• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

40 Litres Low Tech

Beautiful gourami.. I've always liked those

It died after I did 20% water change. Not sure why though. Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) were fine. It wasn’t eating frozen food so that could be it. Or that it was in a pretty bad shape from the LFS.

Sigh, I really hate lifestock deaths- it just makes you feel lousy as a care-giver.

My lil boy is gonna be upset when he comes over in a fortnight. Looks like I may have to have the ‘fish heaven’ talk with him soon. Or something more ‘real’. He didn’t really understood or cared fish dying in the past, but lately he is beginning to get more emotional as he grows to understand life.

How do you break these things to your kid?

Tank Update: Day 22

9C7CD5E3-5380-470E-A079-7F9333473A0C.jpeg

25323AD9-1D6D-49D5-A3E4-62ECE8800975.jpeg

97596499-E3B5-4016-86D4-FA611458F63C.jpeg

Plants are growing slowly, except the floaters and stem ones. I may trim the stem plants by removing their old bottom regions this weekend.

Added a few more fish:
Cory hasborus
Boraras Briggitae
Asian Rummynose

I’m planning to get a brine shrimp hatchery running soon, to feed them the occasional live food.

I was expecting nitrates to rise a little due to the added bioload but it is still within <5ppm. Nitrite is 0 ppm so the water parameters are fine for now.

Still no sign of algae but some old plant leaves are turning yellow and will need some prunning to prevent DOC build-up. My focus in the coming few weeks will be to encourage healthy slow and steady plant growths.

Sorry to hear about your gourami. Is it possible your plants are adjusting to submerged growth?

Shame about the gourami, they are really fussy about soft water and mature tanks. They are also generally in poor condition from the lfs as they don't travel well.
Stunning fish once settled though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Look-back: evolution of this tank [Part 1]

[Warning: Long post]

I realised something as I took some time digging through old pictures of my previous tanks. It seems that my scapes don’t involve much wood nor rocks.

Case in point, my very first 36x20x24cm tank:

EA3FBC32-93B5-4D2F-B3D7-CB213F93AC42.jpeg

Not the best of beginner scapes but that absence of hardscape to fill the void left as focal points (rule of thirds etc.) has made me a better aquascaper I feel. Because I had (and still am) to learn and predict how fast and tall certain plants grow.

Also, due to the lack of contrasting ‘rough’ wood or rock texture, I had to be mindful of leaf shapes, sizes, texture and colour; these all come into play to make certain plants stand out more than the rest.

I have deep admiration for Dutch scapers in this sense.

In the next few series of posts, I’ll try to recount and outline the evolution of this current tank, in order to relate my experience and mistakes. Perhaps some lessons could be learned from them.

I started off this tank by deciding on a layout: it was going to be island-style with sand surrounding it. I envision a tropical underwater jungle growing out of an island (who leaves in a pineapple underneath the sea?).

So, since it was going to be low tech, I considered Anubias Nana as the ‘base’ plant; these would act as the barrier or boundary that separates the beach from the jungle itself.

6828FB4A-1BE6-441B-A8D1-856AE64C281A.jpeg

I knew there were different types of Anubias but it was only during this process of setting up my aquascape that I became more aware of the nuances of each one of them. For example, there’s the normal version (big leaves, is it Barteri?) with dark green leaves, then another variant has medium size leaves smaller than the big ones, then another version of that has brighter coloured leaves, then another has smaller leaves (Nana petite) etc.

So knowing the various differences and purchasing a few to try out which goes where allowed me to train my eyes into designing a scape which could be aesthetically pleasing.

Lesson learnt: Experiment, invest a little. Get to know the physical details of your plants and plan your scape accordingly before even starting it. You can have a nice scape without wood or rocks :)

[End of Part 1, to be continued...]

Sorry to hear about your gourami. Is it possible your plants are adjusting to submerged growth?

Yes, it is possible. Nonetheless, I like to trim off leaves than don’t do well, especially those not new-growth ones so that more resources can be transported to the shoots or roots of the growing plant.

Looking back: evolution of this tank [Part 2]

[Warning: Long post]

In setting up a scape or fish tank, sometimes (no matter how experienced you are) one may make a few mistakes or encounter hiccups. It is inevitable that you overlook some minor thing or some kind of trouble transpires. Hence, it is a God-sent that such a forum like UKAPS (and of course others too) exists. When one is at a wit’s end, and being a beginner who knows close to nothing about plants or algae or whatever that seems rocket science at first glance, the quick technical know-how of veterans who have been in the hobby could prove vital to the success of your setup.

In my case, it was an assumption that proved costly in the beginning.

8D242419-1CE1-472C-9824-BDDDF290567F.jpeg

This was Version 1.0 of my scape. I had all the plants quarantined for a few days and was ready to put sand in (yes, sand could go in later: that’s the beauty of using only sand as your substrate- they don’t cloud the water as much as aquasoil or dirt). Which I then did.

5805E29C-19B4-4CF2-A141-CD7839E24F08.jpeg

All of the plants were purchased from a nearby LFS. Except for the floaters on the water surface, they were all Anubias. I wanted to have another different plant for the background, to break the monotony of Anubias monopoly, so lo and behold my excitement when I encountered the said background plant. It was a fern, I had never seen it nor used it in my previous set-ups and it had ‘leaves’ (fronds?) of a particularly intricate design. A sucker for unique patterns in an aquarium, my first instinct was to purchase a few bunch which were all tied onto blocks of wood.

A few days in, some of their leaves started to break and shed off. It was strange, I thought, because the Anubias were going strong, even the floaters were forming new growths!

Then, to my horror, the Internet revealed what the plant really was: Peacock Fern.

It was semi-aquatic, a swamp plant and would rot when submerged in an aquatic environment.

Disappointed, I disposed all of them into the trash bin (money down the drain, sobs) and began pondering of a back-up low light plant as a substitute.

Often in this hobby, we seek out plants of novelty, to challenge ourselves or be a tad different, more exotic from the crowd. But sometimes, that same old boring plant, the tried and tested so to speak, could be the more suitable one for the parameters of your tank.

Indeed, Java Fern was that plant which saved the day for me. Not my favourite but I had limited choices due to a lack of substrate.

E2B36119-C76B-4398-A8AC-8CFD0BEF99E2.jpeg

My story did not end here, because while at the LFS searching for Java Fern of suitable height for my scape, my curiousity for new plants engulfed me. I feel in love with Bucep!

I also had a go with H.tripartita on wabi-kusa and xmas moss when initially I had wanted to stick simply with Anubias as mid ground plants.

My only gripe from this experience is the unethical business practice of selling unlabelled non-aquatic plants. It has become a mission of mine to advise beginners at LFS these days to reconsider if I notice they have in their hands any non-aquatic plants.

Lessons Learnt:
- research, plan and ask around when shopping for plants, especially those you have never had experience with
- it is fine to go with the tried and tested; better boring yet safe than exotic with horror stories
- don’t let setbacks stop you; work around it and be creative: experiment, try new things out
- help others who wish to be helped in the hobby, at LFS or in forums like this; do pass your knowledge and experience to someone who needs it more :)

[End of Part 2, to be continued...]

Last edited:
I too have been caught out with non aquatic plants... definately agree with trying to educate stores on this one!

I also massively agree with going with the tried and tested. Also sticking to easy plants. The amount of time and money that goes into growing any other plants is just not worth it for me and you can create just as stunning tank without them in my (and many others!) oppinion.

Looking forward to your next update!

Hi all,It really p*sses me off. Unfortunately we have a load of threads where people have been sold <"Fittonia">, <"Selaginella">, <"Dracaena">, <"Ophiopogon"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Lately i started a discussion about it in the pet section of a large mutli market. The shop clerck absolutely agreed and said he informed managment about the customers complaining.

The managers vision on this is: See it as the flowers we sell, they die eventualy and need to be replaced with new ones. Still customers find it beautifull and buy them. Same goes for these non aqautic plants in an aqaurium, they are temporary ornamental decoration that needs to be replaced ones in a while. And so they just keep on selling them.. It seems there obviously is a market for it with more non complaining customers that indeed doesn't give a flying figure. Because they like the looks and replace the plant with a new one after it gets unsightly. Those that complain are likely accused of not doing their homework properly.. :rolleyes:

Thus the shop simply throws the resposibility into the customers lap. And this is actualy a rather common managers vision for 90% of the shops out there unfortunately and not only regarding plants. Rather obvious, we still see people walk out a store with a bowl and a goldfish in a bag, don't we.. It's not their job to educate, thier job is making a living by selling. :stop:

Is there anybody around here that ever got asked about their aqaurium and if it is suitable after choosing a fish in the LFS.? I guess not, they sell you what ever you ask, what you do with it after you payed is your bussines..

Last edited:
I guess it'd be okay if they were labelled correctly as non-aquatic plants. Tropica sell them in their blister pack range but they are clearly labelled as non-aquatic ornamental species.

Lately i started a discussion about it in the pet section of a large mutli market. The shop clerck absolutely agreed and said he informed managment about the customers complaining.

The managers vision on this is: See it as the flowers we sell, they die eventualy and need to be replaced with new ones. Still customers find it beautifull and buy them. Same goes for these non aqautic plants in an aqaurium, they are temporary ornamental decoration that needs to be replaced ones in a while. And so they just keep on selling them.. It seems there obviously is a market for it with more non complaining customers that indeed doesn't give a flying figure. Because they like the looks and replace the plant with a new one after it gets unsightly. Those that complain are likely accused of not doing their homework properly.. :rolleyes:

Thus the shop simply throws the resposibility into the customers lap. And this is actualy a rather common managers vision for 90% of the shops out there unfortunately and not only regarding plants. Rather obvious, we still see people walk out a store with a bowl and a goldfish in a bag, don't we.. It's not their job to educate, thier job is making a living by selling. :stop:

Is there anybody around here that ever got asked about their aqaurium and if it is suitable after choosing a fish in the LFS.? I guess not, they sell you what ever you ask, what you do with it after you payed is your bussines..

It is rather sad, zozo, from the rationale of such business owners because I feel it is kind of myopic. In the long run, beginners who have tried and failed (then give up) may exit the hobby. Over time, this could bring about a decline in long-term interest of the hobby, perhaps possibly affecting consumer demand and future profit-margins.

The potential and reward of this beloved hobby of ours is, if you ponder deeply, immerse: you get the chance to experience and learn, while exploring creatively, a multitude of disciplines which are related to Biology, Chemistry, Art & Design, DIY and the list goes on.

If only business owners can see the ‘long game’ and sacrifice their ‘knight/horse’ for an opening to checkmate in five. Then perhaps we could see more youths entering the hobby, without that feeling of being ‘cheated’ upon the first hurdle.

Yes it is indeed a sad bussines model..

Same go buy clothes but you don't realy have an eye for fashion.. Than you walk into a store.. And a 19 year old cheap labor beauty queen asks you "Can i help you sir?" If you say Yes you are handed down to a teenagers good taste and long life experience.. What ever you put on she will say you look darn handsome in it and 85% of the time you walk out the store dressed like a clown with bad taste looking like a fool. :rolleyes:

Also same as taking an incurance. Than is said "Oh this you have to insure this furniture for at least a 100.000.
So you pay for that.. But whats not realy told is you have to revalidate it each year again. Because if you hous burns down after 5 years and you like to claim your 100.000.. They will say, "No way".. It's 5 years old, that 's not worth a 100.000 anymore.. Here you have 10.000 and be happy!. So you payed 5 years vor top noch insurance without taking economic devaliation into account.. It realy happens a lot.. If you don't do your homework, you get taken for a ride..

Last edited:
For what it's worth...the sign of a responsible grower/retailer with it's eyes firmly set on the long game...

30821461648_6cf3a5d5f1_c.jpg
I

And the label on the back reads...

42881777150_5be8e7fd6a_c.jpg
IMG_1406 by Tim Harrison, on Flickr

Hi all,
If only business owners can see the ‘long game’ and sacrifice their ‘knight/horse’ for an opening to checkmate in five. Then perhaps we could see more youths entering the hobby, without that feeling of being ‘cheated’ upon the first hurdle.
That is really it, I spend a lot of time on other forums tell people that actively growing plants are major single factor that makes fish keeping easier, but then you have the issue that retailers are selling non-aquatic plants, that have no chance of growing in the aquarium, and that all the plant suppliers are growing plants emersed, so that they have to adapt to growing under-water in the tank.

I understand that economics are always the driving force in commerce, but the aquatics industry seems to suffer disproportionally from the peddlers of disinformation, snake oil and magic bullets, and this can only be to the detriment of the whole hobby in the longer term.

cheers Darrel

I understand that economics are always the driving force in commerce, but the aquatics industry seems to suffer disproportionally from the peddlers of disinformation, snake oil and magic bullets, and this can only be to the detriment of the whole hobby in the longer term.

Somehow simmular with cosmetics and the alternative medicine industry. Never mind the food industry..

And this is not a hoaks.

Dang, Mr zozo. Think you may have just spoilt my daily breakfast of coco crunch and choc milk...

Oh well, one step closer to being Iron Man? :p

Yes here they do, some shops about fish and size about substrate for cory's and so on, not for plants. Sometimes they lack knowledge and give wrong info but thet try at least..

Tank Update: Day 27

I did 20% water change and trimmed unhealthy leaves, and also got rid of ‘parent’ floaters.

For the two stem plants, I took them out and discarded their bottom stems.

6A9ED972-9A7F-4282-B3F5-245B61D34910.jpeg

Lush green plants with clean (for now ha) white sand.

8E429542-4458-476B-96D7-F442223EBE68.jpeg

As long as the stem plants keep growing new leaves, I’m satisfied and happy :)

Should I give the Glossostigma a trim? Or just let them creep up a bit more?

6F21272C-0CA1-450B-B5C3-359A973554EC.jpeg

Fattest two fish in the tank: otto cats. I can’t remember which is which but my girlfriend calls one Mario, the other Luigi.

83C79E16-8E47-462B-AC3D-BEE27617AEF6.jpeg

There’s a lil IKEA recliner in front of the tank. Beside it is a CB2 bookshelf with short stories books I should start on. Sorry Carver, you gotta wait.

Back