• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Songs from the Man Cave!

Hi all,
I was very sorry to hear of <"the death of Thom Bell today">. A name that might not mean much to younger readers, but a man <"who wrote">, arranged and produced some of the greatest "Philly Soul" music of the 1970s. It has been a bad year for soul fans, because we also lost another great song-writer in <"Lamont Dozier".

However what really caught my eye, in his obituary, was:
....... Bell remained financially savvy, steering clear of drink and drugs because, he told me, “I never wanted to embarrass my mother. Heck, no. My only hobby was tropical fish.
Unfortunately it is now too late to ask him if that was in a planted tank, but here are The Spinners with "I'll be around".

cheers Darrel

😢

Posted by @PARAGUAY
In memory of Terry Hall The Specials and also The Selector brought ska to the nation.
Still remember how The Specials captured the mood of the UK with Ghost Town.
Unemployment, community's in disarray, shutting down engineering and steel, mines, racial tension it's all captured in that song.

Hi all,
Another pivotal motown icon shuffles off this mortal coil.
Barrett Strong.
Sad day, so soon after <"Lamont Dozier (and Thom Bell)">.

He co-wrote some great songs with Norman Whitfield for the <"Temptations"> - "Ball of Confusion", "Papa was a Rolling Stone" (another one of my <"sing it in the shower songs">), "I can't get next to you" etc, but I give you "Smiling faces sometimes" by the Undisputed Truth <"(also mentioned"> by @roadmaster).

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

What a tune and he really was "the third brother of five". It plays at the start of "Jackie Brown", as well as in "Across 110th Street".
Yes, I loved Jackie Brown... I think it might have been one of Tarantino's best IMO... It probably meant something that I happened to live in LA around that time when it came out... around the same time as the The Big Lebowski btw. - another one of my favorites.😎

Cheers,
Michael

Bit of Mongolian Metal to kick off the morning!

Nice... :) It's likely a spinoff from the Huun Huur Tu tour with traditional Mongolian throat singers. About a decade ago they toured the world and also had a live performance at Berkley. Where western artists accompanied the last track they played with electric instruments such as base guitar with a more modern western beat. They came back in 2021 performing live in Bremen Germany.

Worth to give a listen, it definitively has some psychedelic vibe to it. Mongolian Trance...

Back