• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Wee Bit Wild

Claire

Hi all!

I was recently motivated to do something with my vision 180 after seeing Ian's journal "Back to my Roots", and decided like him to do something very simplistic and nice to look after. No fancy aquascaping, just bung some plants in and see how we go.

The tank had previously been a bit abandoned and looked like this:
20140107_205158_zpse3bddbeb.jpg

On friday though, I got a few bunches of different plants and threw them in. There are a couple of pots sitting in the tank which are for another small tank which I will be setting up at the weekend, so please excuse those!
The end result was this - a bit mad!
20140115_205439_zpskrm5xbzv.jpg

I'm happy with the layout of the left hand side, but on the middle I am looking to try and sell the big aponogeton and put some more stems in it's place, and get some stems to put in the back right corner where the pot of stellata is just now. Otherwise, I think it just needs a few weeks for all the rear stems to grow in and fill out. I may move the echinodorus compacta around a bit too once the back is filling out a bit and I can see better what it is turning out like...

The left hand side which I'm fairly happy with:
20140115_205503_zpsokkw3xtj.jpg

I tried to get a picture of my menace snowball pleco (LDA33) but he's not playing ball right now and is trying to hide under a rock. I will persevere!

And thoughts/critique welcome! I know this isn't a proper scape, but I am planning a very prim and proper manicured little tank to set up and the weekend and just wanted something that I could let grow a little wild!

PS. Apologies for the frankly diabolical picture quality. I realise that you can hardly even make out what plants they are haha. I will bring my good camera home next week……….promise.

Hi Claire. I really like your new layout, it certainly makes the hobby far more relaxing and enjoyable when you go back to basics. Are you running co2 on this tank nor are you going low tech? I've gone low tech now as I don't have the time these days to be constantly trimming and tweaking all the time.

Still running co2 as the co2 and ferts side of things isn't too much hassle on this tank. I have found a good level for co2 to sit that doesn't cause problems and I can get fire extinguishers for free so there's no extra cost. Fertilisers I made up an all in one solution from powders and then dose daily with a peristaltic pump. Leaves just the watching and feeding of fish. And waiting (not so) patiently for plants to fill out :)

Like the look of the tank mate. That piece of wood in your last setup looks amazing thats exactly the kind I'm after for my 180 before I get it set up.

Yeah, it was a great find. Got it off of ebay. Keeping it though in my hardscape box for another time as I'm sure I'll use it again at some point :)

Thanks James. :) I am actually enjoying this setup as I have already cracked the flow, co2 and ferts on the previous scape and now this one is so easy to let grow. Just water changes to do :)

Some slightly better pictures of plants and inhabitants.

Hygrophila rosae australis
DSC_0656_zps4b753440.jpg

Aponogeton crispus "red" flower
DSC_0670_zps94927b8b.jpg

Harlequin rasbora
DSC_0660_zps67b2a91f.jpg

Pearling hydrocotyle japan
DSC_0651_zps00059209.jpg

(Shy) snowball pleco (LDA33)
DSC_0666_zpsb5420d5c.jpg

And I don't know what this plant is as I got it out of a local pet shop, hasn't grown much since I got it but hopefully it will do soon. Any ideas?
DSC_0662_zps35a924a9.jpg

DSC_0661_zpse2f74db8.jpg

Looks like Shinersia (I think called american oak leaf) or some sp. of Potamogeton. Does it make runners, a little like Vallisneria ??
Mick.

That snowball plec is beautiful. I can understand why you forgive them for trashing plants.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Got some nice pearling going on there Claire. That will be a very nice tank when it fills out a bit and you can swap and change a few plants to your hearts content. That's what I like about this 'back to roots' idea. We all like to change things around and it's so much easier without lots of hard scaping to move. Looking forward to seeing it again in a few weeks:thumbup:.
Harry.

Looks like Shinersia (I think called american oak leaf) or some sp. of Potamogeton. Does it make runners, a little like Vallisneria ??
Mick.

I haven't seen it sending out runners yet but it's only been in the tank a week tomorrow. It has had a bit of melt on some leaves but seems to be recovering. I will look up the plants suggested and see if they look like it :) It's a nice plant certainly, I like the wavy leaves. They're like mini aponogeton ulvaceus leaves coming out of a stem.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments :)

Note, Claire, that tbere are several different Potamogeton species traded. I've seen quite alot, and the "wavy, tranparent leaves" (as you notice, a lot A. ulvaceus-like) are significant in lots of them. Very nice plants, quite easy to grow,but a little hard to come by (they tolerate transportation very bad)
If leaves look like that, it's certainly not Shinersia, by the way.
Mick.

Thanks folks, looks quite like potamogeton crispus :) Hoping that it takes off once settled in.

Back