• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

450L Vision adventure

Yeah the moss hasn't done much of anything yet but in my tank nothing happens quickly. I am just attempting to keep it clean at the moment.

Got bigger worries at the moment one of my baby L134's has a bump on his nose that looks like an infection. I am still weighing up what to do at the moment if I try and remove it to treat it I will probably have to take the whole tank apart, but I don't really want to dose the main tank at the moment. It didn't look any worse this morning so I might just monitor for a couple of days and see what happens. The disappointing thing is this weekend I located two L200's and was considering buying one. Going to have to wait and see what happens to this little fella first.

Hope your tank is going well.

Thats really bad news mate... i quite often wish that i had a spare tank for situations like this.
what are the common names of the L134 and L200's

My tank like yours is ticking over slowly, I have had a really big clear out and i think it looks better for it. Will try to get some pics up soon ... haha but when there is so little change it seems like a waste of time :)

I do have some Apongeton on order with AE so I will have to take some pics when they arrive as they will help to fill out the back section.

L134's are generally known as Leopard Frog plecs. L200's are Known as Green Phantoms. There are two types of fish under the Green Phantom name one is Hemiancistrus Subviridis which is the one I found recently (I used to have a lovely example but lost it when I set up the 450l, and the wife would love another one) and the other one is Baryancistrus Demantoides. They have the same green colouring with yellow spots but physically look different especially around the head. I think as they had similar colouring and markings importers gave them the same L number. :geek: alert :lol:

somethingfishy said:
but when there is so little change it seems like a waste of time :)
Never a waste of time mate, even if nothing changes it gives you reference for the future so you can see exactly what your tank was looking like on a given date. Then if anything improved or heaven forbid declined, you would maybe able to pinpoint it to change in ferts, light, water etc. Plus we all like photos :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

awtong said:
one of my baby L134's has a bump on his nose that looks like an infection.
Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully hes fit and strong and will fight it off himself!
awtong said:
L134's are generally known as Leopard Frog plecs.
Think i may have seen these in one of my lfs last weekend. Are they a brown background colouration with gold/yellow stripes with pointed ends to the caudal fin? If its these then they are very nice looking.
Ady.

Ady34 said:
awtong said:
one of my baby L134's has a bump on his nose that looks like an infection.
Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully hes fit and strong and will fight it off himself!
awtong said:
L134's are generally known as Leopard Frog plecs.
Think i may have seen these in one of my lfs last weekend. Are they a brown background colouration with gold/yellow stripes with pointed ends to the caudal fin? If its these then they are very nice looking.
Ady.

Yeah I am hoping he will fight it off naturally. I am keeping a very close eye on him. I have to lure him out with food to look at him. He came out and ate last night which is a good sign that it isn't in his sucker mouth yet. It looked like it was slightly better so I have my fingers crossed.

Colouration is yellow and brown but pattern is variable depending on age and other factors. Caudial fin isn't too pointy. If it was quite expensive then it may have been one. Prices have really gone up in the last few months. All mine have quite different patterns I have attached one below.

100_0838.jpg

The Apongeton's have arrived today and have gone in behind the large piece of wood. The leaves are broader and a little shorter than the one I had previously. I will have to wait it out and see how they do. I was also very impressed with AE. Nice plants, good value and excellent service. Pics to follow soon.

The plec still has a swelling on its nose but it hasn't got any worse and he is still eating so I am still playing the waiting game.

Andy

Water change and maintanence completed today.

Took a couple of quick snaps of the recent changes. These two show the new Apongeton behind the wood. I can't wait until it grows taller and starts helping to fill out the back and give it a more jungle type feel.

100_0879.jpg

100_0880.jpg

I also found some more little Crypt Parva plants so I have started a new section of my carpet.

100_0878.jpg

Went to the LFS yesterday to buy some more Crypt parva to fill out the carpet. When I got home I realised I had bought something else. I believe it is Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

100_0886.jpg

So I have carefully portioned it and planted it up and I guess I will see how it goes in my low tech tank. I know others have had success with it in low tech tanks but I think they had nutritious substrates. I am hoping a few root tabs spread about and my minimal water column ferts will be enough for it to thrive so I have a mixed carpet.

A few more pics

A new full tank shot

100_0885.jpg

And a couple of end on shots with a slightly odd perspective

100_0888.jpg

100_0889.jpg

Keep forgetting to mention but last week I added another juvenile Chocolate Zebra to this tank. Found a real bargain while out during my hols last week. I put it in over a week ago but only spotted it yesterday for the 1st time since putting it in due to all the plants and hardscaping. My other plecs are a fair bit bigger so hopefully it will come out a bit more once settled. At least now I know where it likes to hide so should be able to find it a bit easier from now on.

I will add a pic when it becomes possible. Could take a few weeks though :lol:

Andy

Hiya awtong, looking forward to seeing some more pics and as much as i like plecs and would like to keep one, don't they get like really big?

Thanks,

It depends which ones you buy. You can get many plecs that stay very small e.g bulldog plecs get 6 - 8cm. I have 2 chocolate zebra's that get to around 10cm, 5 x Leopard frog's that get to about 12cm and 1 blue phantom that gets to about 18cm. The blue phantom was bought as a very small baby so will take quite a while to get to 18cm.

There is a lot of plec's that get very big its just down to careful research.

Andy

Quick update on the tank at present it is going fine. A few spots of GSA on some anubias and at the moment the Lilaposis is a little pale in places so we will see if this is just transition. The moss from Basil hasn't done much yet so fingers crossed it starts growing. The two apongeton I added have settled in and one of them has sent out 2 new leaves that are nearly reacing the water surface in only a few weeks.

A couple of pics. 1st one is what a believe to be a red ramshorn that came in on the moss from Basil. Apparently my loaches didn't eat him.

IMG_7553.jpg

And an iphone pic of the new C. zebra

IMG_4734.jpg

Andy

That c.zebra is awesome and now i am even more jealous of you :lol:

Seriously great looking plec ... and great that he (maybe he) is showing so much character already. Need to get myself to Bury I think because I really do love these plecs.

Have to be honest i really like the red ramshorns snails easerthegeaser has some in his tank and i think they are a nice addition.

dave

When we went over Bury they had 2 x Green phantoms (L200), 1 x mega clown plec a golden pekoltia which was a lovely looking fish and what the wife and I believed to be the C. Zebra. The reason I say that is because it wasn't listed and the owner sold it to me for £20 so I was stoaked. I actually went to get an L200 but ended up with this little one instead.

We went back the week later and they had sold every one except the golden pekoltia. You really have to search the tanks as they aren't always listed and you may get a bargain. It helps that I have been visiting that shop since I was super young and have known the owner all that time.

Andy

The place is Ornamental fish farm, Tut Hill, Fornham All Saints. Fornham is on the outskirts of Bury st Edmunds. Plecs seem to come and go so you could phone ahead but we just went over to take a browse and came home with that little stunner. It has grown in confidence again and now ventures all the way to the middle of the tank. This is where my most dominant Leopard frog lives and the little bugger sits just outside her little cave staring at her :lol:

Thanks mate, they are great tanks but your puddle is a whole different look with the shallow depth and different details. I should get a new full tank shot showing the Apongeton growth I can't wait till it fills out properly. I bought a new camera on Friday that should arrive tomorrow so I will test it out and try and get some good detailed photo's. Might get a full tank shot I am properly proud of as I haven't managed that yet. My wife can get better pics with her iphone than we could from our compact.

Back