hope they'll
Be fine on my tank. From now they seem to be OK, but they're hiding a lot.

They don't dig very often, only the male do so and it seems that it prefers to hide between the wood. Hopefully he won't destroy my sand path!

Last edited:
Please don't pay attention to algae and overall bad plant shape, I'm still trying to find balance.

Isn't that why we add interesting fish - the ultimate distraction :D

It's always more interesting to see an aquascape in all it's guises, rather than just the perfect moments

I just did a partial rescape - everything out & soil substrate well vacuumed, then old & new pieces back
No fish for the first week so I could run outrageous CO2
Still a plant I've never seen melt, has now completely gone (it was a tissue culture cup that had sat in the shop for several weeks before purchase)
I just added fish 2 days ago, I'd noticed slight melt on a few leaves, then a few more next day, now the entire plant has gone ... so I just admire the sparkly new fish :)

That's right! I particulary love to watch All the algae eaters doing the work for me, the stiphodon are grazing on pebbles and wood All day long, amano shrimps are busy at cleaning sand and snails are good glass cleaners. :)

Next step is adding some otocinclus, What do you think, 4 is enough or do I need more?

Btw, here's a pic with the zoom lens, previous pic was taken with my macro lens hence the blurriness in the background ;

18042708551813120.jpg

Cheers guys

Back