• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

70 Gal Manzigumi take 2

plantbrain

Expert
Well, needed to move a tank out of the baby's room and that meant breaking down a reef. The Manzigumi was redone to another location in the house and I used all the same stuff from the 1st attempt. Well, 3 new pieces of wood, but most of the hardscape materials are the same.

I also added about 5 Gal worth of Lava rock in mesh bag, I could see any good reason to have to use more new ADA AS, this saved me a couple of bags for basically 1-2$. The central core is the lava rock. I only used 60% of the ADA As from the old manzigumi display, so it was quite a savings. It was dead space.

The tank will have E belem hairgrass only. Maybe some moss/Mini pellia etc or a few Buce's in the darker shadows

I'm going to get it planted later this week, I got the filters running and water in it tonight. I am going to run it cooler, around 76 or so. I think I'll add a lot of high grade CRS SSS shrimp and go with a South East Asia theme.

This will be a relatively easy tank to maintain and keep. The slope is very steep, but the light is fairly even along the sloping. There are 4 viewing sides, so while this might seem like challenge, I've done a lot of tanks with this placement and I strongly prefer this positioning.
The dining table is this view:
387aba0a.jpg

The main view folks look for the FTS is this:
c78dde31.jpg

Top and diagonal view folks see walking towards it:
8f2493b3.jpg

I might add Botia sidthimunki again, I had few issues with them as long as they were fed.
There are many ample dark caves and hiding spots for any cryptic species.

I have a fair amount of Hair grass coming this week, so it 'll be good to really crank the CO2 and good light and water changes for the next few weeks(8 weeks typically, 3x a week water change, 60-80%). This hard scape is much better than the old one, more access and a steeper slope, and of course, more viewing sides/angles etc.

malawistu said:
look really good take it all went well when you filled it with water ie no land slide :thumbup: looking forward to seeing it planted have you any pictures filled :)

I shored up the slope very well, ADA AS also sticks together if you lightly pack it since it's mostly clay.
There's 2-3x as much wood doing this as you see in the pics.

Steven Chong said:
wow, looks like quite the impressive hardscape Tom! :O
I did not think or spend much time on it which is the way I've been doing things lately.

More worried about wood moving, or making sure the slope and plant placement will be fine and enough light, easy to trim without knocking something over etc.

I'll get some pics after the water clears, this is just a teaser.

Hi Tom,
looks like a good start.
Can i just ask a newbie question.... what are the hang over the side units your using pre filter inlet pipe?
Its something i notice you use on your 120g tank too and its one of those things ive always wanted to know.
Thanks,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Hi Tom,
looks like a good start.
Can i just ask a newbie question.... what are the hang over the side units your using pre filter inlet pipe?
Its something i notice you use on your 120g tank too and its one of those things ive always wanted to know.
Thanks,
Ady.

CPR prefilter and then a Return black pipe.

I was going to use loc Line and I might still.

The other larger tanks use Clear PVC for the returns.

easerthegeezer said:
CPR prefilter??
Just what i thought so googled it. Think CPR is the brand and its just as it says.. a pre filter (200 micron).... think a lot of reefers use them pre sump.

Pre filters keep the scum off the surface and out of the depths of the tank, less distraction and no cleaning like Lily pipes, not fragile etc.

George Farmer said:
That's the most naturalistic hardscape layout I think I've seen you do. Very nice.

Looking forward to seeing it planted. :)

Figures, I spent all of 10 minutes or less putting in. :crazy: Less is more?

I'll post some with water pics tomorrow, then by Sat or so, with hair grass planted.
That should give a better feel for the completed look's direction.

Of all the scapes done by Amano, the monoculture with rock impressed me the most. Few folks bother to buy the burl fragments though. So it's a mix of promotion of the what I have laying around.......and a scape idea. It might be more reef based in hardscape, I had a reef here prior. Not enough time, hence the low maintenance belem grass and FW.

I have 30 SSS CRS's (traded for wood) so I'm pondering the fish, but the smaller Boras might fit well, I love the Botia sidthimunkii though. Just always wondered if they ate any of the old CRS's I had in the past tank, I started with 12 and ended with about 50CRS at the end after about 6 months and the temp was around 26C.

With water this time, tank seems to be cycling, got some grass, but did not look like belem, so I was too chicken to mess with it.

I have some from a local coming in a day or two instead.

9568a129.jpg

f56d195a.jpg

d7e46657.jpg

I have a couple of smaller frags I'll add after planting to keep the soil in place in 2-3 spots, but you cannot see all the structure under the soil from these pics.

Belem HG is in, I had two folks send me some, but he local guy was much nicer stuff and I managed to thin it out t make it spread.

Doing 8 light period, but 2 hour ramp up and ramp down to 50% for the 4 hour midday blast.

Will add shrimp in a week, then add SSS grade CRS's after that, maybe 3-4 weeks in.

Then the attacks on the folks who make those whack claims about higher grades being all that much more touchy than s and SS grades which I had before.

Loving the rock layout, cannot wait to see this one when its planted.

Also, excuse my ignorance but what does Manzigumi mean?

taggerz28 said:
Loving the rock layout, cannot wait to see this one when its planted.

Also, excuse my ignorance but what does Manzigumi mean?

It is not rock, it is wood. Manzanita, manzy for short.

3f44c906.jpg

b248b311.jpg

66417a1c.jpg

With hair grass, this grass came out of a small mini L ADA tank local club member's, and ended up filling out fairly well this tank's scape, I'd prefer about 3x this density though, but good clean healthy grass is well worth it.

Back