• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 45P Forest scape

Day 25
Cycle is going fast with the eheim classic 150 that already has bacteria in it and the soil that has been in DSM for 3 weeks. Think I am going to add the Neocaridina heteropoda var. Yellow and clithon sp. after 3 weeks from now. Hopefully there will be enough biofilm by that time.

37627835100_15642e2872_k.jpg
ada 45p forest scape nigel day 25 by Nigel H, on Flickr

Love to see the skimmer in the tank. I have biofilm in my 30cm nano, but I don’t want much in the tank. I wish someone would make a truly nano skimmer. I have a design, but need someone with a 3D printer and skills to stick it on a PC.

Hi
Nigel95 is tanking about biofilm on the surfaces around the tank that is not always visible and is used by critters for food and sign of matured aquarium. I think U are talking about surface film that is caused from excess organics and is not sth that anyone will want as is obstructing the good gas exchange .The two are something completely different
Regards Konsa

Love to see the skimmer in the tank. I have biofilm in my 30cm nano, but I don’t want much in the tank. I wish someone would make a truly nano skimmer. I have a design, but need someone with a 3D printer and skills to stick it on a PC.
We usually refer to the surface one as "surface scum" because it serves no good purpose (at least that I know of). Like @Konsa mentioned, the other kind of biofilm is a good food source for small critters, specially for shrimp.

New buce clump 'mini coin'. Got it very cheap only € 27 for 27 rhizomes (some very small). So only 1 euro per rhizome! If I buy it from stores here it is like 5 euro per rhizome. This was from a guy who imports straight from Indonesia. To reduce shipping costs he asks a lot of people and does 1 big order at a time. Had to wait a long time for it but all worth it. Hopefully they won't melt. Placed them in this tank and the 34 gal aswell.

26926945149_0045873b35_k.jpg
buce clump mini coin by Nigel H, on Flickr

Again new fish from the store (boraras brigittae). The last time I bought 10, only 2 survived. Got 8 new from the store and after 7 hours of drip method tds matched with aquarium and container. When transferring already 2 fishes were dead?? Weak fish from the store?

Water parameters seems fine beside my GH is low around 5 and in store 10+.

I had the same experience with boraras brigitae. Bought a few and lost most of them within days. I guess the stock was bad and maybe they were not fed very well at the store. I feed mine grindal worms.

Very nice hardscape Nigel :jimlad:

Thanks!

I had the same experience with boraras brigitae. Bought a few and lost most of them within days. I guess the stock was bad and maybe they were not fed very well at the store. I feed mine grindal worms.

Bought some now at Other store and they do way better! More expensive but worth it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Really like where this is going! I think the roots up front are a little distracting though (think less is more here). If you can, I would add more "trunks" to the back of the scape, it feels a little sparse right now. When you go into a forest you see a ton of layers.

Really like where this is going! I think the roots up front are a little distracting though (think less is more here). If you can, I would add more "trunks" to the back of the scape, it feels a little sparse right now. When you go into a forest you see a ton of layers.

Thanks! Yeah roots are much in front but plants will soft this a little bit up in time (I think). Unfortunately there is no more space to place extra trunks in het back of the scape. It is really hard to copy a real forest in such a small tank.

Hi, If you have an inline heater why not an inline CO2 reactor...it is much more efficent than the defuser you have and keeps clutter out of the tank

Back