• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60g High tech- first planted tank

Yea I'm going to do two 50% water changes and lower the light intensity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if that doesn't work I'll buy a uv sterilizer

You can try 3 days blackout. Make water change, switch off CO2 and don't add ferts, add 24/7 aeration. And make sure no light will come to tank for 3 days.

Will the plants be fine for three days? Or will they start to melt?????

Just did a 80% water change, still pretty. Green! I'm tr I got the lights out for the three days with back covering on all sides and a airstone on 24/7. As for the fish, they all seem to be doing great except for one! The runny nose tetra has a white chunk of something on the top of its nose and I tried to ketch it, but all of a sudden it disappeared and I can't find the fish anywhere. Going to just wait until I see it again so I can get it in quarantine.

Any recommendations on a good uv sterilizer that won't just shatter my pocket? $100 ish would be fine.

Okie here is the pictures after the water change and what not. To my surprise, after the 24hour black and and then turning the lights on for 6 hours, the green water in the morning went from being what it looked like in the video which I took this morning, to about 1/3 green water before I did the water change! Not really sure why it would do that but it did none the less! I also raised the lighting so that it is 7" above the water, instead of lowering the intensity. Here is pics of the tank after the 90% water change.

56500cdd3c82be71648c9a88dd4f022a.jpg
c4dd7383550cd68a2d333d83104be4ce.jpg

Hey man, that's a brilliant improvement! Been reading your threads about your custom build tank etc I am now following your footsteps and looking up how to custom build and find cheap glass etc. Really impressive work as that tank looks stunning. Sorry about the green algae, but looks like it's much improved.

My light period is 8 hours. I wood yen off the middle kessil, but without it on their is a good amount of dark spot from the stump cutting light from both sides, which is why I moved the lights of 7". I'm not going to worry about furthers doing the black out as te uv sterilizer comes in tomorrow.

Hi all,
Fish are doing ok, should I just do two 50% water changes back to back or what?????
Water changes should help. It just indicates that you have fairly high nutrient levels in the water column.

If you kill them off with UV you are likely to get a "filamentous green" bloom. You get this a lot in Koi ponds etc with UV.

Personally I'd look on it as an opportunity rather than a set-back, don't throw the water change water away. If you add some Daphnia, they will convert all the green water algae (probably Chlorella) into free fish food.

Another option would be to buy some Killifish or Pseudomugil eggs via Ebay.

You can start them in the "green water", and then squeeze a filter sponge into another container of green water. This will seed the green water with rotifers, and they will eat the "green water" algae.

Rotifers are great fry food. Once the fry are a bit bigger it should be plain sailing using powered flake to feed them.

cheers Darrel

so daphnia will consume most of the green water as food and then obviosly they will get eaten by the fish? How many would you recommend me getting? My local fish store has them in stock all the time, and they are quit cool to watch.

Thanks. Ill try and get some this week or next week!!! The uv sterilizer comes in tomorrow! Pretty stoked on that :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to control and pretty much get rid of all the green water with two water changes and one day black out. Tank was looking like it was going to do it again but yesterday morning it just completely cleared up
1027963ab4464b124da621c8818f9791.jpg

Alright so it's been a very very very long time since I updated my planted tank on this forum so I thought I should!! I'm going to say it's been a good month and a half!
Let me know what you guys think, good or bad all of them will help me =]
5fd8a955076a57eef44be32407161227.jpg
3ca2ccdb0ca19a86a4d1566a18f9df37.jpg
69dd57637cb68fa354508cddedcd0efd.jpg
0e30d2e547526ebbad2c9b6a57292d0f.jpg

So just so you know some of the pics are of the tank without a trimming and the others are with a trimming. Both being the same day though =]. I have decided to just wing it and go with crs and some type of blue neo shrimp like blue dream or fantasy blue. Still trying to find a seller that has a good price though(I live in the U.S.) =]

Back