• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A reflection - putting it all into one scape

@John q your comment about what’s repeatable got me thinking —- my water column and soil composition is correct. The reason I know is that there is zero indication for stunting/deformity and the dosing frequency (50ml for 50 gallons at water change and 10mL right at lights off (or 100% at water change and 10% daily) for macros and .015fe proxy of micros with lights on in concentrated csm b solution) is correct since tds is fixed at 108 pretty much always. That’s the hardest part: getting a long-term, sustainable (EI breaks earlier than lean but lean is more volatile to change).

The only hint of indicator that it is “off by a bit” is in Rotala green (partially why I bought 1 cup of wallichi to add with the Monte Carlo) is minor crinkles .. but the crinkles in the leaves aren’t “stunty”‘I think they are more related to the rate of off gas/accumulation from the earlier startup rather than GH/N/P/K/micro balance. Even though these are kind of the same, I’m not reacting to that with the Rotala green since the ones in front don’t show it just the ones in the back behind the Macrandra and rock (could just be squished). Not reacting to that one.

(structurally, I’d use more free soil on top of the bags in the future.)

All that’s left is temp/co2/light/flow. And I mean those are pretty easy after the massive learning curve.

Priortize “system health” over “anti-algae” and you have high light, higher temp, and co2 with lights (in soft water or a little ramp with harder water).

If you prioritize anti-algae you go low light, co2 ramp, and lower temp.

The sweet spot is system health combined with healthy plants as I think you can have healthy looking plants with poorer systemic health vs healthy looking plants and healthier systemic health.

I had said once that algae is a buffer … in the same way KH buffers against acid, algae buffers against “nasties” (I say nasties because plants “cleanse” the system of well we always say ammonia but I’m not convinced there’s not more than ammonia … so I call it nasties hahah). With low light and low temp, the algae can’t respond to pitfalls and inadequacies fast enough so they linger around in the water … with higher temp opportunities and higher light opportunities there is enough energy to clean the body of water and if your plant is missing something, then the Algae can make up for it quickly rather than waiting a week for you to see it (then you are a week with nasties and you’re shaving years off your fishies life). It’s rather simple - fix the problem and the plant takes foothold and the algae goes away. So you have 3 internodes of a stem plant of a problem? Or a single leaf of an epiphyte or rosette? Trim and move on 😂.

I mean that’s my thinking and so all my futzing around with light/co2 to find boundaries of system health compromised plant health (as we saw) … so now I’m bringing it back to “healthy-ish” (so visibly healthy plants but not necessarily as healthy as possible system) then I’ll test the last piece for system health (I am rather convinced 10h -12h photo is the way to go - I’ve done up to 20 in a healthy system with no I’ll effects (is why I did it at startup just to try it … it was fine but not worth it) - and I think 10h is the hands down best midpoint) which is the rubisco/co2 thing (letting pH rise during the last 4 hours of that 10h photo).

Edit … hmm … and as I write …. Wouldn’t it be perfect if the co2/rubisco thing works and we go to 12h photo and have 6h gas with low/descending pH and 6h gas off at high/ascending pH. All of this with temp flux up to maximum while ph is at minimum and then all the way back to minimum while pH is at maximum ….

Last edited:
A little consistency goes a long way …
1666020994637.jpeg

1666021037527.jpeg

Monte Carlo having a die … but hopefully will leave a root system not encased in jelly

1666021070343.jpeg

You don’t think the the freshness of the substrate and all that ammonia might be melting the Monte Carlo TC?
It totally contributed to them melting the first time.

I’m rather surprised it is happening at the same rate … twice.

We’re also 4 weeks or so in, so the concentration is much lower than day 1. Maybe nitrite just as bad - on plants? I know it destroys livestock the same or worse than ammonia.

+ it’s not a universal melt … I’m starting to really think this has to do with each individual plants ability to adapt (genetics and evolution … my comment that maybe HC wouldn’t be dieing as rapidly). But I think MC grows in shallow streams … should be pelted with light in nature.

That’s my thoughts — even if they melt the leaves, the roots should stay. And if the roots stay (not encased in jelly this time), hopefully fresh, adapted growth should make it?

Last edited:

We’re also 4 weeks or so in, so the concentration is much lower than day 1. Maybe nitrite just as bad - on plants? I know it destroys livestock the same or worse than ammonia.

+ it’s not a universal melt … I’m starting to really think this has to do with each individual plants ability to adapt (genetics and evolution … my comment that maybe HC wouldn’t be dieing as rapidly). But I think MC grows in shallow streams … should be pelted with light in nature.

That’s my thoughts — even if they melt the leaves, the roots should stay. And if the roots stay (not encased in jelly this time), hopefully fresh, adapted growth should make it?
MC is much hardier than HC, so I don’t think HC would be faring any better. Is your tank cycled yet?

MC is much hardier than HC, so I don’t think HC would be faring any better. Is your tank cycled yet?
This is the irony. HC is used to higher light environment (I think) and I wonder if MC is less used to it and it’s the intense environment that is contributing more to the melt vs the ammonia (in other words, I think HC could handle the light better - even if co2 is being delivered adequately for the MC - look at the Macrandra … hasn’t skipped a beat).

Definitely not cycled yet … cloudy and smelly.

Definitely not cycled yet … cloudy and smelly.
Considering all the diatoms I see on the substrate the tank is clearly not fully cycled yet. Also I went back to the early pages of your journal to double check the substrate and what you added in it. The amount of Miracle Grow you added is telling me that you will have urea and subsequent ammonia for a good amount of time considering it is slow release.
61398aa04db363a1cf3ae628f1700064.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg

Considering all the diatoms I see on the substrate the tank is clearly not fully cycled yet. Also I went back to the early pages of your journal to double check the substrate and what you added in it. The amount of Miracle Grow you added is telling me that you will have urea and subsequent ammonia for a good amount of time considering it is slow release.
View attachment 195906
I agree entirely. There is also surely less than there was day 1.

Why are the stems not melting? The rotundifolia and wallichi I added at the same time as the Monte Carlo.

I had said once that algae is a buffer … in the same way KH buffers against acid, algae buffers against “nasties” (I say nasties because plants “cleanse” the system of well we always say ammonia but I’m not convinced there’s not more than ammonia … so I call it nasties hahah). With low light and low temp, the algae can’t respond to pitfalls and inadequacies fast enough so they linger around in the water … with higher temp opportunities and higher light opportunities there is enough energy to clean the body of water and if your plant is missing something, then the Algae can make up for it quickly rather than waiting a week for you to see it (then you are a week with nasties and you’re shaving years off your fishies life). It’s rather simple - fix the problem and the plant takes foothold and the algae goes away. So you have 3 internodes of a stem plant of a problem? Or a single leaf of an epiphyte or rosette? Trim and move on 😂.

I'm not sure algae is a buffer as such, more an opportunist that thrives on system instability. I agree to an extent that if you run a tank a knife edge with very high light you'll see changes much more quickly (though I don't necessary agree that a change like an algal bloom will reverse any quicker, it'll just appear quicker) but I'd call that a negative of running high light, not a positive - with lower light the system is more robust against deficiencies or issues giving the aquarist a greater time buffer to react and make changes before catastrophic issues can get a foot hold. A plant deficiency, or the appearance of new algae can be spotted and dealt with when it first appears before it ever gets to 'problem' levels.

then you are a week with nasties and you’re shaving years off your fishies life

What 'nasties' are you referring to there Josh? I can't think of no nasties that might be harmful to fish health that algae my be able to address (perhaps beyond excess ammonia)?

I glad to see your are keeping up with this journal, it really is interesting to see the journey.

I see you're only just now going through the diatom phase following the bacterial bloom. I wonder if my previous joke may have in fact been correct:

You've created an environment where even algae and diatoms can't survive? 😂 (joking!)

It seems as if the extreme high CO2 levels at the tank start up may have had an adverse effect on the bacterial population in your aged soil. When I have previously used existing soil, I've always managed to dodge many of the New Tank Syndrome (NTS) issues, particularly the diatom stage. However when using a fresh substrate, those diatoms are very hard to avoid.

I suspect the high CO2 levels (or resulting very low pH) could well have diminished the bacterial assemblage in the soil to the extent it was almost a full reset. Hence why you've experienced a bacterial bloom shortly after reducing the CO2 levels, and are now going through the mill with the typical NTS symptoms of diatoms and carpet plant melt. It is a shame to an extent, as your aged soils should have protected you from most start-up issues.

It's been really interesting to see the effects of excessive CO2 dosing to be honest. Up until seeing this, the conventional wisdom has been that in the absence of livestock, there is no upper ceiling for CO2 dosing - "run your drop checker yellow". You've shown here that there is a negative impact from running it too high, both on plant growth and biological system health - so setting a reasonable and stable level from day 1 is even more crucial.

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that we'll start to see an explosion of green algae as it muscles out the diatoms in the next few weeks, so it will be interesting to see things continue to develop. Hopefully now the CO2 is running at a more consistent levels (where are we - three weeks since you fixed the CO2?), the plant growth will start to kick in a bit so you can increase the plant mass and help combat any algae that appears.

Why are the stems not melting? The rotundifolia and wallichi I added at the same time as the Monte Carlo.
I would venture to say some plants are simply more resistant than others to different concentration of ammonia. Not all plants were created equal.

Hi all,
The amount of Miracle Grow you added is telling me that you will have urea and subsequent ammonia for a good amount of time considering it is slow release.
Hi all,
I'm going to say "too many", but we will see what happens.
Same for me, unfortunately there is no real way of knowing just how long.
I would venture to say some plants are simply more resistant than others to different concentration of ammonia.
I think @Hanuman is right, we are back to <"orchids and tomatoes">. Plants are going to have different tolerances to ammonia etc.

I'm guessing that plants from seasonally innundated zones (like Rotala rotundifolia) are more likely to have <"ammonia tolerance"> than forest plants like Anubias, Bolbitis etc.

A real <"turned up to eleven"> plant, with access to atmospheric CO2, will be able to deal <"with all the ammonia you could throw at it">.

cheers Darrel

I'm not sure algae is a buffer as such, more an opportunist that thrives on system instability. I agree to an extent that if you run a tank a knife edge with very high light you'll see changes much more quickly (though I don't necessary agree that a change like an algal bloom will reverse any quicker, it'll just appear quicker) but I'd call that a negative of running high light, not a positive - with lower light the system is more robust against deficiencies or issues giving the aquarist a greater time buffer to react and make changes before catastrophic issues can get a foot hold. A plant deficiency, or the appearance of new algae can be spotted and dealt with when it first appears before it ever gets to 'problem' levels.

What 'nasties' are you referring to there Josh? I can't think of no nasties that might be harmful to fish health that algae my be able to address (perhaps beyond excess ammonia)?
I think these two statements are linked. I have no idea if there is anything beyond ammonia - even if free ammonia can be locked up faster, its probably better (unless the rate of ammonia creation is because of the high light causing decay which I’m not sure about). I’ll have to think a bit longer about whether it’s optimal or not - definitely thinking as I don’t have a clear comment off hand.
I glad to see your are keeping up with this journal, it really is interesting to see the journey.

I see you're only just now going through the diatom phase following the bacterial bloom. I wonder if my previous joke may have in fact been correct:
Haha! I think the pH for sure inhibited bacteria (so anything non plantey … diatoms) … but why did the plants grow?
It seems as if the extreme high CO2 levels at the tank start up may have had an adverse effect on the bacterial population in your aged soil. When I have previously used existing soil, I've always managed to dodge many of the New Tank Syndrome (NTS) issues, particularly the diatom stage. However when using a fresh substrate, those diatoms are very hard to avoid.
Maybe it put them dormant? Or killed them. More N and P 😂.
I suspect the high CO2 levels (or resulting very low pH) could well have diminished the bacterial assemblage in the soil to the extent it was almost a full reset. Hence why you've experienced a bacterial bloom shortly after reducing the CO2 levels, and are now going through the mill with the typical NTS symptoms of diatoms and carpet plant melt. It is a shame to an extent, as your aged soils should have protected you from most start-up issues.

It's been really interesting to see the effects of excessive CO2 dosing to be honest. Up until seeing this, the conventional wisdom has been that in the absence of livestock, there is no upper ceiling for CO2 dosing - "run your drop checker yellow". You've shown here that there is a negative impact from running it too high, both on plant growth and biological system health - so setting a reasonable and stable level from day 1 is even more crucial.
I’m glad you lay it out like this - it is neat to see. And to be honest, it’s neat to read what you see (I have bias whether I like it or not).
If I was a betting man, I'd wager that we'll start to see an explosion of green algae as it muscles out the diatoms in the next few weeks, so it will be interesting to see things continue to develop. Hopefully now the CO2 is running at a more consistent levels (where are we - three weeks since you fixed the CO2?), the plant growth will start to kick in a bit so you can increase the plant mass and help combat any algae that appears.
I think less - the co2 has been stable and “proper” since the day @Libba made fun of me 😂 … that’s my landmark 🤣🤣. So 7- 8 days.

I would venture to say some plants are simply more resistant than others to different concentration of ammonia. Not all plants were created equal.
I mentioned this above. But why is it just ammoniacal adaption? My light is intense. Isn’t the adaption for all aspects of the environment? Light “coping”, ammoniacal stress, nitrogen response to growth rate (N levels can have some tips stunt while other
Species not stunt in the same tank …), response to KH (crypt vs Macrandra).

Last edited:
Hi all,

Same for me, unfortunately there is no real way of knowing just how long.
Follow the journal! :).
I think @Hanuman is right, we are back to <"orchids and tomatoes">. Plants are going to have different tolerances to ammonia etc.
This is what I said … but I went the other way with HC being potentially able to use the light better than MC - then the co2 for energy … then deal with the ammonia … maybe use it to grow.
I'm guessing that plants from seasonally innundated zones (like Rotala rotundifolia) are more likely to have <"ammonia tolerance"> than forest plants like Anubias, Bolbitis etc.
It has to be linked to their ability to use light.
A real <"turned up to eleven"> plant, with access to atmospheric CO2, will be able to deal <"with all the ammonia you could throw at it">.

cheers Darrel
At startup, I gave loads of co2 with proper flow/distribution.

Note: what do you guys think - If I had low light, I’d bet the whole thing would be an ammonia soup and filled with death. But the light gives the plants who have higher metabolism the ability to use the ammonia at such high levels to grow.

Note: what do you guys think - If I had low light, I’d bet the whole thing would be an ammonia soup and filled with death. But the light gives the plants who have higher metabolism the ability to use the ammonia at such high levels to grow.

I don't think the light levels would have made any difference to overall ammonia levels in the water column, your plant mass is simply no where near high enough for that to happen, and for the small amount of plant growth to make any real difference on levels. What helped were your high percentage (twice daily?) levels of water changes.

On a mature tank this might be valid - you have sudden excess ammonia, you crank the lights, and the stems increase their growth rate and suck up the ammonia, and you have to trim and dump a few extra litres of plant mass each week, but in your tank I don't think you've hit the first trim point yet have you?

At startup, I gave loads of co2 with proper flow/distribution.

You did, but that's still not at the levels that floating plants (that I think Darrel was referring to) have access to, and are adapted to use, which is in excess of 400ppm. Floating plants, probably because of this adaptation, have the ability to suck up nitrogen like a sponge.

In my previous higher light tanks that have had a good layer of floating plants, I have had to dose 1.5 times EI levels of KNO3, and even then longer run equilibrium levels of NO3 still ran below 10ppm simply because the floating plants were sucking it up at such a rate, and generating so much additional mass that I was throwing away a 2 litre jug full of them every week.

I don’t think this is what we wanted to see …

Nitrite:

View attachment 195927

Ammonia:
View attachment 195928

Phosphate:
View attachment 195929

Interesting - so you're seeing Nitrite levels in tank then? You used a mature filter though didn't you? That would seem to confirm your tank is cycling afresh, and there has been a mass die off of the existing biological assemblage.

So what's going on with the Phosphate? If we assume the test kit is accurate enough for a rough estimate, this looks close to zero, but aren't you still dosing 1ppm per week? I'd be surprised if there is enough plant mass to soak that up yet - so you may need to revisit your dosing calcs?

Back