• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Tale of Two Roma's

You don’t have issues with the bows torturing the shrimp?
I only have Amano in the tank that they are in but they don't seem to bother them.
I must admit i do get a bit twitchy when the Amano decide to do a bit of open water swimming, especially when the bows approach, but up till now I've never seen them go for the shrimps.

A Tale of Two Roma's.

The clues in the thread title. This is what I see without cropping photos.
20240324_171105.jpg

Journals should be warts an all. The tank to the left is bullet proof, the tank to the right is a PIA.

To the left.
20240324_171050.jpg

To the right.
20240324_171033.jpg

Cha cha slide...
Tissue culture Myriophyllum got uprooted on day 5, decided to let them float on the surface and got sucked into the Gyre. Here endeth the lesson with TC plants 😄

I've replaced the Guyana with Pogostemon heidelberg, i know nothing about this plant (there isn't a lot on line) but it's a rarity, so will likely die in my tank.

We mentioned flowers in previous posts, the echinodorus finally gave me some plantlets, 4 in total.
Stem un furled was around 1.5 mtrs.
20240316_120428.jpg

The babies.
20240316_120539.jpg

20240316_120451.jpg

I'm assuming more daylight coming into the tank has signalled a "let's reproduce" message to the flora.
Here we have Schismatoglottis prietoi getting in on the act.
20240316_115349.jpg

Fauna wise we added a pair of Dicrossus Maculatus to the left hand tank. They seem to have settled in and slowly venturing out from the undergrowth. Not the best pics, but Dicrossus aren't the easiest to photograph.

The lad.
20240324_135050(0).jpg

20240324_135003(0).jpg

The pair.
20240324_134945.jpg

Enjoy your evening guys.

Last edited:
I always enjoy these Sunday afternoon/evening updates
Thanks, appreciate that comment.
Why’s the tank on the right such a PIA compared to the one on the left, do you know?
The tank to the right is far less forgiving than the other one.
Maintenance, keeping the plants (not pants) happy can sometimes become somewhat of a chore. Any issues I have regards plant health always seems to materialise in this tank; and finally we have bba, it's a constant threat in this tank, always lurking, awaiting an opportunistic moment to attack.

By contrast the other tank just ticks along and does fine with a trim every few weeks, there is rarely any sulking, it asks for very little.

I guess the reason for the difference in pace in these tanks is totally of my own making. I chose to feed it with higher (although modest) levels of light and i chose to include faster growing stems. The phrase "Be careful what you wish for" springs to mind.

Back