• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 45 x 45 open top journal

lowered water more or less to just above the grass.

The shop has been decent, they are going to contact the distributor before they will swap mine out in case there are know issues which is fair enough.

Hi Trebor, Sorry to hear this:( Great its being sorted,

I know its a bit late Quick tip for the next cupboard. If your cupboard has bare MDF at the back and bottom boards most do :rage: Give them a couple of coats of pva glue this stops moisture getting in and blowing the mdf boards.

You would think the company who makes them would do this ???

Hi Trebor, Sorry to hear this:( Great its being sorted,

I know its a bit late Quick tip for the next cupboard. If your cupboard has bare MDF at the back and bottom boards most do :rage: Give them a couple of coats of pva glue this stops moisture getting in and blowing the mdf boards.

You would think the company who makes them would do this ???
All panels were completely covered in laminate which I was quite surprised at!

I can only assume humidity in the house has caused this....

Great service from The Abyss....went to collect a new stand this morning and can return the old one when I have got the new one erected.

Haha... Yep. I may even change the layout. Undecided at the moment.

Have you ever used eheim double taps?

They're nice to have on a filter that doesn't have built in "taps" but have a look at the construction - they usually affect flow rate to some degree re the (relatively) narrow aperture (very useful valve when you want to control flow) ... as do any atomizers/in line heaters etc, etc

It is but means that u have to strip my tank and start again... Don't fancy lifting it with stuff still inside
If you have sufficient help, it should be possible to slide tank (with substrate but minimal water) directly onto the new stand ... I'd likely remove the rock though as you need to be able to manipulate the tank without any torque on the seams.
If there is a mat under the tank or you can't arrange both stands completely level & seamlessly adjacent (it may be easier to "push" the tank from the "short" side as you can apply even pressure across the width of the tank, then have your second person just guiding the far end), don't attempt this.

Of course I'm conservative, so I'd strip the tank to move ;)

Building the new stand today with the help of my dad!

Didn't fancy attempting on my own and my girlfriend wasn't to keen...

Decided that I am going to completely rescape and start over as the algae was becoming a little annoying.

Will post updates

Hi all,
I was dubious about them, but then I bought a pre-owned filter that came with them, and I was converted. I would struggle to justify buying them new, but they are nearly always available second-hand via Ebay.

The reason I like them is that they allow you to clean your hosing without opening the filter and getting air in it etc. I have a sponge pre-filter (that I clean regularly), but I only clean the interior filter media once or twice a year (and even then it often doesn't need it), but the hoses need cleaning much more regularly, and it only takes seconds to shut the tap, take the hose off, clean it, re-attach it etc.

cheers Darrel

Tank is now empty....
f2169a0167a6f6211a499231872b8073.jpg

I think that I am going to completely change the layout of the tank and going to purchase new hardscape...

Give me some ideas!

Last edited:
Any ideas what you are going to do yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep... New tank and cabinet! This second one has bowed...apparently they have never seen it happen before
19e297bf1f09e408ae786c8ac4823f60.jpg

The door is hung straight so you can see it going from about 5mm to nothing

The eheim cabinets seem to be much higher quality so possibly one of those but will see what abyss say tomorrow... Waiting to here back from the MD of the aquarium manufacturer...

Fancy a steel framed stand but can't justify the high cost.

However, layout wise, thinking of going iwagumi with monte Carlo and hair grass. Being speaking with freshwater shrimp and they seem willing to assist in getting the right rocks etc before I buy. Going to be after my holiday though now!

steel framed stand but can't justify the high cost
I had my frame made by a local iron worker/blacksmith. It's not as fancy as an nice cabinet but it holds my 400 gallon tank like a rock:) and affordable:thumbup:

I had my frame made by a local iron worker/blacksmith. It's not as fancy as an nice cabinet but it holds my 400 gallon tank like a rock:) and affordable
I got a quote from a local place which was £1200 including new aquarium... Bit steep in my opinion, although was in gloss white and using optwihite panels to the front and sides.

Will wait to see what abyss come up with but definitely not keeping current aquarium incase the seals have been stressed due to the weight which has been unsupported.

Back