• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Mud castles!

:lol: I don't know how you had the enthusiasm to rescape yours 3 times Tom, with the amount of mess these make :(

The lights look great, have you tried hanging it from anything to get an idea of the coverage of the bulbs? Think I may have to give it a go myself with the gu10's lol

Not yet mate but will balance it out on 4 dining chairs this evening to see what the overall spread is like

As for hanging I'll post them fixings tomorrow mate.. Like the new plant lodge lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, ill give them a go once the builders have knocked away the ceiling and re plastered it lol...

Here you go Danny, it's about 100cm off the floor, pitch black room and only just switched on. The low energy bulbs take about 3 or 4 minutes to reach full brightness and this was when just switched on so I think there pretty good. Enough spread and a nice colour too :)

8383555793_66e8f73d55_b.jpg

Poor lass, hope your not going to make her stand there permanently!......
Mind you, judging by the last tank, there could definitely be far worse things to have to do with your time :)

Mind you, judging by the last tank, there could definitely be far worse things to have to do with your time :)

Haha he had her counting and documenting all the fauna in his puddle over the weekend she does a good job lol.

That is one serious light unit, looking to see how you going to finish it off, why not go LED on the GU10, purchased some for my kitchen the other day and they are just awesome and strong! Purchased the 6W version, at the time they didn't have the 8W 5x GU10 20/38/60 LED 4W/6W High Power Bulbs Lamp Light | eBay

Haha he had her counting and documenting all the fauna in his puddle over the weekend she does a good job lol.

Ha ha she chose to count them all not me lol. Agreed she did a good job though mate.

Great so far,looking forward to more updates!

Thanks andy ;) will try an update as I progress

That is brilliant mate!! Soooooooo tempted to do one myself..........

Well worth it mate, well....I hope so anyway :lol:

That is looking good mate shame to see the puddle gone but I'm sure this will be another epic scape mate

Cheers tim, it was a shame taking down the other tank, I was kind of regretting it but I'm sure the choccos etc will appreciate the wait. Still struggling on a layout for this new one but kind I have an idea

Ha ha ha no....she stood as still as she could though as it was only balanced on a piece of 18mn wood and was terrified to let go. Bless. She's very into this new tank though. Wants to help out as much as possible.

Lol. nice to see the daughter being put to work...

It is looking good, I am impressed. Are they going to have heat sinks of some kind behind them?

Lol it didn't come with out a price though sanj, she was mithering for sweets after.

I'm pretty chuffed with the light unit so far, it should give a really nice spread and a nice warm glow to the tank.
I'm not planning on putting any heat sinks behind them, they don't give off huge amounts of heat plus the unit will be left open top so plenty of ventilation. Should be ok shouldn't it??

That is one serious light unit, looking to see how you going to finish it off, why not go LED on the GU10, purchased some for my kitchen the other day and they are just awesome and strong! Purchased the 6W version, at the time they didn't have the 8W 5x GU10 20/38/60 LED 4W/6W High Power Bulbs Lamp Light | eBay

Thanks Paulo, I think it will look even better when suspended from the ceiling.
Just got to add the frame for the sides and will give them the same finish as the cabinet so it doesn't look odd.
A few people have mentioned to try LEDs in it, so will get a few to put in to mix up the colour a little and give the rippled effect under water but I got 25 11watt gu10 bulbs for 27 quid so couldn't grumble.....

Built up the frame last night.....excuse the mess
y7yjy6y9.jpg

Only to realise that as the shop didnt have the 3x3 timber, they'd done it in 2x2 so the frame was too small for the panels etc so have to pull it down and go back for 3x3
Hopefully the cabinet will be built over the weekend.

Hi,

I am not an expert on building frames, your looks very neat. I was just wondering though, is that the orientation it would be lying in? I am just looking at the top three horizontal panels. They are attached to the frame on their ends and not sitting over the vertical panels coming up from the floor. Thinking on the lines of weight bearing, will this be ok?

Hi,

I am not an expert on building frames, your looks very neat. I was just wondering though, is that the orientation it would be lying in? I am just looking at the top three horizontal panels. They are attached to the frame on their ends and not sitting over the vertical panels coming up from the floor. Thinking on the lines of weight bearing, will this be ok?

Hi sanj

I helped design the cupboard and it would be better with half lap or mortice joints but was designed in such a way that a novice could put it together, as Al has little carpentry experience. Each corner will be supporting so will be ok

Hi,

Hi sanj,
Yes I had thought of that, I'll attach a pic of the initial drawings to show the sides with panels, as these will also be taking some of the weight of the tank not just the frame, but where you see the smaller piece of timber in the centre coming up from the horizontal piece on the bottom, this should add much more stability if I were to also add a piece on either side of the frame if you get me

u8ery5a2.jpg

@gill, thanks mate. Always appreciate your comments on them too. Hope your well mate as not seen you on for a bit

Ah yes, I overlooked that middle piece.

Are you putting on plywood cladding? I can see some cut boards in the background. They look like they have been stained with some sort of varnish or maybe that is the lighting. Is it going to be painted or remain the wood colour?

Yes mate it's having the 18mm sheets you've spotted at the back, there's actually no stain on them at the moment but they do have some colour to them, I'm just going to use a single coat of varnish to darken it just a little but that's it. I don't want to paint them as would still like to see that grain effect ;)

Just a little update on how bad the 2nd new cabinet build has gone, fixed all the frame together and found that the 75mmx75mm is actually 70x70 so bloody panels are too big so couldn't get any further than this as yet and feeling little deflated from it at the moment!!
age4egyt.jpg

Gives an idea of how big the tank will be anyway

Back