• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P Nature Scape

Lovely pics and vidéo :)

I love ember tetras too but they are always quite shy in my nano tanks..in my 45liters iwagumi I was using kubotai as dither fishes and un my 60F they stay undercover until late in the afternoon when it´s lunch Time.

I think they feel more secure in bugger tank like yours, can't wait to buy an 60P :)

Lovely pics and vidéo :)

I love ember tetras too but they are always quite shy in my nano tanks..in my 45liters iwagumi I was using kubotai as dither fishes and un my 60F they stay undercover until late in the afternoon when it´s lunch Time.

I think they feel more secure in bugger tank like yours, can't wait to buy an 60P :)

Interesting! The Embers in my tank can not be spooked, I can be waving my hands in front of the tank (this makes my boraras in my 12g scatter and hide) and poking around inside the tank and they dont hide at all. Guess the extra space and dense planting makes them feel at home

Quick snap without the black background, need to try clean the sand this weekend :p

34642342034_dd2185d131_c.jpg
IMG_9645
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Cleaned up the sand and added more rocks down on the right side to try stop the soil from spilling, my stems are growing towards my 45p tank which has the light on most of the day dry starting...

35497235862_cf8cedfe4d_c.jpg
IMG_9648
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Looking really great! I kind of wish I had scaped my tank that way now, unfortunately can't change it as the wood is zip-tied to egg crate underneath. Where did you get the mini Bolbitis from?

Looking really great! I kind of wish I had scaped my tank that way now, unfortunately can't change it as the wood is zip-tied to egg crate underneath. Where did you get the mini Bolbitis from?

Thanks, my driftwood is just sitting ontop of the soil / rocks, it moves but is stable enough to not fall if bumped etc but can be removed if needed. The Mini Bolbitis was sourced locally here in Australia from a supplier but I think its dead, has not really grown since I got it and is a very dark green perhaps brown / black

Last edited:

That similar but not exactly the same, different sponge / canister configuration and seems to be only rated for 150lph, my filters are called ISTA max care canister filter (360lph) If you are in Europe I have seen a white version - http://dennerle.com/en/products/aquaristic/aquascaping/filtration/scapers-flow

This looks exactly the same as mine but white and some fancy lilly pipes. We cant get Dennerle stuff in Australia.

In short they work well but do get clogged fairly quickly as they have a fine sponge with carbon stock, sometimes I remove the fine pad with carbon all together this helps flow. They are super easy to clean tho being so small I just lift the whole unit (pipes and all) away and give it a clean once a month or so.

Took a bunch of macro photos... only 2 made the cut, would be great if fish just stayed still for the camera :p The two photos really show the colour difference between some of the fish, I think one is male (smaller, more colour) and the other female.

35765665470_7eb6b52cf9_c.jpg
IMG_0032
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

35765670360_4db82cfbe7_c.jpg
IMG_0003
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Great pics!

I'm considering the filter, how strong is flow? Ill be getting a skimmer too so not too much of a problem.

Quick pros and cons about the filter would be a great help :)

Thanks!
RA

Thanks, the Dennerle version of this compact canister filter would be a better choice than the 150lph filter you linked to.

Pros- cheap, small, pretty quiet, tho I have had one start a bit noisey but quieted down over time, easy to clean.
Cons - small, not the most flow (tho ok for 2ft), need to keep the filter next to the tank, with head height flow would be reduced, carbon filter pad clogs quickly.

For the money (filters cost me about $60 AUD) they are good, not sure what the Dennerle verison cost tho? Are you in Europe? I have also seen a rebadged Fluval version for the American market

Got tired of trying to keep the aquasoil of the sand so I added a few pebbles and some leafs and small cones, I like the natural look, pre-boiled all the leafs and cones so hopefully they dont tint the water to much, tho I dont really mind if they do. Managed to knock the light off the tank while preparing to take this photo, it took a spill and pulled the driftwood over... tho everything seems ok, this is about the 3rd time ive knocked over one of these A-Series lights, they seem sturdy enough to be able to take a few knocks.

35681633594_c2b29efcc2_c.jpg
IMG_0073_Crop
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

36516386305_7b5e0fc2fc_c.jpg
IMG_0073 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Got tired of trying to keep the aquasoil of the sand so I added a few pebbles...

I had to laugh at this as I'm dealing with the same thing right now. My first scape with sand and I've quickly realized that cories, especially Panda cories, like to rearrange the aqua soil onto the sand when I'm not looking. I like how you addressed this issue...fits your scape well. ;)

I had to laugh at this as I'm dealing with the same thing right now. My first scape with sand and I've quickly realized that cories, especially Panda cories, like to rearrange the aqua soil onto the sand when I'm not looking. I like how you addressed this issue...fits your scape well. ;)

Thanks, if i was to do another scape like this I would put the soil in some kind of container to keep it from spilling, really the only plants that need the soil are the stems at the back, there is alot of excess soil in this tank that is not needed.

Hi again Doyle,

What a lovely escape you got there. I love the way you set the wood and the plants choice.
Also those tiny rocks are a beautiful detail.

And you didn´t done something in this kind of layout that most do.. the use of Tripartida. So congratulations for what you achieved.

Big hug

Hi again Doyle,

What a lovely escape you got there. I love the way you set the wood and the plants choice.
Also those tiny rocks are a beautiful detail.

And you didn´t done something in this kind of layout that most do.. the use of Tripartida. So congratulations for what you achieved.

Big hug

Thanks for the kind words!

Since my SAE jumped the Ember Tetra's have been a bit shy and hiding often, plan was to add 12 pigmy cory's but they are bit to expensive at this stage, so today I add 8 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, nice looking fish that dont cost to much. So far so good everyone seems more active. Also added 3 more oto's yesterday for a total of 5, tho today I can only see 4, seems like I loose one every time I buy oto's

36633186913_ff314c9b27_c.jpg
IMG_0603
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Here is a quick video I shot tonight, its the last 10 minutes of my light cycled sped up to play over 1 minute, the light would be fading from about 20% or so to 0% via a TC420

Back