• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

450L Vision adventure

Ok here are the updated pics. I am not good at it but I think they show the main features.

A couple of full tank shots
100_0856.jpg

100_0855.jpg

The left side
100_0857.jpg

The middle
100_0859.jpg

The right side
100_0860.jpg

Courgette time!
100_0858.jpg

Wow im so glad you have started your journal have been wondering for a while what your set up was like.

It looks really good and its even better reading a journal where someone knows and cares so much about his fish.
Everything looks so healthy and clean, haha definately gonna have a big clean before i post some new pics this weekend. Guess like me you are looking forward to your moss turning up. Can you easily remove the wood from your tank? Mines way to big i had to remove the support bar to get the wood in then reattach. Not looking forward to trying to thread the moss on :lol: Hopefully get a pic of my c.zebra this weekend too.

Im subscribed :D

pariahrob said:
Lovely tank! I'm going to have to make sure my mrs doesn't see the phantom. I just know she'll want one. Not in my 60-P!

He is a lovely fish and has been growing quite a bit recently. Yeh not for the 60p he should evetually reach up to 20cm! He doesn't come cheap though! I used to also have a green phantom but lost him during the tank move which was sad. The other half still wants another one!

ianho said:
will look even better when grown in...It's good to see a school of Congos as well.

Thanks Ian. Only a few more tweaks on planting and to add the moss coming from Basil and then I have to sit back and wait for it to grow.

Congo's are lovely but don't help to scale the tank. I think that is probably why they are less popular in larger planted tanks.

somethingfishy said:
Wow im so glad you have started your journal have been wondering for a while what your set up was like.

It looks really good and its even better reading a journal where someone knows and cares so much about his fish.
Everything looks so healthy and clean, haha definately gonna have a big clean before i post some new pics this weekend. Guess like me you are looking forward to your moss turning up. Can you easily remove the wood from your tank? Mines way to big i had to remove the support bar to get the wood in then reattach. Not looking forward to trying to thread the moss on :lol: Hopefully get a pic of my c.zebra this weekend too.

Yeh I had been a bit lazy in not starting my Journal. Fish is where I started out when I was very young 25+ years ago, the plants just make them look even better. My wood mostly comes out ok only the bigger piece is tricky, it's getting it back in the position I want that is hard work. I also get evils from the plecs who aren't happy when I take away their house! I get the wife to help with moss tying she is much better at it than me.

Can't wait to see your zebra. I added the other pic of mine to this thread so you can see the side profile. Can I tempt you with a Blue Phantom :lol:

Lovely Tank, and the Shoal of Congo's looks great.
I have to ask, how are you finding the Gold CAE with your angels. As they are known to be slime coat eaters and angels are a favorite of theirs.

He only got put into the tank as I broke down my other two tanks and had nowhere else to put him at the time. My wife has a passionate dislike for him as well. Now I can't catch the little bugger. I would try and trap him but knowing my luck one of the plecs would get stuck or something. To be honest though he has grown up with angels in a variety of tanks from when he was very young and he doesn't seem to bother them at all. For a gold CAE he also has a very calm personality compared with some I have seen.

awtong said:
somethingfishy said:

Yeh I had been a bit lazy in not starting my Journal. Fish is where I started out when I was very young 25+ years ago, the plants just make them look even better. My wood mostly comes out ok only the bigger piece is tricky, it's getting it back in the position I want that is hard work. I also get evils from the plecs who aren't happy when I take away their house! I get the wife to help with moss tying she is much better at it than me.

Can't wait to see your zebra. I added the other pic of mine to this thread so you can see the side profile. Can I tempt you now to buy a Blue Phantom :lol:

You know you are going to develop a really bad plec habit now. You have taken your first few steps now!

I definately have the plec bug :lol: hopefully easerthegeaser will bring his camera round tomorrow to take some pics of my new two, just wish they were as active as the two bristlenose plecs.

After seeing how pristine your tank is i need to have a good couple hours of maintenance before i take the pics :oops:

Would love a blue phantom, and i cant stop looking at Lnumbers but my tank is fully stocked and i dont think it would be fair to add any more :(

The bristlenose's will always be more active hunting for algae and aufwuchs / biofilm. The Zebra's don't really do this they wait for the tabs and veg to eat mainly but damn they are pretty and fun to watch.

Ok so I have been doing some more tweaking with my planting today.

I have moved the little green Crypt Amicorum from behind the little branch in the centre. This is the before shot.

100_0861.jpg

And I have replaced it with some more Crypt Bullosa that I had already. I think the texture and colour fits in better.
This is the after shot.

100_0864.jpg

I had a little space over on the left hand side next to another crypt Amicorum. The before shot.

100_0863.jpg

And after.

100_0876.jpg

I have also added some willow moss that my wife helped me tie to the wood that I received from Basil today. At the moment all the fish are pulling the crap out of the moss so who knows if it will take. Also behind the Amicorum I have seperated out some Crypt Becketti petchi plantlets these have gone down the front right hand side to grow out replacing the hydrocotyle that didn't take.

100_0865.jpg

Tank is still plodding along, sometimes I dream about injecting the "gas" to make it grow quicker!

Anyway I am after some opinion. I want to get some height from behind the larger piece of wood on the left hand side of the tank. I want to add a plant to the right of the giant Vallis to appear from behind this wood and it needs to be a low tech option. 2nd pic up from this post shows the area I mean. I was thinking of a larger Apongeton like Boivinianus (I grew this low tech once before and it worked well) or perhaps a Nymphaea lotus type plant. Any opinions on which would be best or any other options appreciated. Although they could look great Echinodorus are not an option as last time I tried 2 Ozelot's my plecs turned them into cheese plants!

Thanks, Andy

I have put some more thought and research into this and I think the Nymphaea leaves while growing would also get munched by the Plec gang. I have a few Balansae plants at the back that I am waiting to grow higher to mix in with the Vallis. I am swaying towards the Apongeton unless anyone has anything else to consider?

I am now trying out Aqua Essentials for the first time after ordering 2 Apongeton Boivinianus bulbs. When these arrive I will have a bit of a move round and post a new pic.

I was also going to add some more Crypt Balansae but Aqua Essentials didn't have any in stock :(

Back