• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60F iwagumi

The dry start principle is sound in that the plants take root & can be placed in very specific areas without being blown out of the substrate by strong water flow or being pulled out by fish but... the down side is .... big die off of the leaves when you flood the tank.
Normally a dry start would last at least 6 weeks if you want a complete carpet, growth should be quite a bit faster than when the tank is flooded & even though you can expect leaf die off, once the tank is filled with water, recovery is pretty fast if you supply enough gas due to the established roots...

Dry start can be really good, once carpeted it'll look so good you won't want to fill it haha

I did a dsm iwagumi and was told to have no standing water, there seems to be a fair bit in your tank ATM is it always like that or just after a misting??

I actually just topped water up as couldn't see how low it was, I don't mist as was told dont need to do u think I should be misting ?

Thanks dean

Look no standing water & 28c inside....

17dcec8f.jpg

hc.jpg

Their reptile heat mats, can get them at different wattage so higher temps. I used these when I need bearded dragons, I would send u some but sold my Kit :p sorry. Look on Ebay, there averagely priced.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jack-rythm said:
Their reptile heat mats, can get them at different wattage so higher temps. I used these when I need bearded dragons, I would send u some but sold my Kit :p sorry. Look on Ebay, there averagely priced.

Ah right, they are quite well priced! So where do you position them? you would disturb the scape if you put them underneath wouldnt you??

The ones I use are dating back a few years & were sold for fishtank use, they are flexible, as in you can roll them into a circle but, you certainly could not fold one in half - just like a 2mm thick sheet of plastic.
However I dont think there is much difference between what I have & the reptile mats...
I have about 5-6 varying from 8w - 25w & 20cm - 60cm they dont need thermostats if you match the size to the tank, they seem to get about 20 -25c in temp but the lights can raise the temp to well over 30 sometimes.

i agree fox fish i couldnt find a way to get my heater in a tub in tank without being on the substrate as its so shallow any ideas ?

might look into heat mat but its a money i dont really have might just have to flood when get all parts and fill with co2

Dean

I will try only problem I how shallow the tank is only 18 cm an about 3 of that is now substrate and then the grass but will see if have a small tub if not I will start spraying daily but think it needs heat aswel

Thanks again
Dean

My success at dry start didn't involve a heat mat, just light an limited ventilation with a daily mist of tank water :)

Back