• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

80x35x45 back to the begining stages!

Re: 80x35x45 Opti White - Tank arrived.. glassware issues..

Dragon stone has arrived, so will clean it up and do some mock scapes for you all to comment on this weekend :)

ta!

Quick as you can please Mike, we're all waiting ... :lol:

Aqua sobriquet said:
Quick as you can please Mike, we're all waiting ... :lol:

Ill try and do a review of the tank build as well!

Re: 80x35x45 Opti White - The Planning Stage

Westyggx said:
KrisHumphreys1991 said:
I want to use Dragon Stone for the hardscape and the substrate i will be using is Florabase, i plan on banking up on back left and back right (anyone have any tips on how to acheive the height without it falling?).

There was a post on here not so long ago in which a guy used nets full of the brown/red, dry, light, bally things that you see in plant pots in shopping centres and airports etc. to keep parts of his hardscape up. And it seemed to work brilliantly, cheaper than buying more substrate!
He also mentioned that the inside of them is porous - therefore it would give him more filtration capacity.

Hope this helps :)

Kris

Thanks Kris, i am planning to use my existing Akadama and use some tights to make them into balls of clay so to speak so that will pack the substrate up alot. I do have a lot of flora base though so i will not run out of substrate.

Not sure whether to go for the same style as the images in page 1 as my tank is much larger so not sure it will suit the island look.

Ta

I used "leca" to do my tank with a lot of height in the back ;) :
index.php

To save a bit substrate I took 2 pair of nylon stockings and filled with half a bag of Leca - I don't know what they are called outside Denmark...

They look like this and are usually used in gardens or indoor planting:
thumb.php

- viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15690

looks like pumice to me. Guys ? Anyone else know what it could be ?

easerthegeezer said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clay-Pebbles-50L-bag-use-in-hydroponics-grow-hydro-system-BLACK-BAG-/251040271106?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3a732a8b02

just hydroponic balls i think. Put them in a bucket first as about 20% float.

Looks just like the stuff we were sold to put under our orchids. If they are clay, I bet they have a good CEC too. Very useful stuff, and thanks for that link Mike. :thumbup:

80x35x45 Opti White - Tank arrived.. glassware issues..

Thanks for the tips guys, just in the process of doing a mock hard scape. Ideas please!

52046e71-4704-1a0c.jpg

52046e71-4712-6a23.jpg

Sorry about the angle, doesn't show much depth, more images to come but would apreciate comments and thoughts on rock placement etc.

Alastair said:
Aqua sobriquet said:
Of these three pics I prefer the middle one.
I said exactly the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COPYCAT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Which make me one too as thats the one I like ;)

I'm glad we all agree, shows what good taste we have ... :lol:

Thanks guys, the perspective doesnt look good in the photos as i will be building the back of the tank up with more susbstrate to give it height at the back.

my plan is HC all over, with Straugene Repens close to the stone. Thoughts?

thats beautiful stone,cant wait to see it in water when the colours really come out,great tank too,i dont think the missus would put up with another one,all the best ,skankypup.

Westyggx said:
Thanks guys, the perspective doesnt look good in the photos as i will be building the back of the tank up with more susbstrate to give it height at the back.

my plan is HC all over, with Straugene Repens close to the stone. Thoughts?

Personal preference for me would see a third plant variety in there, maybe something like Pogostemon Erectus ? or even Long hairgrass

80x35x45 Opti White - Hardscape time

Forgot how much of an effort setting a new tank up is took me from 6 till 11:30 to sort my old tank out and set up my new one!

Plants to be ordered this week are, hair grass, repens, and either glosso or hc but since I have filled the tank already and added fish hc might be a problem planting. Would anyone agree?

Angle of the photos again doesnt show the depth but its considerably deeper at the back and middle.

b022bf2e-f399-bcdb.jpg

4d497ab6-f3c3-49aa.jpg

4d497ab6-f3ce-1e1e.jpg

4d497ab6-f3db-241f.jpg

This is a quick snap from this morning, still some clouding.

4d497ab6-f3ed-a0c9.jpg

4d497ab6-f3fa-3600.jpg

80x35x45 Opti White - Time for planting

New diffuser and piping from tank scape arrived as well as my plants. Decided to plant yesterday and set up all the co2 and light settings.

52046e71-dbbb-480e.jpg

52046e71-dbc9-0226.jpg

52046e71-dbd6-875e.jpg

Plan on getting a background when I get paid so you can't see the hideous curtains haha.

52046e71-dc59-2776.jpg

Now it's just a waiting game and keep algae at bay. I'm dosing 5ml of easy carb daily and 10ml of algexit a week plus 40 ml of ferts per day.

Back