• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60F iwagumi

i leave around a cm along edge to stop mold did you do that and i am going to start spraying daily tomorro i am seeing growth just not spread yet

thanks dean

well i sprayed this morning (just purchased spray bottle) to keep humid also b and q have 3 for 2 on digital mini times so got 3 for £10 so got some for light and co2 will get some pics next week defently seeing growth in grass at the frint should i trimm again or leave to grow ?

thanks dean

Is it ok to trim my hair grass as is getting very long, just chicking its ok in the dry start method

thanks dean

thanks jack how low should i trim it ? its hard when tank not flooded as have to catch all the grass lol

dean

you could fill slightly to cut the grass, collect the floating grass and then syphon the water back out. that would moisten the grass too. you wanna cut it down to about half an inch to an inch really to force it to spread. good luck mate

well here is a few pics before and after my trim
before the trim
dscn0629g.jpg

after the trim
dscn0631i.jpg

thanks again jack
Dean

Might order some more pots then maybe 4-5 pots, would it spread better once my regulator arrives if I flood and pump full of co2 and EI dosing ? Also will have heater and filter running then I am thinking its just cold that's all

Thanks Dean

because It was quite long and Deano was aiming for more spread. I know that if you trim it back down to a short length of around half and inch to an inch it speeds up the spreading process.. this is what I have done with my tanks so just giving Deano some advice I have had good success with. why you ask fox?

I was led to believe that it had been in there 1-2 weeks so was settled enough to cut. I got the advice right here on this forum from a fair few people so decided to try it and i could notice a big difference. maybe it was in one of my very very very first tanks I did.. maybe in one of my journals maybe? not too sure to be honest. I was also talking to Dan Crawford about my hair grass at AL and he suggested this method. I know many people do this and after my positive experience with it I thought I would pass on the tip :)

I also found this in my watch list on youtube tat I must of had months back :)

Im know expert in the logic of growth so cant explain how or why it works, I just know it does :)

I've also found big trims with hairgrass a winner. This was a flooded tank however.

Works good with glosso too.

As we know virtually all the aquarium plants we buy are grown emersed so when we place them underwater the leaves die back to be replaced by new growth more suited to growing underwater underwater, hence the benefit of trimming or removing the leaves...
I was questioning the logic in trimming back a hardy established plant while in its emersed state?
I honestly don't know the answer but, I dont normally cut back my pot plant & stick them on the window sill, at least not until they have adjusted & grown.

I think allowing 1-2 weeks should be enough for the parvula to adjust. but then I too dont know the tue answer. im going on second hand evidence and first hand experience. But have never done an immersed planted start either so it may differ from that perspective, although I cant see why it would change anything. the roots of the plant is submersed either way. I wouldn't advise cutting if their literally brand newly bought but I remember reading this a week or so ago so assumed that by now they would of adapted. although when the tank is filled everything will need to re-adapt again lol parvula IMO is a very strengthy plant so should be fine :)

Back